Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
What kind of device can I get to check and add water that doesn't require removal of caps? I've never seen anything like that but would be interested.
Flowrite battery system. Youll need to replace the stock battery caps with theirs. Their caps are all connected with tubes. You have to buy their hand pump also that connects to the end tube. Squeeze the hand pump and it fills each battery cell. When the cell is filled to the proper level the water fliws to the next cell until all are full

Google Flow rite. They sell kits for 6vt and 12vt. One battery and two battery kits. Dont forget the needed hand pump. Rv direct was the cgeapest pkace when i got mine

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20170429_111901.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	9067Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1487563039909.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	9068Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1487562823926.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	9069

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #22

Model: ACE - 29
State: Arkansas
THOR #6797
A couple years ago I took my unit to Auto Zone where they replaced for free with their batteries for about $150 each.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #23

Brand: DRV
Model: 41RSSB4
State: South Dakota
THOR #5859
Just because a battery has been run low on water, doesnt mean that it has to be replaced. Fill it with distilled water again and use it till it really does quit.
2011 F350 Dually 6.7 PSD
Fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #24

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Do you have only one house battery? If so that $414.00 replacement cost is at least double what it should be. If there are two batteries, its not that far out of line. You can replace with AGM or other maintenance free batteries, but those of course come at a cost premium.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:03 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Flowrite battery system. Youll need to replace the stock battery caps with theirs. Their caps are all connected with tubes. You have to buy their hand pump also that connects to the end tube. Squeeze the hand pump and it fills each battery cell. When the cell is filled to the proper level the water fliws to the next cell until all are full

Google Flow rite. They sell kits for 6vt and 12vt. One battery and two battery kits. Dont forget the needed hand pump. Rv direct was the cgeapest pkace when i got mine

JerryAttachment 9067Attachment 9068Attachment 9069
Can I ask the Brand of the red battery corrosion spray you're using? Thank you.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
That looks like Thor OEM spray. All electrical connections both in the house battery area as well as under the hood on my MH have that stuff on it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #27
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
That looks like Thor OEM spray. All electrical connections both in the house battery area as well as under the hood on my MH have that stuff on it.
My 2017 Axis purchased New Had None.
I am in process of changing Chassis battery shown & Both Coach batteries.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180201_142226.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	9073Click image for larger version

Name:	20180201_182836.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	9074Click image for larger version

Name:	20180215_103318.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	9075
Old 02-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #7074
Quote:
My 2017 Axis purchased New Had None.
I am in process of changing Chassis battery shown & Both Coach batteries.Attachment 9073Attachment 9074Attachment 9075
I do honestly believe that my coach battery was swapped out before the unit was built with a used battery from a Thor employee or somebody while it was in the yard. I do not believe that's an original battery for my unit.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #29

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Yes stock oem Thor spray.
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:48 AM   #30

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Just one of several solutions:

https://flow-rite.com/battery-watering
Well, if you go to Walmart, get a Turkey baster to hold the water in, then get about maybe two gallons of distilled Water and fill the chambers. You'll probably have to loosen then tighten the battery straps in order to add water to each of the cells. Oh yeah, get some baking soda to add to the leftover water and to wash out the battery compartment. While you are there you might want to make sure the cables are tight to the battery, clean the acid off them and check the hydraulic fluid tank if it's there too, then tighten the battery straps. Messy job.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:49 AM   #31

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50 View Post
Just because a battery has been run low on water, doesnt mean that it has to be replaced. Fill it with distilled water again and use it till it really does quit.
Good idea
Old 04-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #32

State: Tennessee
THOR #10915
Why am I not surprised with Camping world since I bought my new unit from them in Nashville TN they have tried to jack me several times and did jack me a couple times. Most recent was about $300 to install valve stem extenders so I can put air in the dual tires and by the time I got home 20 miles from the shop one of them was wiggling around and just about to fall out on one of the inside tires. Service manager said he was sure it was tight when it left the shop so my problem unless I wanted to drop it off again and leave it and it would be full shop rate of $130.00 per hour to take the wheel off and fix it. I took it to Discount Tire they were able to tighten it without taking off the tire in 10 minutes and said no charge since I bring my regular vehicles there for tires and such. I even copied the CEO of Camping World on an email I sent to the service manager telling him the Discount Tire guys said it was never tight or it would not have been like that in 20 miles or 1000. They are truly the most scamming, lazy, uncaring business I have ever seen, it’s a whole new low from anything I have ever seen. Unless it is a major warranty job I will be taking my rig elsewhere for anything that needs done even if I have to pay for something smaller that may have been under warranty. I don’t want those Bozo’s touching it if I can avoid it. And I will never never ever buy anything from them again!

Andy
Old 04-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #33

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
My 2¢...
If you are talking about the coach batteries..
You can buy an excellent Interstate marine deep cycle battery at Costco for $80 apiece. Easy to install yourself and easy to add the watering device that has been shown.

If you are talking about the chassis battery...
On my Vegas, it is difficult to change. That may be worth the $440. I don't know about yours. For this one buy a starting battery.

However, if you paid Camping World before to do a battery level and capacity check and it was within about 90 days, I would blame them and tell them that it was their responsibility. It's worth it to argue with them.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #34
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amespa View Post
I have a 2017 Thor Hurricane got it almost one year ago this week, but it has been in shop for many weeks since we have had it for all kinds of little things and big. Every time we ask them to check all levels for us and although twice they didn’t fill the propane which we asked them to do, they said they did check everything.

So it is in now for the last 4 weeks replacing the Inverter. They just called and said the battery was OUT OF WATER AND IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED AND IT WILL BE $414 to replace it!!

This is insane to me! Less than one year and they were supposed to check it at least 4 or 5 times over that year?
Sooooo why would they want to charge you to replace a battery that is still under warranty?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #35

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aseymour View Post
Why am I not surprised with Camping world since I bought my new unit from them in Nashville TN they have tried to jack me several times and did jack me a couple times. Most recent was about $300 to install valve stem extenders so I can put air in the dual tires and by the time I got home 20 miles from the shop one of them was wiggling around and just about to fall out on one of the inside tires. Service manager said he was sure it was tight when it left the shop so my problem unless I wanted to drop it off again and leave it and it would be full shop rate of $130.00 per hour to take the wheel off and fix it. I took it to Discount Tire they were able to tighten it without taking off the tire in 10 minutes and said no charge since I bring my regular vehicles there for tires and such. I even copied the CEO of Camping World on an email I sent to the service manager telling him the Discount Tire guys said it was never tight or it would not have been like that in 20 miles or 1000. They are truly the most scamming, lazy, uncaring business I have ever seen, it’s a whole new low from anything I have ever seen. Unless it is a major warranty job I will be taking my rig elsewhere for anything that needs done even if I have to pay for something smaller that may have been under warranty. I don’t want those Bozo’s touching it if I can avoid it. And I will never never ever buy anything from them again!

Andy
Bet if this would get on TV, this place would treat the customers better from then on. Matter of fact: oh for the love of I-phones.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #36

State: Tennessee
THOR #10915
That Flowrite system is good. I had never heard of it but saw it on one of the discussions on this forum. My house batteries are a real pain the way the wiring is when it comes to getting the caps off and I just dreaded the thought of having to fight that task. Installed the Flow Rite system and I love the way it works. It worked just the way it was supposed to. I installed it only 3 weeks after buying my 2018 24HE new and the batteries needed a good amount of water to bring them up where they should be. This was interesting to me because it only came with one house battery so I had them add a second one before we took possession of it…a new battery supposedly but it needed water too. Hmmm good ol Camping World

Andy
Old 04-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #37

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aseymour View Post
That Flowrite system is good. I had never heard of it but saw it on one of the discussions on this forum. My house batteries are a real pain the way the wiring is when it comes to getting the caps off and I just dreaded the thought of having to fight that task. Installed the Flow Rite system and I love the way it works. It worked just the way it was supposed to. I installed it only 3 weeks after buying my 2018 24HE new and the batteries needed a good amount of water to bring them up where they should be. This was interesting to me because it only came with one house battery so I had them add a second one before we took possession of it…a new battery supposedly but it needed water too. Hmmm good ol Camping World

Andy

My batteries seem to need water every few weeks when I’m using the machine. I think they’d fail quickly if I didn’t pay attention. As it is they are going strong. Camping World is what it is. I’m on my second RV (from two different CWs) and I appreciate their huge inventory and selection when I’m buying. And I feel like I was able to press through to a good deal in each case.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #38

Model: Mandalay
THOR #11268
My chassis batteries went bad a few months ago. They are sealed top but can be pried open if necessary I suppose. I battery shopped for replacements and found the best price at Advanced auto. I paid right at 200 a battery and they put them in for free. These are huge batteries about twice the size of a normal battery. So a little over 400 if two batteries are being replaced is probably not terrible. Any time you go to an RV repair you will pay more.
One thing I did find out is these large industrial batteries have an only 1-year warranty. Every place I called 1 year was the answer. I found that to be a crazy answer but that was the facts. I cannot remember the group number of the battery but they are listed as industrial.
Maybe that's the answer and reason for low water is they are maintenance free or so they say.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:18 AM   #39

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
There was a earlier post about a guy whose converter failed and charged his batteries at a high current that boiled them dry. Best check that out or you could loose another battery.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #40

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Wisconsin
THOR #10220
I would like to see a YouTube video of that as well. The chassis battery is near impossible to check let alone change out. It is buried under a myriad of cables and hoses!

Tags
battery water, replacement of battery