Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Warranty, Dealer versus DIY

How many people do their own basic repairs versus taking it back to dealer for warranty service.

Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
It would have to be a near catastrophic failure before I would go back to any dealer. Several on here have had pre-approved parts shipped to them from Thor for DIY repairs under warranty. The drama and waiting lists at the dealers is more than I wish to deal with. Part of buying an RV is knowing how to fix an RV...and if you don't, someone on this forum will be able to help you.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:19 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It would have to be a near catastrophic failure before I would go back to any dealer. Several on here have had pre-approved parts shipped to them from Thor for DIY repairs under warranty. The drama and waiting lists at the dealers is more than I wish to deal with. Part of buying an RV is knowing how to fix an RV...and if you don't, someone on this forum will be able to help you.
My thoughts mirror yours. On my last coach the only time it went to the dealer was for recalls. On my new coach I have fixed 5 or 6 things myself but have had no luck in getting Thor to send me parts. Thor has directed me to take my coach to CW, which I refuse. Thank god for Amazon and eBay.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:15 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Same for me. It would have to be a pretty impossible job for me to take the coach into a dealer, especially a Camping World. I've been fortunate so far as the things that have gone wrong (or were gifted to me by Thor) have been minimal and within the scope of what I can do.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:26 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Same here. Haven’t been back to the dealer since we picked it up. Don’t plan on going either unless it’s absolutely necessary. Even then, I think I’d go to an independent repair shop rather than CW!
Old 08-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We take care of unit completely. Have never returned to dealer. Most RV systems not much different than house. We have not been plagued by build issues so far (knock on wood).

We consider going to larger unit but this thing is hard to beat for overall simplicity and general ease of use.

If we went larger and saw issues like many, it would sour us on the whole RV experience.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Ours was back to the dealer once and hasn't returned.

It has, however, been back to factory service in Wakarusa, IN. I highly recommend that option for warranty work if you can swing it.

Now that we're well out of warranty (4 year old unit) I fix what I can and then have a mechanic fix what I can't.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #8

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I don't bring it back to the dealer (CW) but I do bring it to a service center for warranty work. All they do it repairs, they don't sell MH's. I go there when they open in the morning, they take a look to see what parts it needs, then I drive it home while they order the parts. When the parts come in they set up a appointment for me and fix it while I wait.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #9

THOR #11130
I didn't realize Thor has authorized service centers that are not actually dealers. That's a great set up for you. Anyone know if there's a list of such places? They would obviously do better work since service ids all they do. Where is the service center you use?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We are at the other end of the conversation: few skills, few tools, and a lot of trepidation...
We had ours back to the dealer for the initial "Punch-List" items, and that's almost what it came down to: somebody getting punched!
We're trying to learn what we can about making repairs, and we are also looking hard at a non-franchised place; for getting it serviced.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #11

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
Gritz

I use Tony's RV Parts and Service, Inc. It is located in Lexington SC. (803) 894-3071. Unlike CW, they don't need to do the work twice.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We found a place called "Dr. RV", in Bloomingburg, NY
We'll give them a try with the whole winterization process in Mid-October, and see how it goes...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #13

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
I have done all my own repairs, Thor did send me part that were needed on 5 different occasions. They also sent me wiring diagrams. I am retired and enjoy doing the repairs as well as some upgrades.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #14

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Although when out of warranty I do all repairs or maintenance on both coach and chassis, myself. (within my capability) I am very fortunate, my dealer, Carpenters Campers, Pensacola is 4 miles away. I have been able to use the RV while awaiting parts and to schedule when there is an opening on a specific day. I normally knew the same day if they have Thor approval and when to expect parts and a service opening.. Also, Thor has always been good to work with.

Posts here of waiting months to get your unit out of the black hole (awaiting parts or repair) at the dealer are a ridiculous way to do business...
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #15

THOR #11130
Dippy...how did they get Thor authorization for warranty work from a service company that doesn't sell Thor products? Did you initiate that?
Old 08-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #16

State: Alabama
THOR #12091
I do most of the repairs and upgrades myself. I have corresponded with Thor Warranty to get some simple parts shipped for me to install. I had a cracked grease seal on the Pitman arm (steering) replaced under warranty by Ford at my local dealership. I had a new windshield installed under warranty at CW by a contracted window installer. Currently our MH is at CW having warranty work performed on the front drop down bunk which has a broken drivers side pulley and bracket. Each time I have had warranty work done by CW I always let them get pre-authorization and parts delivered before making an appointment for repairs. We are able to enjoy our MH while waiting for repairs to be performed instead of leaving our MH at the service center. I don’t understand why some people let their MH sit at the shop. You really have to engage in the process because your MH isn’t the only one that is getting work done. Take pictures, call Thor and speak to a Warranty Service Representative, email them the photo’s to be put in your file and follow up often. If you just sit back and complain then you’ll end up being very unhappy and that is not healthy. Lastly, CW doesn’t pay their people very well from what I’ve seen. They have a big turnover in employees and that can affect the efficiency and quality of the service they provide. Bottom line is that it’s a good idea to know your MH and how to fix the basics. Making modifications and upgrades depends on your skill level. Since modifications and upgrades aren’t covered under you warranty then find someone trustworthy and have them do it.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
I do all of my own repairs as much as I have the skills to do and then big stuff needs to find a local repair shop or mobile RV repair. Now that we are out of Thor warranty it is all out of pocket.

We full time and our original dealer sold to Camping World anyway so we only have so many options as we travel.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #18

State: Alabama
THOR #12091
Warranty, Dealer versus DIY

The process to get pre-authorization and parts for warranty work can take a month or longer. The time it takes to make the actual repairs can be a matter of hours or days. There is usually no need to leave your MH at CW waiting for months and from I’ve experienced they don’t want your MH sitting around either. Example, I contacted CW in February 2018 and provided them and Thor with photos of my leaking windshield. Thor would only cover the replacement of the windshield with the installation of a new windshield shipped from Thor to CW in California. Preauthorization was granted, the glass was shipped, two weeks later it arrived in California and it was broken. Add a little lag time in communications and we’re into mid April. Another windshield is shipped by Thor and a month goes by without any word on the shipping status. I send a few emails to my rep at CW that aren’t answered then call over there to find out she doesn’t work there anymore. Good news is my new windshield is intact and sitting in the parts department. I make an appointment at CW and my new windshield is installed in part of a day (June 4, 2018). So the moral here is it took about 4 months to get the problem fixed but our MH only spent a couple days at CW.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: California
THOR #7103
Dash Air Conditioner

Quote:
I like that . . . and we too have had approved parts shipped to us for DIY repairs and avoid going to any dealer. Last month when we were 2,000+ miles from our house we attempted the repair when the Air Conditioning on the dash became intermittent. We checked the fuses and traced the wiring we even thought we found the problem - NOPE that's not it. So knowing we were looking at driving through record temperatures in the desert on the way home, off to Ford we go.

We stopped at the 1st Ford dealer on our route and the very helpful Service Adviser called every Ford dealer in the area and the areas we planned visiting to find one that could take us that day or next. The best we could do was the following week so we set the appointment and went camping.

The result: though it is a Ford dash panel, the technician could not find anything wrong and could not duplicate the problem. The Service Adviser said since they do not have the wiring diagrams we need to go to Thor, do not take it to another Ford dealer.

I called a local Thor authorized service facility and was told it would be a first for Thor to work on dash A/C - they don't do chassis work.

The A/C worked 9 days and then became intermittent again.

From the troubleshooting we have done, the A/C stops working and the fan stop blowing when the temperature goes up either hot outside and/or hot engine . . . and/or we hit a bump in the road. We lose all auxiliary power i.e. windshield wipers and cameras at the same time. We traced the common ground and it disappears in the dash.

So we are looking to our fellow RVers . . . suggestions on how to proceed? Does anyone have a wiring diagram you are willing to share? I've tried getting one from Thor and was told there was nothing they can send me.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #20

Model: Quantum KM24
State: Georgia
THOR #8438
I take ours to Augusta RV here in Evans, Ga. They are an authorized Thor repair facility. Been using them since they opened several years ago. Great service.

Wendell
Evans, Ga