Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #19191
Slide motor access/location? 2006 Four Winds 31p

I have a 2006 Four Winds Chateau 31p class C. It has a large slide on the driver side (slides out the couch and dinette).

Recently, the slide stopped extending and retracting. It seems like there are two motors (let's call them left and right side of the slide, looking from inside the coach) and one of them is no longer working.

Note: Coach batteries are good and fully charged, and the RV engine is running so the alternator is even providing additional charge to the batteries, so this has nothing to do with batteries.

Here are the symptoms... When I push the Extend button, the left side of the slide starts to extend but the right side does not move. The left side can extend about 3-4 inches before it can no longer make progress (...because the right side isn't moving). It does not appear that the right side is getting stuck as I can physically push it the 3-4 inches each time the left side moves out 3-4 inches. I'm GUESSING that there are two slide motors, one on the left of the slide and one on the right. Can anyone confirm that it is typical for this type/length of slide to have two motors?

It seems like the motor on the right simply is no longer working. I checked the fuses and the breakers in the converter box and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

It seems like in this model RV the motors are underneath the slide.

Here is my problem....I cannot seem to even locate or see the motors themselves. The undercarriage on this rig looks like a solid sheet. I don't see any motors or any access panels either. Inside the RV, the part that slides out is the couch and the dinette but if I look at those there is practically zero clearance for where the motors would be. It seems like the motors must be under the floor and above the solid undercarriage sheet.

Any idea how to access the slide motors in this 2006 Four Winds 31p Class C??

I tried extending the slide (...with some manual force help on the right side). I stopped with about 4-5 inches to go and I got out to look at the slide and try to look under the slide to see if I could see anything. I could see the track on the left and right side (the gear track??) but I could not see any motor and the clearance underneath the slide seems like less than half an inch (meaning no access to the motors from there).

Any thoughts how to get at the slide motors in this??

Thanks all!
Chris

Old 06-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with your coach at all, but if you have no access to the slide drive mechanism from below then check inside the coach under the couch or other furniture in the slide (for access panels). You may have hydraulic or electric slides so I am attaching a 2007 Four Winds owners manual (close years sometimes yield similar build info).....refer to section 6 for basic descriptions of both slide systems......you might be able to figure out what you have and where the drive systems are located. Sometimes the control panel for the slide is marked with the "manufacturer name" like HWH; and then go to their web site to see if you can still get info....or call their tech support for assistance. Of course there may be folks on this forum that have your exact coach that can jump in and help as well.

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/Cruise...ers_Manual.pdf

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #3

THOR #19191
31p slide motor location...

Thanks for the reply and the manual. I see a photo on page 72 of a slide motor. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be what I have. It would be SO NICE if it was that visible and accessible! I see nothing that looks like a motor as I crawl under the RV.

On the carpet floor underneath the couch I see 2 or 3 black round items measuring about an inch and a half in diameter. They don't have any sort of head that can be screwed open. Are these caps of some sort??? They seem very firmly connected to the flooring. Anyone have any thoughts about these? They are two or three (I'll have to go and look again). They are in a straight line. If it was 4 of them and they formed a box or rectangle I might think that they are some kind of access panel, but that is not the case. I do not see ANY breaks in the carpeting under the couch or dinette.

Thoughts??

Thanks!
Chris
Old 06-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
To help determine what kind of slide you have when the slide is extended where are the rails? Are the rails on the side of the slide or are they on the bottom? If the rails are on the bottom note the location and then start looking in storage compartments or drawers etc... in the general location of the slide rail.

Locating the rail(s) should also verify whether you have one motor or two. My current rig has a pretty decent sized slide (dinette and recliners) with only one slide motor which is located on a storage compartment ceiling. My bedroom slide is a Schwintek which has the 2 motors at the top of the slide. And to be honest, I'm not sure what my kitchen slide is although I know it is not a Schwintek or the same as the dinette slide.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #5

THOR #2631
Hi, well I would expect a larger access panel than what you are describing from inside the coach.....if that was how the slide drive system is actually accessed and if the access is under the couch (may be hidden some other place under the slide like basement compartments). If you can identify the manufacturer somehow you could check their systems from 2006 and perhaps even get a maintenance manual from them.

The 2007 general Manual I attached previously talks about the hydraulic pump being in the front driver side compartment bay (if its the same as your 2006 it might be there). Does your hydraulic pump valve body look the same as the one shown in the 2007 manual? When you operate your slide does the hydraulic pump motor start running? I think this style valve body controls jacks and slide(s) as required (8 valves per side). If it looks like what you have in your coach, see if a manufacturer name is tagged on it and do some research on line. HWH was a making slide hydraulics in 2006 I think. There are some videos on You Tube to help identify the slide types as well. Any name on the slide control panel? Lippert may have had electric slide systems and controls in 2006. Being an RV owner involves being a detective in many cases......looking for clues until the big break tip comes in.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #6

THOR #19191
slide

I don't think it is hydrolic.

On the underside of the slide, when extended, I can see two tracks. The overall slide might be about 14' long. The tracks might be about 2' in from the right and left side.

There doesn't appear to be anywhere inside the RV that gives access. I don't see any motors in any compartments or when I crawl underneath the RV.

-Chris
Old 06-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #7

THOR #2631
Chris, if its electric you might have to look on the opposite side of the coach enclosed under belly to see if there is an access panel to the motor. Attaching a You Tube video that talks a bit about hydraulic and electric systems........the electric portion talks about having to open up the under panel if no access hatch can be located. Sounds like a PIA if this applies to you. Hope it helps a bit.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:11 PM   #8

THOR #2631
I know this video is not even your coach, but sometimes RV manufacturers use similar techniques for hiding/accessing things......be a detective to gather info until someone who knows your coach tells all.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:16 PM   #9

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
yes it sounds like you have the famous Lippert Schwintech system very prone to motor failure (as well as track failures.) I'm surprised you made it from 2006 without failures. I just replaced my motors and tracks ($1000.) First time took 3 years and a 2nd time two more. Read up on the lippert system and find the emergency procedure to get them to move Then order a couple of $200 motors and install them. They are on the upper side of each wall but you will need to get the slide out a bit to get to them. Nice youtube video will help. Of course you may not have these slides but my $ is on Schwintech. Sorry for my outburst but i've been a little PO'd with them!f
Old 06-16-2020, 02:00 AM   #10

THOR #2631
Well Camperguy99 I was actually thinking of a different Lippert slide system before the Schwintec slides came out. I think Schwintec was around "2010 ish", but I am guessing and they have the gear tracks on the sides of the slide walls as opposed to underneath. The Lippert electric slide I was thinking about is per link attached......but again not sure if the OP's 2006 coach uses this older system. A cruise of the You Tube videos on identifying slide manufacturer might be worth a try for him though.

https://www.forestriverinc.com/broch...tricManual.pdf