Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2019, 05:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 23U
State: California
THOR #9748
Water leak, puddle next to stove

We had a good rain this week, wind and about 2 inches over 12 hrs.
Wife discovered a good size puddle between the wall and back side of the stove and a towel was soaked. Now the back splash paper is starting to show some damage. No water damage in either cupboard on either side of the stove. The microwave is right above the stove. We have a classic 23' Class C Four Winds. There are no cracks on the roof. There is a vent on that wall for the stove fan and a outdoor light next to it. The vent looks well sealed.
Anyone have some experience with this issue.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #2

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
My suggestion would be to get a garden hose and wet down that outside area so that you can dublicate the problem then repair it.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
If it was a driving rain, I would suspect the stove vent.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Caulking around the exterior stove vent seems to be a common requirement per the attached link. Also exterior re-caulking carefully around windows as the coach ages is not a bad idea.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...-3-a-2548.html
Old 01-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #13460
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Caulking around the exterior stove vent seems to be a common requirement per the attached link. Also exterior re-caulking carefully around windows as the coach ages is not a bad idea.

I agree with the stove vent theory. We experienced the same thing and it was the stove vent being blown open by side wind. Needed to replace tabs holding it closed for travel.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post

I did all of that. On the tops and sides of my frameless windows, I used marine under-water adhesive sealant. I then covered over the sealant with blue painters tape and it sat for 5 days before coming off (see attached AC plug cover, which was soaking wet wood inside when I noticed it had one if those garbage thin, foam gaskets, leaving a 1/8th inch air/water gap.

MY worry is where water is going on the passenger and drivers frameless windows bottom slide areas. (see pics). The water goes under the rubber flap where the window slides, yet the entire bottom frame is sealed, with no bottom weep holes.

Anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190120_090520.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	15220   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190120_090640.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	15221  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190120_090534.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	15222  
Old 01-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Hmmm......your exterior light fixture is in the neighborhood of the stove vent I think on your coach?.....might check that upper fixture seal also and any weep hole in the lens. Once the internal water is dried up around the stove top can you use paper towel laid flat on the affected area of countertop to determine where the wet is coming from........running down the inside wall or dripping from the rear range vent hood.......try to isolate how its getting to where it is wet if possible. The paper towel will serve to map the water track somewhat so you can home in on source if not obvious already. You probably will have to do, as a previous poster suggested, hose down the outside wall in stages to see if you can simulate the source and track down the leak point. Level the coach (which I assume it already was during the rain). The only higher devices above the vent openings are awning and roof edge I think.....but water can migrate sideways in amazing ways. If you cant find an obvious water entry point I would get in touch with Thor/Dealer ASAP as they may have experience with other owners of this coach already dealing with this same issue......and know the fix for it.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #8

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
We too had the leak "dripping water from the hood vent". We used to keep a plastic pan under it to catch the water.
I cauked around the hood vent on the exterior and no more drip detected after a few rains. The exterior vent itself looks like two separate parts. There are slots on the vent "snout" on the top and bottom as if it can be snapped off. I didn't try to snap it off to investigate the entire assembly, I just put a nice bead of caulk across the top edge filling in the slots on the upper side to stop water from entering at all.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:04 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: California
THOR #9748
I think the culprit is the light. We just got another .5" or rain and this time I pulled out the microwave. Found small drip in the shelf right below the 1" hole for the outside light. There was no seal on the light so I sealed it. Will check it in the morning.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #10

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Get the coach pressure tested. Not very expensive.