Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 38sq
State: California
THOR #4598
Warranty Service for Onan Generator

I have an Onan RV QD 8000 generator on my 2016 Tuscany XTE 34 ST that I have been unable to get to start. I have had the coach for about 3 ½ months. When I first encountered this problem I called the dealer and made the 50-mile trip to his facility. I dropped off the coach along with a list of 4 or 5 other items/issues that needed to be addressed. My wife and I went out for breakfast and returned in a couple of hours to find the generator running. The dealer informed us that all items had been appropriately addressed. We left the dealer’s facility and returned to the campground. We started the generator as soon as we arrived at the campground, ran it for about 10 to 15 minutes, shut the generator down and went about our business at the campground. An hour or so later I attempted to fire up the generator one final time. It would not start. Shorepower, 30 amps, was connected. There was a soft clicking but the generator did not turn over. I have contacted Thor several times in an attempt to resolve/troubleshoot this issue, to no avail.

Now with the background out of the way, here is my question. I make an appointment with an authorized Cummings/Onan warranty service center, cutting the dealer out of the loop, to resolve this issue. However, in 2 separate conversations with the Cummings/Onan service center they have made it abundantly clear that I would have to agree to pay them as much as $266 dollars to identify the generator problem. If it was determined that the fault was with the generator, then it would be covered under the warranty and no $266 charge. OTOH, if the problem was with a coach system other than the generator then I would be responsible to pay for any work and possibly parts necessary to resolve the problem.
After giving this appropriate consideration I believe it would be in my best interest to take my coach to a Thor dealer, not the one that sold it to me as they are beyond horrible, and work the generator issue thru a Thor authorized dealer. I have an existing appointment with a Thor dealer for other warranty in about 3 weeks. I have come to the conclusion that it would be in my best interest to work the generator issue through the Thor dealer. This should keep me somewhat at arm’s length and lessen my financial exposure. What say you voices of wisdom and experience? Thank you in advance for any helpful feedback.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:39 AM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
If you want to avoid out of pocket expenses to resolve the generator issue, you have no choice but to work thru a Thor dealer and your warranty. I would also engage someone from Thor customer service and work with them and the Thor dealer until the issue with the generator is identified and resolved. Once you explain the situation to a Thor customer service rep, they may also have some suggestions for how to work thru your generator issue. If you need a name and email address of a Thor customer service rep, be happy to share who I converse with.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:51 AM   #3

THOR #4598
Yes Tom if you can point me to someone at Thor that you feel is a cut above I would be very happy to have that contact info. My MO has been to call the Thor tech/warranty line and I usually end up with one of three guys, friendly and helpful to an extent but not necessarily highly motivated. Also, I'm attending a Thor Diesel Club rally commencing October 5th. I'm hoping some of the more experienced owners will be able to provide some insight. Let me know what you got and thanks so much.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #4

THOR #4486
Here you go. I have been working with Tim since November and he has been very responsive. I also met with him in Indiana when I did the factory tour. Good luck.

Tim Rhoades:
Northeast Territory Customer Service
Direct: 574-584-2081
trhoades@tmcrv.com
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 09-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #5

THOR #4598
Thank you Tom, if I don't resolve the issue while I'm attending the Thor Diesel Club rally I will certainly contact Tim and see if he can help me resolve the issue. Thank you so much for the feedback.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #6

THOR #4486
Bad news. Found out today that Tim Rhoads has just left Thor. Back to the drawing board on finding someone as responsive as he was.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
Old 09-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

THOR #4598
Wow, isn't that always the case. Regardless, as I said previously, I'll try to work with TDC members at the rally in San Diego next week if that isn't successful I'll try another telecon with Thor; finally I'm driving approximately 850 miles to work with another Thor dealer on other warranty issues. I'll include the generator if it isn't resolved via one of the two previous approaches.

Nevertheless, I want to thank you again for your effort to assist me.

Dave
Old 09-27-2016, 12:32 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Georgia
THOR #5536
We had an issue with our first genny. Took it to a Cummins Shop south of Atlanta. I can not say enough good things about these guys. They had it up and running in no time. They didn't charge me because it was a failure of the fuel pump, but even if they did. $200 or $300 to not have to mess with a dealer would have been worth it.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:48 AM   #9

THOR #4598
Yep oldgold, I think there is a common level of affinity for the dealers among most of us. As a matter of fact I was in discussion with a diesel mechanic the other and he informed me that most of his peers refer to the dealers as the "stealers." I definitely did not argue with that descriptor as I'm quite sure he was not referring to the team from Pittsburgh.

BTW, it was my impression that the best skill set for solving my generator dilemma was with the Onan boys but felt that I could be at some financial risk if I went directly there. I(f it isn't solved to my satisfaction soon I may be at there door. Sometimes it is just better to bite the bullet, spend the money and move on. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that spending the money will bring satisfaction.

Dave
Old 09-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance
BTW, it was my impression that the best skill set for solving my generator dilemma was with the Onan boys but felt that I could be at some financial risk if I went directly there.
The Onan/Cummins people will honor the warranty.

When we had generator issues I first called our dealer who basically told me to take it to Onan/Cummins because that is what they would do. So instead of waiting an extra day or so for our dealer to haul the RV over to them I just took it there myself.

The Onan/Cummins shop by us was great; even told me I could get all my engine service done there (not just the genny but the V-10 as well).

It was rather amusing seeing my little Axis parked among all the heavy trucks... (had a similar experience with the alignment shop).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #11

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Sundance, have you tried starting/stopping the gen set using the controls on it. It seems to me that if you don't use the inside coach generator controls and just use the controls on the side of the gen set you may get a better idea of who will be responsible for this issue.

If your generator works perfectly by not using Thor installed controls/buttons/switches then it may end up being a Thor issue. If it still won't start using the direct controls then I would guess it is a straight Onan problem.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #12

THOR #4598
Hi Joe, yes in this case I have tried the external controls on the generator itself. But that is a good reminder in troubleshooting isolation. I really appreciate the fact that someone on this forum is nearly always going to point out a detail that one of us may have overlooked. Thank you for your feedback.

Dave