Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #6625
High pitch whistle

First of all I do like the ACE 30.4 I bought this month but it did come with some issues that should be taken care of after today. The windshield leaked and there is a high pitch whistle that increases with speed. The Axterra cameras are great but the sound for the radio only comes through for a second after I use the turn signals. The shower leaked at the bottom where the walls meet the tub. The screen and door isn't snug and you see daylight at the bottom. I'm at the shop in Wakarusa and the technician said they are going to fix everything and do a complete check on all the other equipment so after today it should be smooth sailing from here on out. Is there anyone else who had these problems and we're you satisfied with the repair work?

Old 02-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #2

Model: ACE
State: California
THOR #4322
I got my 29.2 ACE May 2016. It is great but yes some issues. My high pitch whistle seemed to come from drivers side window. The outside frame was loose. They fixed it. My shower leaked as well. They fixed it. My screen door is good. We had others issues but they fixed. However now I have experienced that my house heater does not work when it rains. I need to take it in before my year warranty. I live in Southern California
Old 02-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Your heater not working in the rain is most likely this: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...egas-4200.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #4

Model: ACE
THOR #4322
Heater. Thanks. I don't have louvers but I will take in and ask them to be sure gasket seal around door is good.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:06 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #3681
Had same issue with 2016 Hurricane 35C, turned out the front grill was the problem. Thor started using a Hex pattern on the grill which causes air to pass in a circular motion and cause a high wind noises. They switched mine to the 2017 style grill which was rectangles.
2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
No Pride of Workmanship or QA at Thor

The whistle may well be just that you don't have the front windows snugged down - that's what mine was.
It's all that other stuff that gets me. It's stupid stuff and I can't imagine how anyone could turn out work like that and be proud of it. I guess all that matters in Elkhart Indiana is a paycheck. Couple slob workmanship with the very obvious total lack of any real QA program at THOR and you have the frustration that's so very obvious in these forums.
Thanx.
Dan
Old 06-01-2017, 04:06 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
The whistle may well be just that you don't have the front windows snugged down - that's what mine was.

Dan
The whistle could be from the front grill. There have been a few things written on this. I just had mine changed at the Thor Wakarusa site. So far no whistle, but ours seemed to do it in the rain and I have not driven in much rain since that was done.

We did have a defective passenger window that our dealer replaced. No matter what we did we could not get that to close properly and it was noisy when latched. We just left it unlatched until it was replaced.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Tennessee
THOR #5918
High pitch whistle

Amanda, I had a very similar experience with the new '16 Windsport 31S. It had the high pitch whistle from the very beginning. I shouldn't have accepted it from the dealer in FL, but was in a hurry to get to the FMCA event in Perry, GA, the next day. I finally got it to Wakarusa and the tech filled every opening behind the hood that might have gone into the cockpit, in addition to resealing the front side windows and windshield. He also fixed several minor items and others he found that probably should have been found before it came off the line.
In any case, the whistle continues, but less distracting. (We could hardly hear the radio without turning the volume to HIGH,) We've found a solution that is simple enough, and it stops the whistle. Just release the drivers' or passenger's window locks and the whistle goes away. It's MAGIC.
Bruce W.
USAF 9(Ret.)
Old 06-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthig View Post
Had same issue with 2016 Hurricane 35C, turned out the front grill was the problem. Thor started using a Hex pattern on the grill which causes air to pass in a circular motion and cause a high wind noises. They switched mine to the 2017 style grill which was rectangles.

Mine whistlles also, 2017 34F. The grill has squares, kind of a honey comb pattern. Is this the grill design that causes whistling? I can upload a pic