Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2021, 10:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Water hose, filter, etc, stored, now corroded

Hello, all. Here's a weird one. We haven't used the RV (Thor Siesta 24ft class C) in a while. I have a bucket with all my drinking water tools: camco water filter, zero-g hose, short camco strain relief hoses, shutoff valve, pressure control valve... I think that's it.

Getting ready for a 3-4 day trip, I drained the RV water, and got out my water bucket. When I opened it, I found an inch or two of water, some white crud (a technical term) on various parts, some corrosion on various metal parts - I think that's about it. I destroyed the evidence - I mean, I cleaned everything - but I am hesitant to ignore this. I will attempt to add some photos.

I will probably trash all this stuff - but the question is: what is the white stuff, what caused the corrosion, and how do I avoid this going forward - besides doing a better job of putting it all away?

Thanks
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16301900462694403874114038029228.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	33155   Click image for larger version

Name:	16301901072415354588521606556250.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	33156  

Old 08-29-2021, 02:34 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Just guessing, but the deposits look like hard water calcium deposits, but the dark spots look like mold growth started in a few places as well. Perhaps your water hose still contained enough water to drain into the storage bucket (if hose was open ended) and with time, warmth and moisture, you have the resulting various deposits forming. I assume the bucket had a lid from your description, which does not allow any moisture inside to evaporate quickly. Also if you have not used the coach for a while it would be wise to treat your fresh water system and water hose to a complete sanitization fill and flush to make sure all lines and tank are cleaned of any bacteria that may have started growing.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
A helpful hint…
- when hose is being stored, blow out all water and then fasten the two ends together so that no air can get in

A little water dampness will probably remain, but as long as you eliminate air penetrating inside the hose you should be ok
Old 08-30-2021, 07:54 PM   #4

THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Just guessing, but the deposits look like hard water calcium deposits, but the dark spots look like mold growth started in a few places as well. Perhaps your water hose still contained enough water to drain into the storage bucket (if hose was open ended) and with time, warmth and moisture, you have the resulting various deposits forming...
Makes sense. Never worried about this before - now I will!

Dan
Old 08-30-2021, 07:55 PM   #5

THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
A helpful hint…
- when hose is being stored, blow out all water and then fasten the two ends together so that no air can get in

A little water dampness will probably remain, but as long as you eliminate air penetrating inside the hose you should be ok
Learned my lesson - thanks.

Dan
Old 08-30-2021, 08:09 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post
{snip}

I will probably trash all this stuff - but the question is: what is the white stuff, what caused the corrosion, and how do I avoid this going forward - besides doing a better job of putting it all away?
Thanks
Dan
90% of the water west of the Mississippi contains calcium and magnesium salts, unless it goes through a water softener. If you have a tank type water heater, the salts will form hard rocks (limestone) in the bottom of the tank. Portable RV water softeners are the answer. for smaller RVs.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #7

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
You most likely were performing a science experiment... galvanic corrosion.
If all the parts were in a bucket and one metal touching another dissimilar metal while both are in contact with a conductive liquid like water, the 'less noble' one bows out and starts to disintegrate...

Same idea as the sacrificial rod in some water heaters, so the stuff will not kill you... even with California rules.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:30 AM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
You most likely were performing a science experiment... galvanic corrosion.
If all the parts were in a bucket and one metal touching another dissimilar metal while both are in contact with a conductive liquid like water, the 'less noble' one bows out and starts to disintegrate...

Same idea as the sacrificial rod in some water heaters, so the stuff will not kill you... even with California rules.
He definitely had a lot of electrons flowing