Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #13958
ACE battery issues

My RV sat at storage for 3 weeks. I went to pick it up for a quick trip and tried to start it, nothing not even a click. Tried the emergency start, same thing. I had both battery disconnects thrown while in storage.

Ran the generator for a few minutes and then the emergency start worked.

Went to the campground about an hour away and parked it. About 24 hours later started right up and we headed for home. I drove for about 50 minutes and stopped to get gas. Finished pumping gas and the same thing as at the storage place. Nothing trying to start it normal or emergency start. Batteries were new about 3 months ago.

Any ideas?

Old 01-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well I don’t know what Thor uses in new ACE coaches for battery control, but the fact that you could start the generator OK means your coach batteries were good (enough to start the gen at least). The fact you could not start the engine implies the chassis battery was probably discharged at that point (or loose/bad wiring connections etc). Then you tried the emergency start switch at the Driver’s position.......still no engine start.....even though the coach batteries were probably “fairly good” since they did start the generator (although it likely requires much less current to start the generator than a vehicle engine). So possibly there is an intermittant problem with the battery interconnect relay (contacts are failing or loose connections somewhere in that relay’s operating circuit) which you need to investigate, as it will affect the normal charging of both sets of batteries (coach and chassis) under normal charging conditions (converter / alternator). Attaching the “typical” schematic for the Intellitec battery charge system but I don’t know what your newer ACE uses. If nothing else it will give you an idea of how the interconnect relay is controlled in that particular system. Check all battery and interconnect relay cable connections for clean and tight condition. Always listen for the relay click when you operate the emergency start switch......if you hear it and there is no engine crank/start then the relay or connections are bad somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRD Basic Schematic.jpg
Views:	1382
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	15424  
Old 01-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #3

Model: Tuscany 45LT
State: Texas
THOR #10801
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Well I don’t know what Thor uses in new ACE coaches for battery control, but the fact that you could start the generator OK means your coach batteries were good (enough to start the gen at least). The fact you could not start the engine implies the chassis battery was probably discharged at that point (or loose/bad wiring connections etc). Then you tried the emergency start switch at the Driver’s position.......still no engine start.....even though the coach batteries were probably “fairly good” since they did start the generator (although it likely requires much less current to start the generator than a vehicle engine). So possibly there is an intermittant problem with the battery interconnect relay (contacts are failing or loose connections somewhere in that relay’s operating circuit) which you need to investigate, as it will affect the normal charging of both sets of batteries (coach and chassis) under normal charging conditions (converter / alternator). Attaching the “typical” schematic for the Intellitec battery charge system but I don’t know what your newer ACE uses. If nothing else it will give you an idea of how the interconnect relay is controlled in that particular system. Check all battery and interconnect relay cable connections for clean and tight condition. Always listen for the relay click when you operate the emergency start switch......if you hear it and there is no engine crank/start then the relay or connections are bad somewhere.

Went thru the same thing with my Tuscany 45LT had new battery’s less than 4 months, turned out the chassis battery’s both had dead cells , interstate replaced at no cost , now I keep a trickle charger on them all the time
Old 01-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #4

THOR #2631
I assumed you have a newer ACE based on your newer posts (welcome by the way), but I don't see what year your coach actually is. The other issue I did not mention in my previous post is that your chassis battery could just be bad.....new or old coach. It may not be taking a charge properly. A best first step would be to check all your batteries (12.6vDC typically represents a fully charged wet cell battery). Specific Gravity test each battery cell also to make sure water levels are up above the plates and readings are normal.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #5

State: South Carolina
THOR #13958
it is a 2013

Yeah first step was going to be checking batteries.

I don't have the ability to plug it in while in storage. For those in that situation, how often do you go to just start it up?
Old 01-29-2019, 03:32 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
a loose GROUND can create these aggravating symptoms - sometimes it will work, sometimes not.... a simple loose wire is sometimes the culprit, not the batteries.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandserena View Post
it is a 2013

Yeah first step was going to be checking batteries.

I don't have the ability to plug it in while in storage. For those in that situation, how often do you go to just start it up?

If it's truly "dead storage" whereby you don't even need fridge running or anything, the only solution is disconnect the batteries at the posts or install a blade switch close to this point. You will still need to trickle charge them occasionally or get a small solar unit. With them connected, there are too many parasite draws (CO2 monitors, radio memory) on them to stay charged. You can also go start it up every 2 to 3 weeks as well, as long as fridge isn't drawing down the batteries, which will happen in 2 days.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:01 PM   #8

THOR #2631
A 2013 ACE…same as my coach, so you would NOT have the Intellitec battery control system I posted previously…….you probably have the RV Custom Product Battery Control Cabinet which is a black box located in the engine compartment, Driver side. It contains the latching relays for the coach and chassis batteries and also the interconnect relay (for emergency starts); and also has the circuit smarts for controlling the interconnect relay for charging both sets of batteries under certain charging conditions. See attached drawings for reference. There is a very good description of how this BCC operates if you search this forum. Be very careful working inside or around this BCC. Hopefully your problem is only battery replacement.

If your batteries are original there is a good chance they are ready for replacement (2013 coach is built in 2012). I still have my original Harris coach batteries, but will have to consider replacing them and the original Ford chassis battery one of these fine years…….just based on age. They are still working OK so far, but Murphy’s Law will apply soon enough, when I least expect it of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Custom Product BCC Picture.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	15426   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Custom Products Schematic.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	15427  

Old 01-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #9

THOR #2631
In case anyone else on the forum needs a reference or good video on the RV Custom BCC (Battery Control Cabinet), these links might be of interest to you. There may be different versions of this BCC out there, but this info seems to apply to my 2013 ACE 30.1 and many other coaches and years as well. It would be valuable if there was a listing of coach model; build year; and which battery control system was used in that coach. It would help folks troubleshoot DC electrical issues or at the very least help understand how their battery charging system is connected and should work:

You Tube - RV Custom Product BCC Video:

Reference Document for RV Custom Product BCC (link is within a response on the IRV2 forum):
Hurricane Battery Disconnect - iRV2 Forums