Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2020, 11:40 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #14189
Water Heater Fuse

I have a 2010 Damon Tuscany. Water heater works on propane but not on electric. Can anyone tell me where the fuse for the water heater is?

Old 02-07-2020, 11:48 PM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Water heater is 120V AC so the breaker (not a fuse) for it should be in the breaker panel.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:23 AM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
It WILL be in the breaker panel. Labeled WH.

If it's a Suburban there is a switch outside bottom left corner behind the cover.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #4

THOR #14189
None of the breakers are marked WH or water heater.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #5

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdogg4 View Post
None of the breakers are marked WH or water heater.
specs say you have a 10 gal Gas/Electric water heater. Look again. Open the outside panel and tell us the Brand and Model #.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #6

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
send a pic of your breaker panel...

I see that 'normally' these breakers are labeled correctly, even though sometimes they are hand 'scribbled' and hard to make out, or someone uses a 'code' rather than what you might expect - as 'WH' might mean Water Heater to some, and White House to others. Maybe they used 'EW' for electric water heater element, or 'EH' for electric water heater, etc.... but who knows. It WILL be on a circuit breaker if you have electric water heating.

yes, some models of water heaters have a separate switch actually ON the water heater itself. Sometimes hidden, down near the bottom left, which must be ON, along with the switch on the interior, to start making heated water from 120v power, and ONLY when you are PLUGGED INTO Shore Power, or have the GENERATOR running.

It's always good to have both power options, as we've used both separately, and sometimes even used both TOGETHER, when several back-to-back showers are needed - as the propane heats the water more quickly, and the electric element keeps the water heated without using so much propane, or needing the propane as often. Nice.

Since the Electric Water Heater element requires 120v power, I even leave it's switch on all the time, since it won't be active when traveling, or off-grid overnights anyway - but will automatically be available when I plug in or run the generator. : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #7

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
If your tank has been empty and the 110 turned on the heating element is blown.

Any hardware store will have a 110v heating element.

Easy DIY:
Turn the power off (switch is in bottom left corner)
Remove the 2 wires located under small rubber cover, Phillip's screwdriver.
Use the tool you get at the hardware store to remove the heating element.

Don't forget to turn the switch back on when finished .
Old 02-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #8

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
If your tank has been empty and the 110 turned on the heating element is blown.

Any hardware store will have a 110v heating element.

Easy DIY:
Turn the power off (switch is in bottom left corner)
Remove the 2 wires located under small rubber cover, Phillip's screwdriver.
Use the tool you get at the hardware store to remove the heating element.

Don't forget to turn the switch back on when finished .
Don't you think he needs to find the power source and switch/breaker before he goes thru all that?? He may have an Atwater heater that does not have the switch at the lower left corner.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #9

THOR #14189
Yes Atwater water heater. I even tried turning interior switch on then off. Left off for 5 minutes then turned back on. No luck.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #10

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdogg4 View Post
Yes Atwater water heater. I even tried turning interior switch on then off. Left off for 5 minutes then turned back on. No luck.
If your gonna own an RV then you need to own a volt meter. See if you have power at the switch. If not then go fine the circuit breaker.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #11

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Don't you think he needs to find the power source and switch/breaker before he goes thru all that?? He may have an Atwater heater that does not have the switch at the lower left corner.
It's inside the rv on the side of the heater.

Edited for 10 gallon Atwood water heater.

Here's a Atwood water heater troubleshooting manual.
Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting

YouTube is your friend.
Search for "Atwood 10 gallon water heater troubleshooting"

I was lucky when we had our sob class a x2, first trouble was the thermostat one was visibly broken, second time defective circuit board, both easy to change.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:11 PM   #12

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
2011 Tuscany

In my 2011 there was circuit breaker panel under the sliding closet in bedroom. If the circuit breaker isn’t popped it could also one of two other issues. As previous post if electric switch for water heater was turned on without water in tank almost a guaranteed blown element, the other possibility is the electric relay on the tank. A nightmare to get to especially if you have the washer/dryer combo. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Virginia
THOR #15498
Electric water heater

We bought our rig used, and didn't realized the electric element wasn't working,dealer heated water with propane, and then hat electric turned on, Light at switch, thought all was good. So when we went to use the electric, nothing tested the element and it was blown. So purchased an element to replace the bad one. Couldn't get the old one out, so took it to a repair shop to have them to install. They were able to get it out, however the wiring was melted and shorting out. They were telling me that they do see this from duel run water heaters. drain tank and forget the switch is on or someone hits it or not knowing better turn it on white tank is dry. Expensive repair. Traced and replaced over 3 feet of wiring, thermostat, and my element labor. I am happy I couldn't do it, what a possible fire hazard.