Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #13332
Water damage

We did not realize that when we purchased our 2014 Thor Challenger that the wood work was basically paper. We had a water leak which has since been repaired (thank you for helping us do that) but left damage and don't know how to repair it. Has this happened to anyone and what did you do? We were thinking of staining it but doing know if that would work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59286244_388013798593355_3154049645164888064_n.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	16992   Click image for larger version

Name:	58606377_1168869329956951_8386561018586726400_n.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	16993  

Old 04-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well you could try asking Thor where they source the Lauan panels from for your RV (what the color/panel wood grain is called), or try just a lauan panel manufacturer (but likely hard to match color etc). Failing that if the repairs are relatively minor edhes etc perhaps some "closely matched" mactac repair strips cut and fit to align with the existing damaged wall wood grain might cover damage without being too noticable. One lauan manufacturer is attached for reference....but I don't know if they even have anything close to what you need (just an example) Manufacturers may be able to provide repair kits of matching mactac style covering for their specific lauan panels. Thor's source for your coach color/details would be the best to try first though....if they will tell you.

Lauan Panels
Old 04-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you have a local cabinetry shop take a piece and have them match the stain. It may not cost as much as you think (I had one do a cabinet panel side; came out perfectly).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
our bathroom has two places just like this, separation from water - not a leak, but more of a spill. Since the bottom of these panels and pieces are sometimes the 'cut' portion, it's obvious that they are susceptible to this type of unfortunate condition as the 'saw dust' these wood-like pieces are made of soak in the moisture, and therefore expand.

other than totally replacing the piece, or finding an exact match of the 'iron-on' type of outer finishing, there's nothing you can really do.

I understand that the nature of the price-point of these coaches direct the factory toward more economical cabinet products and finishes, such as this 'laminated' wood cabinetry, it would seem that they wood provide real wood for the bottom, or any edge, where moisture/water is more likely to collect.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

THOR #13332
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I do have a piece I can take in for color. I have seen where people paint there cabinets wonder how they do that when its paper or whatever you call this... I guess had we of known we wouldn't have purchased this RV. Just disappointed. Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:18 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
In my RV, even without any problems with water leaks, I still noticed a few panels with a slight bulge or starting to peel the "finish" where the walls meet the floor. I disguised the problem by installing standard base quarter-round trim pieces from the Home Depot. I didn't have to worry about matching the color of the fake wood - just went with plain black color trim. Looks pretty nice and hides the problem.

Of course this won't help for any problem areas higher up off the floor line.

Just one of many things that are removed, replaced, repaired, refinished...
Old 04-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #7

THOR #13332
Pretty sure that is what we will be doing.... Thank you.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #8

THOR #2154
Oh yea, one other thing I found is that "Old English" dark furniture polish will do wonders to hide scuff or worn-off wood grain areas. Just wipe it on and it will soak into the worn areas to help the light areas blend in. HD also carries that, I noticed.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #9

THOR #13332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
In my RV, even without any problems with water leaks, I still noticed a few panels with a slight bulge or starting to peel the "finish" where the walls meet the floor. I disguised the problem by installing standard base quarter-round trim pieces from the Home Depot. I didn't have to worry about matching the color of the fake wood - just went with plain black color trim. Looks pretty nice and hides the problem.

Of course this won't help for any problem areas higher up off the floor line.

Just one of many things that are removed, replaced, repaired, refinished...
Could you please share a picture. Would like to see it. Thanks
Old 05-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #10

THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driley43 View Post
Could you please share a picture. Would like to see it. Thanks
Here is a picture that shows the quarter round trim I am using in my RV. I'm in the process of replacing the L-shaped dinette and table with a double loveseat recliner, along with both new captain seats. So this picture is of the end table after rearranging the electrical components inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	17018  
Old 05-02-2019, 12:29 AM   #11

THOR #13332
looks good where did you get your captain chairs? Ours need replacing.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #12

THOR #2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driley43 View Post
looks good where did you get your captain chairs? Ours need replacing.
The furniture is on order from Shop4Seats.com and the freight company called to say delivery here is scheduled for Monday. Once I get the captain seats and loveseat installed I will upload photos showing the project.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #13

THOR #13332
Looking forward to seeing your progress. Did pick up some old English today so will give that a try.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #14

State: Ohio
THOR #7927
My water pump leaked in my E22 Chateau and left the “wood” in the dinette bubbled. I got brown vinyl base molding and glued it on the panels. It looks just like it belongs and actually looks more finished off than it did before.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #15

State: Ohio
THOR #989
Quote:
Here is a picture that shows the quarter round trim I am using in my RV. I'm in the process of replacing the L-shaped dinette and table with a double loveseat recliner, along with both new captain seats. So this picture is of the end table after rearranging the electrical components inside.
Tom, I did the same thing in our 27K. I think you'll love the change. I also ran an additional electric line down along the wall with flexible conduit and put an outlet next to the driver's seat on the outside wall. Be sure to make sure it doesn't interfere with the bunk coming down. I'm too old to bend down and use the original outlet especially since the loveseat covered that outlet.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #16

Model: windsport 36R
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11273
We had a water leak that damaged a 8 foot trim piece. I took a good piece of trim and had Lowe's color match it and bought a quart of paint. I made a replacement trim from wood and painted it. You can't tell the new from the old and there mounted side by side. You might want to try this. Your pictures don't show a lot of damage so you might be able to just touch up the damaged spots without having to replace any panels. Good luck on what ever you do.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #17

THOR #13332
Brown bass molding Sounds good. Do you have picture you could share?
Old 05-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #18

THOR #2154
Quote:
The furniture is on order from Shop4Seats.com and the freight company called to say delivery here is scheduled for Monday. Once I get the captain seats and loveseat installed I will upload photos showing the project.
I just finished the remodeling project today and posted my pictures in another thread.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...tml#post183819