Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2017, 11:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6431
water heater bypass

Hi all, on a 2016 challenger 37kt is there a water heater bypass valve? If so where is it located? I looked under bed behind inspection plate but nothing.
Thanks

Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Many times the bypass will be right at the water heater. If the water pipes are red and blue, trace the blue where it goes to the heater and you should see the bypass.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On my Challenger 37ND I have 2. There is the one on the control panel in the wet bay and then there is the one on the back of the hot water tank. To get to the one for the hot water tank I have to remove a drawer under the bedroom closet and extend my arm as far as possible to turn the valves.

My suggestion is to locate the water heater on the outside of the coach and then in that general location inside find a drawer or panel that allows access to the back of the water heater. Based on pictures I've seen of the 37KT I would start looking under the bathroom sink.

Maybe someone with your specific model will answer with the exact location.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:12 AM   #4

THOR #6431
Thanks, when I lift the bed inside the storage there is a removable panel, behind that I can see the water heater and the red and blue lines but no bypass. I will do what you said and follow the lines further. Didn't know if there was only the one at the water control panel. There has to be another one, hot water is only warm.
Thanks for input
Old 02-10-2017, 12:30 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
As suggested, look around the back of the water heater. In my Hurricane 35M, I have to remove one of the bedroom dresser drawers in order to get to the the bypass valves.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:18 AM   #6
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarol View Post
Thanks, when I lift the bed inside the storage there is a removable panel, behind that I can see the water heater and the red and blue lines but no bypass. I will do what you said and follow the lines further. Didn't know if there was only the one at the water control panel. There has to be another one, hot water is only warm.
Thanks for input
Noticed your comment on water only being warm. Often the cause of this condition is the outside shower head being turned off at the water saver button on the shower head with the faucets left open. This creates an open loop between the hot and cold, essentially a bypass.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:22 AM   #7

THOR #6431
Thanks for the input but that is not the problem. I saw that on the forum too. lol
Old 02-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #1183
Our 15 KT has two bypass valves. One at water heater and the other in wet bay. I would guess Thor got rid of the one behind tank by 16. You probably have two black valves in wet bay. Right one should be by-pass. Fully closed - hot water at all faucets. Open cold to all. From fully closed - open a little and can adjust hot water temp.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

THOR #6431
Thanks for the tip