Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 10:17 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 30c
State: Texas
THOR #31923
Warranty work

Can anyone explain why it takes so long to get warranty work done from the dealer that you bought from? Calling has done little good as the service rep is out of the office and the other reps will pass it on. We've had our ace 30c since Sept of last year and it has been in for warranty work 2 times now for a total of 3 months. Really tired of the bs.

Old 04-11-2024, 11:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Because the dealer already has your money for the RV, gets paid pittance for warranty work, and you let them keep your RV while they were "waiting on warranty approval and parts from Thor". Did you call Thor to check on the status of your warranty claims from the dealer?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 04-12-2024, 12:52 AM   #3
It's 'towed', not toad.

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Tell us why it's in for service.

If it's in there for loose screws and minor things that you could fix yourself...thats why it takes so long.

If you're in there because your fridge doesn't work or your windshield is loose
Then
It take so long because other folks are in there for loose screws and wrinkled valances.

THAT is truly why.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:36 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Spot on. Minor things that can be easily repaired at home or on the road should be. The dealer is not set up to do repairs. They are there to cash checks from buyers and finance companies. It took me a while to learn that RV dealers are not structured like car dealerships. Car dealerships make most of their money in the service and parts department, not the sales floor. RV dealerships make their money in the finance department not the service bay. Since the dealer has already made it's income, your service work is not important to their bottom line hence the lack of interest in fixing your baby. Another difference is that RV manufacturers do not hold their dealerships to a customer care standard that auto manufacturers do. The manufacturer has already cashed the check and moved on. In the auto industry, buyers will be back looking for a new car in 2 or 3 years. That's not likely to happen with your RV. So they don't bother ensuring your satisfaction.

If your coach is usable, I would pick it up and ask Thor to authorize any needed repairs from an independent RV repair facility. My 6 year old coach always has a list of 3 or 4 things that need attention. If I took it to a dealer, I would be out of useable RV time as well as the cash to pay the bill. I choose to order the parts, mostly from the jungle site, and keep using my coach. When the parts come in, I do the repair. Most of the stuff that goes wrong is easily fixed.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:59 AM   #5

THOR #31518
Yes checked with Thor and all work was approved 2 days after it was submitted. Slide mechanism needs to be replaced, rear leveling jacks needs replacing,no water from city or pump, black water flushe not working. All of the items were approved onmarch 21
Old 04-12-2024, 03:52 AM   #6
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
A lot of dealers use their techs to prep delivery of new units. That is the top priority of the dealership. Second is ordering the parts. They may make a big list of things to order and place it once every two weeks to a month. Then there is are the parts in stock or not? If not, then the parts are ordered from the manufacture and your parts are filled on a first come first fill basis. It can take three months or more depending on just when the factory is scheduled to manufacture said part, then ship to most likely Lippert, and finally to your dealership. Most dealerships will not work on your RV until all parts are in for all the work that needs to be done are in.

Before I purchased our Palazzo, I had a fifth wheel. This process was fully explained to me. Thankfully the manufacture allowed and approved independent RV repair places. Note I had my RV repair shop approved in two days to do my factory service. They did have to approve the facility prior to any service. For my repairs, except waiting for parts, the repairs were quick and finished better that the dealership. Communication with the facility was quick and easy. Don't you think that Thor would value the customer more than the lousy dealerships? Note some dealerships are good. So you cannot blame all of them on the lousy ones. Your dealership maybe very good and are waiting on Thor to get the parts manufactured, shipped to them, and then ship to your dealership. So it may not be their fault, but it is their fault for not communicating with you. Perhaps Thor should be able to get them to respond! My fifth wheel manufacture did for several owners when they were in the same boat as you.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:00 AM   #7
It's 'towed', not toad.

THOR #13932
There is no reason to leave an rv for those repairs.
Fix the pump and tank yourself,or,somewhere else, and have them call you when theyre ready with the other parts.
Done right, and you wouldnt have been without the rv for a day so far.

Chasing a $55 pump as a warranty thing is not such a good idea.

Warranty blindness and the pursuit of 'free' tends to cost dearly.

Tell us what's wrong with the jacks.
You might be a $25 hose away from getting your rv back.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:39 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Not to mention any damages to your mh while sitting on there lot, I took my Tuscany to Elkhart a few years ago for warranty work, leveling leg was leaking, engine a/c not working, the bird wasn’t working, and a few smaller issues, Lazy Days Rv had it for 6 months, and a/c had to go to a freightliner dealer, I had kept a list of things wrong for about a year before I took it in, wasn’t until leveling leg was leaking, and extended warranty was about to expire that I took it in, everything got fixed except the bird which I ended up doing my self as they replaced the trombetta solenoid which burnt up within a week, replaced it with a aftermarket higher rated amp on and still works years later, but someone hit the corner of the rear slide and knocked it out of sync.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:46 PM   #9

THOR #31923
So when does the lemon law come into play .30 days or more of a substantial defect from a slide mechanism seems to be a candidate.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:48 PM   #10

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by asherdav View Post
Yes checked with Thor and all work was approved 2 days after it was submitted. Slide mechanism needs to be replaced, rear leveling jacks needs replacing,no water from city or pump, black water flushed not working. All of the items were approved onmarch 21
You in Texas. This list is a very small list of things I found on my punch list before and during my PDIs with TMC Dealers. The dealers refused to fix some things that TMC said were not covered by warranty, and said others they would do after the purchase. I walked... twice, but I thanked them for being truthful with me about what to expect.

With that said, I can't imagine that rear leveling jacks would need to be replaced? Statistically one might fail but two? Getting no water from pump is easy to verify if that is truly the case. I assume you have water in freshwater tank? Turn on the pump, I assume you hear it? If not replace the pump, but that does not explain no water from City? What did the dealer say or did Thor tell you were all of the parts ordered? Not getting water from city is likely due to valves not set right for City Input. Again I am assuming you have water coming out of the hose.

On slide mechanism, you said TMC approved two days later. Did TMC or Dealer tell you if the Dealer has the parts? You (we) need that answered to know what to do next.

In the meantime, as your warranty will soon expire, find you a local mobile tech. That was the best advice I ever got. I have not been back to a dealer in years.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-12-2024, 12:49 PM   #11

THOR #31923
So you think I should repair the slide myself!
Old 04-12-2024, 12:53 PM   #12

THOR #31923
This is the second time for warranty work. First time had 17 items, and yes some were petty but still sec9nd time for water and slide. Slide was making Poping noise and was told it was seals.second time now it's the mechanism.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:07 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by asherdav11@gmail.com View Post
So when does the lemon law come into play .30 days or more of a substantial defect from a slide mechanism seems to be a candidate.
In most states, for other than a chassis problem, it doesn't.

You should have received your State's Lemon Law booklet when you bought your RV which would explain the Lemon Law and how it applies to your purchase. Otherwise, look up the Lemon Law on your State's Attorney General's website of your State statutes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
Old 04-12-2024, 02:08 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Your relationship with the dealership is critical. If you have a good relationship, the service guys will treat you right and try to get you in and out quickly. If you don't, they tend to push you off. Take some time developing that "friendly" relationship with them and you will see quicker turn arounds for repairs.

Paul
Old 04-12-2024, 02:14 PM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
No, you shouldn't have to fix the slide yourself.

As suggested it would be in your best interest to see if there is, 1) a mobile RV tech in your area that can perform the work. Or 2) An independent repair shop that is authorized to do the work. I know it is a PIA, but LT nailed it when he said that when we expect RV dealerships to perform the same as auto dealerships we are in for a rude awakening.

Finally, if the coach is drivable, I wouldn't leave it sitting on a lot at any dealership for months at a time. Batteries need to be kept up, the engine and generator need to be exercised. None of the above will be done sitting on a dealer lot.
The dealer can diagnose the problems, order parts and call you when they are in then schedule your appointment.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 04-12-2024, 03:03 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
There are independent RV techs throughout TX. Thor MC will usually authorize a repairs by them if their estimate is reasonable. There are repair only RV shops (I know of three in the San Antonio area.). Again with a reasonable estimate Thor MC will authorize the repair.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:05 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
This is the second time for warranty work. First time had 17 items, and yes some were petty but still sec9nd time for water and slide. Slide was making Poping noise and was told it was seals.second time now it's the mechanism.
Have you called Thor and talked to their customer service? Have you sent a certified letter to Thor letting the know this is multiple repairs not being done in a reasonable ( Normally 21 days )? Any warranty conversations with Thor mean nothing unless they are by certified mail which puts them on notice per Magnuson Moss.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:18 PM   #18
It's 'towed', not toad.

THOR #13932
Invoked lemon law without a scintilla of research....

I understand frustration but I also understand nuance.
Dealer might be waiting for them to take their RV and shove it due to relationship.

If there's anyone here who thinks this is below what a dealer might do...rethink.

Some of the stories told are ludicrous for a reason.
Incompetence isn't always the reason.

Tacos, smiles, handshakes, yadda yadda.

Old 04-12-2024, 05:10 PM   #19

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Spot on. Minor things that can be easily repaired at home or on the road should be. The dealer is not set up to do repairs. They are there to cash checks from buyers and finance companies. It took me a while to learn that RV dealers are not structured like car dealerships. Car dealerships make most of their money in the service and parts department, not the sales floor. RV dealerships make their money in the finance department not the service bay. Since the dealer has already made it's income, your service work is not important to their bottom line hence the lack of interest in fixing your baby. Another difference is that RV manufacturers do not hold their dealerships to a customer care standard that auto manufacturers do. The manufacturer has already cashed the check and moved on. In the auto industry, buyers will be back looking for a new car in 2 or 3 years. That's not likely to happen with your RV. So they don't bother ensuring your satisfaction.

If your coach is usable, I would pick it up and ask Thor to authorize any needed repairs from an independent RV repair facility. My 6 year old coach always has a list of 3 or 4 things that need attention. If I took it to a dealer, I would be out of useable RV time as well as the cash to pay the bill. I choose to order the parts, mostly from the jungle site, and keep using my coach. When the parts come in, I do the repair. Most of the stuff that goes wrong is easily fixed.
THIS is the perfect plan for RV bliss and happiness! Take it one step further and buy a $600 3D printer, learn to use it and make your own plastic parts. I just replaced a crappy Lippert Components USB port with one from the Jungle... printed a plate to cover the original screw holes. Now I'm working on custom phone holders.

I treat our motorhome as a big hobby box on wheels.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:18 PM   #20
It's 'towed', not toad.

THOR #13932
It is indeed a big hobby box.
Yours is an excellent description.

Mine has things in it a Newell owner doesn't.
I did that.

I gave my printer and dozens of rolls of from wood to carbon fiber, to a neighbor who has a scale railroad so he could build trees and people and stuff.
I became 80% proficient but couldn't come up with enough projects to make it a practicality.

(You should make us an improved version of those sorry-ass window-screen clips)

On etsy or fiver someone can print/build me what I want out of gold or stainless or plastic or wax easier and cheaper than I could.
So,
Even if you don't have a printer, you can have a part.

Closed Thread