Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2021, 05:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #25309
Water Leak

2019 Thor Chateau 28z. We will be driving along and notice the rug in the coach is soaking wet. We have water leaking from underneath the slide.
I have gotten underneath the sink and looked at all the water lines I can see. They seem dry. No evidence of water around the hot water heater.
I previously thought I was dealing with AC condensation getting through the slide seal. But, the RV sat in my driveway for three days, no power, no AC. No rain. I took the RV to the dump station, and we were on a slight incline. Water begins pouring out the exterior of the RV from underneath the slide.
Any thoughts at all. Where is this water coming from?
Thanks in advance,
R

Old 11-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertleegrant View Post
2019 Thor Chateau 28z. We will be driving along and notice the rug in the coach is soaking wet. We have water leaking from underneath the slide.
I have gotten underneath the sink and looked at all the water lines I can see. They seem dry. No evidence of water around the hot water heater.
I previously thought I was dealing with AC condensation getting through the slide seal. But, the RV sat in my driveway for three days, no power, no AC. No rain. I took the RV to the dump station, and we were on a slight incline. Water begins pouring out the exterior of the RV from underneath the slide.
Thanks in advance,
R
Are you sure it was 100% dry before it sat 3 days?
Was the water pump (DC) on the 3 days?
Where is your water tank located?

My initial thought is the input line to the water tank has a leak and water is flowing out of tank under pressure to unwanted areas or similar us happening with your supply line from the water pump.

I am surprised you have not seen water on the ground though?

If it were me, I would drain all of the tanks and blow out air dry. Allow good circulation in the wet area and and allow it to dry and clean where I could. It may take a while depending on weather, during interim, I would get a plumbing diagram so I would know where every connection is.

With tank empty (bone dry); I would then try city water connection for several days to see if waters returns? If not, you would have at least verified the source as freshwater tank or water pump.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:25 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Agree with the above. Water leaks can be very destructive in an RV if not addressed right away.

It looks like both your gravity fill and city water connection are aft on the driver side? Your tank is usually directly below the gravity fill. So plumbing likely runs beneath your fridge to the sink area where it connects to the hot water tank.

Looks like your hot water tank is on the slide, and access is under the kitchen sink. Water lines in the slide are usually flexible hoses, so I would check that area thoroughly... especially since the water is coming from under the slide.

Is the water coming from the slide area UNDER your hot water tank? I'd suspect those flexible hoses under there. There's probably quite a few Pex line and hose connections in you sink/hot water tank area. Then those water lines run beneath the floor across to your bathroom.

You may need to remove some screw mounted access panels to get to the lines.

With the slide extended look under it for a channel with rubber seals - you will be able to poke fingers through it. If there IS a channel there, it's to prevent the slide from pinching the flexible hoses when the slide extends/retracts. I'm guessing that area is the source of your leak.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #4

State: Louisiana
THOR #25309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Agree with the above. Water leaks can be very destructive in an RV if not addressed right away.

It looks like both your gravity fill and city water connection are aft on the driver side? Your tank is usually directly below the gravity fill. So plumbing likely runs beneath your fridge to the sink area where it connects to the hot water tank.

Looks like your hot water tank is on the slide, and access is under the kitchen sink. Water lines in the slide are usually flexible hoses, so I would check that area thoroughly... especially since the water is coming from under the slide.

Is the water coming from the slide area UNDER your hot water tank? I'd suspect those flexible hoses under there. There's probably quite a few Pex line and hose connections in you sink/hot water tank area. Then those water lines run beneath the floor across to your bathroom.

You may need to remove some screw mounted access panels to get to the lines.

With the slide extended look under it for a channel with rubber seals - you will be able to poke fingers through it. If there IS a channel there, it's to prevent the slide from pinching the flexible hoses when the slide extends/retracts. I'm guessing that area is the source of your leak.
Hello! Thanks very much for the input. I appreciate it. I added some pictures. I have been under the sink and removed the panels. I can access the hot water heater and the sink drain, etc. It really seems bone dry under there. If there were more lines behind the slide seal, how would you access them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F0EB93E-C77A-49C9-A691-E0299A4590F4.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	34720   Click image for larger version

Name:	D067CA7F-276C-4816-BA49-F8F595B59EA1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	34721  

Name:	C7FFD913-084B-4667-8A1A-8EB3B3CE5D8D.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	34722  
Old 11-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #5

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Hello! Thanks very much for the input. I appreciate it. I added some pictures. I have been under the sink and removed the panels. I can access the hot water heater and the sink drain, etc. It really seems bone dry under there. If there were more lines behind the slide seal, how would you access them?
The first picture under the right corner of the white tank is wet, I can see the discoloration. I'll reiterate the need to drain all water containers, water heater, fresh and waste tanks and get dehumidifiers and fans in to dry it. As Chateau_Nomad said, water in an RV is very destructive and a water damage repair can be very difficult.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #6

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
The first picture under the right corner of the white tank is wet, I can see the discoloration. I'll reiterate the need to drain all water containers, water heater, fresh and waste tanks and get dehumidifiers and fans in to dry it. As Chateau_Nomad said, water in an RV is very destructive and a water damage repair can be very difficult.
Good catch... that's the hot water tank - the white is the styrofoam insulation around it.

I agree with draining ALL water... freshwater tank, hot water tank and open the low point drains. Blow out the lines if possible.

You DO NOT want to let water creep beneath the flooring next to that leak!! Depending on your climate's current temperature, either use a small fan-driven space heater or a dehumidifier to dry that out as soon as possible. Mold will quickly grow under the linoleum if left damp.

That leak MAY be from one of your threaded fittings in that area, or (less likely - but possible) a Pex clamp that has come loose. As best you can, twist every one of those white hose fittings that you can find tight (clockwise). Those are HIGHLY suspect of leaking.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:33 PM   #7

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
I also do understand the need to dry the wet areas out, but why not first find and repair the leak quickly before you dry it out? If you dry it out now and then search for the leak, how? Get it wet again and then dry it out again?
Old 11-08-2021, 03:45 PM   #8

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I also do understand the need to dry the wet areas out, but why not first find and repair the leak quickly before you dry it out? If you dry it out now and then search for the leak, how? Get it wet again and then dry it out again?
Just my opinion...
If it was me? I would IMMEDIATELY dry it out - OSB will wick water further under the flooring where it may be impossible to reach. Then you have a musty odor and mold problem that will NEVER go away.

When you start trouble shooting, stuff towels where the KNOWN leak is. BUT tighten any and all visible fittings before pressurizing the water lines again.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #9

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Just my opinion...
If it was me? I would IMMEDIATELY dry it out - OSB will wick water further under the flooring where it may be impossible to reach. Then you have a musty odor and mold problem that will NEVER go away.

When you start trouble shooting, stuff towels where the KNOWN leak is. BUT tighten any and all visible fittings before pressurizing the water lines again.
I agree that it's imperative to get it dry but while it is still wet, apply water pressure to all the line , get some paper towels a bright flashlight and lay on the floor or up close and look. Maybe you can find that leak but there may be others. Just my opinion.

I just recently repaired my GFs 5th wheel floor damage due to refer condensation long time dripping inside and leak to 1/2 bath toilet. She's 3rd owner and this damage started long before she got it. My PDI checked all the floor for soft spots and there were none detectable, but damage obviously began under cabinets and progressed outward in a semi-circle of OSB mush. We've been battling a musty smell since we got it, fans, ozone generator, etc, to no avail. I removed the OSB mush with a putty knife after peeling back the sheet vinyl. I could wring water out with my hand. Nasty crap. Damaged area measured about 6'x2' half "oval". 1/2 bath floor replaced with plywood AFTER I got it dry and sealed with a penetrating epoxy.

Fix it sooner than later.

EDIT our musty smell all gone now.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
The area under/around your water heater appears wet and that may need further inspection. You need to check the fittings to/from the water heater.

Paul
Old 11-09-2021, 01:29 AM   #11

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Our MAJOR water leak was the flex hose from the sink to holding tank it was NOT attached!
Reattaching was was not an easy fix because of the location, would have been much easer with an extra elbow between my wrist and elbow .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211108_192736.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	34730  
Old 11-09-2021, 01:35 AM   #12

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #21314
On our windsport 29m, the drain line for the kitchen sink pulled apart letting water come inside the kitchen area. When the slide is out poke your head through the small opening and take a look.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:00 AM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Just a thought for future. When checking for water leaks, not wanting to leak more water, why not pressurize with air and use soapy water on joints until you find the one that bubbles?
Old 11-09-2021, 04:00 AM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We had a leak behind and under the water heater. It turned out that the electric heating element was not screwed in tightly from the factory. Access was almost impossible without removing the unit but I was able to get it done on my rig (SOB). It’s worth checking.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:29 PM   #15

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:

I agree. Fix it, then test it, then dry it out.

Glad the op found their problem.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:44 PM   #16

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
The OP has NOT returned with a checkered flag yet. :-/
Old 11-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Wisconsin
THOR #11120
Quote:
Thanks in advance,
R
I had a Thor 31w that I had a water issue like this. Check the exterior bottom corner seals on the slides for possible openings. I had one person tell me they were roof scuppers the top of the slide but I pointed out they shouldn’t be open to the interior.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:33 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
I had this same problem.

flex hose from sink leaking in mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Our MAJOR water leak was the flex hose from the sink to holding tank it was NOT attached!
Reattaching was was not an easy fix because of the location, would have been much easer with an extra elbow between my wrist and elbow .
Old 11-13-2021, 08:23 PM   #19

THOR #16721
Quote:
The OP has NOT returned with a checkered flag yet. :-/
5 days now... either fixed... or good n soaked...