Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #5529
need help with charging problem

I'm having electrical problems with my 2015 Thor Four Winds 33SW Super C. While I was away the house batteries ran down and I had to replace one. Now I can't get charge voltage to them on shore power or generator. I think there's more going on but it seems that the converter (which is working) output is not getting to the batteries. Here are the symptoms:
1. Shore power (120v). Batteries not seeing charge voltage (batteries at 12.4v). 12v house systems all working. Inverter works. Converter output 13.8v.
2. Shore power off. Batteries at 12.4v. 12v systems not working. Inverter works. Generator starts.
3. Shore pwr off; generator running. 12v systems working. Batteries at 12.4v; not charging. Converter output 13.8v
4. Shore pwr off; chassis engine running. Chassis batteries charging at 14.4v. House batteries charging at 14.0v. 12v house systems not working. Converter output 0v.
I've gone as far as I can go with the pathetic Thor wiring diagrams that I have. I did find a bad inline 50a circuit breaker in the converter output wiring but replacing it didn't help. There is a small black box near the converter that I can't figure out. It has two 6 awg connections and two small wires. It looks like converter voltage appears on one 6 awg side and battery voltage on the other. Nothing ever appears on the two small terminals. I'm thinking this box might be the problem? The fuses all look good.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Gary

Old 06-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
That small black box is your latching relay for your USE/STORE (Battery Disconnect) switch. The small wires just have power applied from the battery when you press the USE/STORE switch - +12 VDC in one direction closes the latching relay and connects the house batteries to the DC buss/converter; + 12 VDC in the other direction disconnects the house batteries. There is usually a small (5 amp) inline fuse on one of the smaller wires that may be blown if the latching relay is not operating.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Well, from the symptoms you describe the problem is somewhere between the batteries and the converter. I could speculate a bit but maybe it is better to download Thor's General Schematics file for your coach. It gives electrical, plumbing and other isometric schematics of your specific coach.

You can find it by registering at https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/ with your VIN. Then look at the documents available and find the schematics file and then look for the DC schematic.

Mine shows a 50A breaker to the battery then to a heavy switch and then the wire goes to the converter DC in terminal. Instead of a simple on/off switch like mine, yours may have a relay that is actuated by the use/store switch that may be bad. My suspicion is that this relay is in the box you found. There should be heavy DC in and out wires to/from the relay and two light gauge wires from the use/store switch exactly like you describe.

David

David
Old 06-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #4

THOR #5529
Thanks to both of you. Now I'm pretty sure the problem is that Battery Disconnect box. It doesn't seem to be responding at all to the remote switch. I'll pursue that next.
Gary
Old 06-23-2021, 11:21 PM   #5

THOR #5529
The remote switch for the battery disconnect was the problem. As soon as I popped the cover off it started to work. Something was binding in the switch!
Old 06-23-2021, 11:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyj View Post
The remote switch for the battery disconnect was the problem. As soon as I popped the cover off it started to work. Something was binding in the switch!
Great! Glad you found the issue and it is now resolved. You should definitely hear the "black box" latching relay move (clunk) when you operate it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:35 PM   #7

THOR #5529
Right. It always bothered me that I didn't hear the relay. Now I'm not sure that switch ever worked! Thanks again for the help.