Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2019, 09:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #17682
water heater bypass location 2020 Thor 29M

Hello All,

First time post here. My mother in law bought a new 29M motorcoach and has asked me to winterize it for her, since I've had travel trailers and such. I've looked all over this thing and cannot find the bypass the water heater. I found the pump under the rear couch cushion and have checked under the sink in the bathroom, the cabinet in the bedroom and around the general vicinity of the hot water heater. No bypasses. Any suggestions?

Old 12-29-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
It's on the backside of the water heater - probably have to remove a panel to get to it. Lotsa 29M owners here that can chime in. I seem to remember a panel in the bedroom closet?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:51 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It's on the backside of the water heater - probably have to remove a panel to get to it. Lotsa 29M owners here that can chime in. I seem to remember a panel in the bedroom closet?

My 2018 29M water heater bypass valves are under the kitchen sink.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:56 AM   #4

THOR #17682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Ernie View Post
My 2018 29M water heater bypass valves are under the kitchen sink.
Do you have to remove a panel to access them? I've checked there and dont see anything.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:39 AM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntcooper1 View Post
Do you have to remove a panel to access them? I've checked there and dont see anything.

I have a 2018.

I don’t have to remove the panel but the three valves are way up and under the sink. At least one is covered by the panel but I can reach them all.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:22 AM   #6

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
If you see a panel with #2 square drive heads remove it!
Old 12-30-2019, 03:17 AM   #7

THOR #9747
Quote:

You can see the valves without removing a panel. Just hard to reach.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #8

THOR #17682
Found it!! After looking behind every panel and cabinet, access to the hot water heater was underneath the master bed. The valves were right there with the tank. Thank everyone! Maybe this will help someone else.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #9

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Quote:
Found it!! After looking behind every panel and cabinet, access to the hot water heater was underneath the master bed. The valves were right there with the tank. Thank everyone! Maybe this will help someone else.

Wow. That’s a major location change from th 2018’s.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I just saw your post, glad you were able to locate the bypass valves. We have a 2020 29M also. We bought it in November so the dealer winterized ours for us before we took it. I watched the tech go through the process so I am familiar with it. For your information, as I was going over the coach after we got it home I discovered there was a macerator pump under the sink in the outside kitchen. This pumps the drain water UP into the gray tank. The tech apparently did not know this because all he did was pour some anti-freeze into the sink but did not pump it through the system. After looking over the plumbing under the sink I saw that you need to run that pump long enough to fill the 1-1/2" PVC drain line with antifreeze to protect it. It looks like it could hold a couple of quarts of water/antifreeze.
BTW, the pump switch is located under the cabinet.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:23 PM   #11

State: Oklahoma
THOR #13925
yes it under the sink behind the hot water tank and you might have to remove a panel to get to the turn off
Old 06-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: South America
THOR #19174
Where is this located on a 2020 Windsport. Factory does not know and the dealer does not know. But they did winterize it. I looked under the Kitchen sink, looked under the master bed only breakers & fuses. Do I have to Put the tip outs out to check this?
Old 06-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #13

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBarba View Post
Where is this located on a 2020 Windsport. Factory does not know and the dealer does not know. But they did winterize it. I looked under the Kitchen sink, looked under the master bed only breakers & fuses. Do I have to Put the tip outs out to check this?
Behind the WH. you may need to remove a panel. Look outside for the WH. take note of where it is and go inside and find it.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #14

THOR #9747
On my 2018 Windsport 29M it is under the kitchen sink behind a wood panel that only goes 3/4 of the way up. I can reach it without taking off the panel.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #15

THOR #19174
After pulling all the panels in the MH. I finally found it. The water tank and heater switch is my bedroom, driver's side, under my desk....Filled the Hot Water Tank. Now I can not fill with water. I have a gravity fill, when i start to fill water pours out of a spout under the coach. now i have to find a shut off valve...
Old 06-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #16

THOR #9747
All my drain valves are inside the lower compartments. Blue is cold water and red is hot.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:00 PM   #17

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBarba View Post
After pulling all the panels in the MH. I finally found it. The water tank and heater switch is my bedroom, driver's side, under my desk....Filled the Hot Water Tank. Now I can not fill with water. I have a gravity fill, when i start to fill water pours out of a spout under the coach. now i have to find a shut off valve...
There is a drain pipe and valve directly under where you fill valve at the bottom of your tank. If the water is coming back at you the FW tank may be full. Look for a small screened 3/8 size hole next to the fill port. That may be you vent. Some have it there some don't. Other wise it will be next to the drain valve under the RV. It should not have a valve on it. Just the drain does. You may also find 2 Low point drains under there.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:02 PM   #18

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Ernie View Post
All my drain valves are inside the lower compartments. Blue is cold water and red is hot.
Those are low point drains. OP is looking for FW tank drain. Not all valves are inside a storage compartment.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:16 PM   #19

THOR #9747
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Those are low point drains. OP is looking for FW tank drain. Not all valves are inside a storage compartment.

My fresh water tank drain is in a lower compartment directly under the water tank. Which is right below my gravity fill spout. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:34 AM   #20

THOR #19174
I'm done. working on this since March. I appreciate you all helping. I will have to take into a service center to repair. Boating was much easier....