Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2021, 02:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Washing RV

Unable to find any information on what to use to wash exterior of RV. What RV wash does the job well? I have been using a wash that was recommended at Camping World, but do not find it very good. I am continuously trying to remove streaks, flowing down from the upper part of RV, going over them several times, with little success. What are you using that does the job successfully?

Old 06-17-2021, 02:20 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I use Blue Coral wash/wax concentrate from Wal Mart.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:28 AM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I use whatever car wash concentrate I happen to have on hand. But this stuff!……This stuff is magic on black streaks. Don’t recall who it was, but someone on this forum turned me on to it a few years back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	31423  
Old 06-17-2021, 02:28 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I use Slick wash n wax in a foam cannon. Also requires the use of a soft brush or microfiber mitt.

Wax it every 4 months to repel the black streaks
Old 06-17-2021, 02:38 AM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Gel-gloss rv wash and wax. Works pretty well. I will have to give lysol a go on the black streaks. I assume you spray it on a rag and not directly on the coach.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:00 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Look no further. Used for 4 years amazing low suds big shine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210616-215915_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	31425  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:04 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I use Blue Coral wash/wax concentrate from Wal Mart.
Same
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #8

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I used the Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax for years, and it works pretty well, but I recently got the Griot's Garage foam cannon along with their Foaming Surface Wash and Foaming Poly Gloss. It leaves a better protective coating on the RV, but it does take more steps in the washing process. My previous process was 1) pressure wash 2) wash with the Gel-Gloss (mixed in a bucket of water) using a long-handled brush and wash mitt 3) rinse with the pressure washer. For the Griot's system there are a few more steps: 1) pressure wash 2) apply wash foam with foam cannon 3) use long handled brush and wash mitt to wash 4) pressure rinse 5) apply foaming poly gloss 6) pressure rinse.

You can really see the surface beading the rinse water after applying the poly gloss, and bugs don't stick to the surface as much, and are much easier to remove during subsequent washes.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:10 PM   #9

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
What is the front end hood in front of the engine on an Axis made of. Is it fiberglass or plastic. Feels like a different material than the sides
Old 07-04-2021, 11:18 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I just use whatever car soap that the Missus has me use on her car.
If she's happy with it:
Old 07-05-2021, 01:18 AM   #11

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
OP; you did not clarify if you wash the roof; and if so; how frequently? I would believe that all wash solutions and /or wash / wax combo solutions listed thus far would do the job.

I don't have black streaks ( I have seen them on many coaches including brand new on lots); I can only assume it is how I regularly clean.

As a few I have mentioned, I use the Gel RV Wash & Wax. It works perfectly for me and I have never had any need to change, I have started using the same RV Wash & Wax on my all of my vehicles.

IMO; I would put the focus on keeping the RV clean thus black streaks should not occur. Once your RV is clean a solid coat of wax will not only help protect from UV of sun, but in the event some black gunk does trickle over the sides, it will be easier to remove with whatever type of cleaner you use.

For similar reasons of black streak prevention, I ensure the front and rear of the RV get extra wax as they help me clean the surface from bugs splatter that drives mm nuts after every night trip, and light soot that may cover the rear bumper or back of the RV when I boondock (run my generator when not moving) for extended periods of time.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:42 AM   #12

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I used the Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax for years, and it works pretty well, but I recently got the Griot's Garage foam cannon along with their Foaming Surface Wash and Foaming Poly Gloss. It leaves a better protective coating on the RV, but it does take more steps in the washing process. My previous process was 1) pressure wash 2) wash with the Gel-Gloss (mixed in a bucket of water) using a long-handled brush and wash mitt 3) rinse with the pressure washer. For the Griot's system there are a few more steps: 1) pressure wash 2) apply wash foam with foam cannon 3) use long handled brush and wash mitt to wash 4) pressure rinse 5) apply foaming poly gloss 6) pressure rinse.

You can really see the surface beading the rinse water after applying the poly gloss, and bugs don't stick to the surface as much, and are much easier to remove during subsequent washes.
You got my attention because you have used Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax and then switched so I was reading intently to learn something new, but it seems like you have new foaming cannon with new solution that you did not use before? Why wouldn't you just use the Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax in the new foaming cannon along with the extra steps? I am sure it would give better results than your previous process as well.

Few other notes you may find interested.

I had a pressure washer with foamer before I purchased my RV, so I have always used the Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax in a foamer, but I have never used my pressure washer nozzle sprayers on my RV. My reason is on roof, I worry about the aggression aiding a possible roof leak? and on the sides, I worry about the decals? Note: I see dealers clean RVs all the time with portable mobile wash solutions, so I know it can be done, but just stating what I do. I guess I could use my least aggressive nozzle (green)?

But nonetheless, my steps are follows

1. Rinse the Roof or RV surface I intend to use Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax, using regular water hose and Full Action nozzle settings.
2. Using my Foamer, I spray the foamed solution Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax and allow to sit for a minute or two.
3. Brush with an extendable Adjust a Brush
4. Rinse off the solution

I then wipe down all of the glass. ( drying the sides is optional, but I don't see it as required because it dries spot free on my coach)

I can use the Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax on my entire roof in about 30 minutes, and I can use Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax on the sides in about an hour.

Wheels with Mothers Chrome (30 minutes)
Mequiars #56 Pure RV / Boat Wax using polisher on sides ( 5 hrs)
Mequiars #56 Pure RV / Boat Wax using polisher on FIBERGLASS roof ( 1.5 hrs)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote