Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #19132
Water Issue

I have had my RV for about 8 months. Just filled up my tank for the start of the season and tried to fill my water lines from the city water location. I was getting a steady stream both hot and cold out of my bathroom sink but hardly any stream (hot or cold) from my kitchen faucet. I unhooked my city water and turned on my water pump and no streams of water in either bathroom or kitchen. The water pump was making a noise but not what I remember from last season. 1) the question is, is my water pump working correctly and 2) regardless of my water pump should I not be getting water running by way of the city water connection? Any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-23-2021, 05:45 PM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Check your filter near the pump. When I first got mine, it had plastic shavings blocking the filter.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Another vote for a clogged strainer. It should be right near the water pump. It has a clear bowl that you twist to remove and there is a piece of screen inside.
Check to see if it has any debris blocking flow.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #4

THOR #19132
Tried the filter and there was no filter inside the clear bowl. Which means if there is debris it moved towards/into the pump!
Old 05-23-2021, 06:46 PM   #5

THOR #19132
I am correct to assume the city water goes through the water pump first before reaching the sinks, aren't I???

Although I had water running to the bathroom sink through the city water connection! Confusing!
Old 05-23-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaksterwalk@yahoo.com View Post
I am correct to assume the city water goes through the water pump first before reaching the sinks, aren't I???

Although I had water running to the bathroom sink through the city water connection! Confusing!
No, incorrect.

Think of it as a TEE (T). The water pump sucks directly from the water tank and pushes water into the left side of the TEE. City water comes in the right side of the TEE. The bottom of the TEE is your cold water header and splits to all your cold water faucets and the input to the water heater.

There is no filter in the suction strainer for the water pump, it is simply a screen strainer).

You did dewinterize your system didn't you? If not the water pump could be sucking air, drains could be open, isolations shut and bypasses open. Makes for all kinds of water problems.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:58 PM   #7

THOR #19132
Yes, I did winterize. Blew out all the lines.

So I'm not getting city water to my kitchen sink but I am to my bathroom sink. And I'm not getting water to any sink from my water pump. So it looks like I have two issues.

I will check all my valves again. I did not use the hot water tank bypass because I don't use antifreeze.

Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions? I'm open to them!
Old 05-23-2021, 09:17 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
You said you blew out the lines. By any chance did you change the valve postion at the winterization port? If the valve is closed, them pump will not be able to pull water from the fresh water tank.

However, that does not explain your issues when you are connected to city water.

You said you blew out the lines. Did you remove the fresh water filter before or after doing so?

If not, the filter will still hold some water. It is possible the filter and any water in the housing could have froze and did damage.

As 16ACE27 said.... the city water line comes in and goes to a T. One sode of the T goes towards the pump abd yhe other towards the freah water filter.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #9

THOR #19132
If you mean the valve from the water tank that supplies water to the pump (winterization port?).....it is open and water comes out the filter when I open up the filter.

I did not remove the fresh water filter. I will have to locate it? I will look near the hot water heater first. Any suggestions where it the filter might be?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Yes, I did winterize.
That wasn't the question. Winterizing requires drain valves to be opened, bypass valves to be opened, isolation valves to be shut, suction valves to be opened. In other words; lotsa valves are turned out of their normal operating position/ Dewinterizing insures every valve is put back to its normal position to operate the rig.

So have you verified all your valves are in their proper position?
Old 05-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #11

THOR #19132
The drain valves are now closed. The bypass valve was not touched so it should be in the closed position. The suction valve coming from the water tank is now open. I’m not sure what isolation valve you are speaking of????

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-24-2021, 12:05 AM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
If you mean the valve from the water tank that supplies water to the pump (winterization port?).....it is open and water comes out the filter when I open up the filter.

I did not remove the fresh water filter. I will have to locate it? I will look near the hot water heater first. Any suggestions where it the filter might be?

Thanks!
It could be anywhere. Maybe someone with a Vegas will reply but you can also register on the Thor Owners Site (https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/) and download your schematics and it will tell you where it is located.

On my Outlaw 29H it was under the kitchen sink. In my Magnitude it is under the bed right next to the water pump.

I would take a look at the water filter. Especially if you have never changed it. You could have something in there blocking the flow such that if your city water has higher pressure, you get some flow and with your pump you don't get as much pressure and no flow.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:38 AM   #13

THOR #19132
Thanks. I will look at every possible place that is accessible!
Old 05-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #14

THOR #19132
Found the problem. The kitchen sink faucet was non functional. I disconnected the water supply and turned on the pump and water was flowing. The bathroom sink faucet is working with both city and pump water.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot. I have not found the “T” nor an inline water filter.

I have to remove the sink to replace the faucet and spout, which will be real tight quarters!
Old 05-24-2021, 04:34 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Found the problem. The kitchen sink faucet was non functional. I disconnected the water supply and turned on the pump and water was flowing. The bathroom sink faucet is working with both city and pump water.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot. I have not found the “T” nor an inline water filter.

I have to remove the sink to replace the faucet and spout, which will be real tight quarters!
The "T" is a schematic representation: in reality there are numerous "Tees" coming off the cold water header to various faucets and the water heater.

What water filter are you looking for? The 2015 24.1 does not have a built-in water filter, only the suction strainer on the suction side of the water pump.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #16

THOR #12751
This drawing may help you understand the water system and lingo a little better........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 12.55.02 PM.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	30757  
Old 05-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #17

THOR #19132
It was mentioned on this thread that my problem might have been the water filter.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #18

THOR #19132
Thanks for the schismatic. I drew one up my self.

Further update. It turned out it was a simple problem. The spout filter screen was totally plugged with debris. After cleaning it, water is flowing just fine! It was flowing fine last fall before winterizing. Feeling a little stupid for not checking it first . But oh well! I’m more in tuned with my water system now!
Old 05-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #19

THOR #12751
Quote:
Thanks for the schismatic. I drew one up my self.

Further update. It turned out it was a simple problem. The spout filter screen was totally plugged with debris. After cleaning it, water is flowing just fine! It was flowing fine last fall before winterizing. Feeling a little stupid for not checking it first . But oh well! I’m more in tuned with my water system now!
This is a common problem. Construction debris in the plumbing eventually ends up at the strainer in the faucets. This kills flow and also wreaks havoc on tankless water heaters. This has been the subject of multiple threads.

Best thing to do is to remove all the strainers from the faucets and then get as much water pressure and flow as you can and flush out the hot and cold lines running to reach faucet.

If you do find a water filter, it would be good to replace that as well.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:00 PM   #20

THOR #19132
Thanks for your advise! I am almost positive there is no water filter in line anywhere.