Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2020, 06:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #19030
Cool Water Leaking

We have a 2017 Thor Ace 30.1 and have severe leaks on both driver and passenger sides. Checked roof and can't find any worn areas that leak but during heavy rains we have to put plastic on driver's area console and put down towels. This last time we put a tarp on the roof that came 1/2 way down both windows and it still leaked. Doesn't seem to be leaking from windows but any suggestions very welcome...otherwise, I guess we wait until we come off the mountains and find a reliable service tech.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Did you check the status of the sealant between the roof and the front cap? Cracks in it are a common entry point for water. I put Eternabond tape on mine and it's been dry ever since.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:13 AM   #3

Model: Windsor 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #17511
I have 2017 Vegas 24.1 and just had the same issue. I got on the roof over the cab and found the clearance lights had water in them. I called Thor and got the brand of the lights. Found them for sale on the internet. Replaced the original ones and sealed them properly.

Second issue. Thor put a spacer between the outside fiberglass body and the drivers side window unit where it bolts together. The spacer had fallen down and the water leaked in between the outside window frame and the fiberglass exterior. I duct taped the spacer in place and resealed the frame to the fiberglass. No more leaks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann View Post
We have a 2017 Thor Ace 30.1 and have severe leaks on both driver and passenger sides. Checked roof and can't find any worn areas that leak but during heavy rains we have to put plastic on driver's area console and put down towels. This last time we put a tarp on the roof that came 1/2 way down both windows and it still leaked. Doesn't seem to be leaking from windows but any suggestions very welcome...otherwise, I guess we wait until we come off the mountains and find a reliable service tech.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by emallett1 View Post
I have 2017 Vegas 24.1 and just had the same issue. I got on the roof over the cab and found the clearance lights had water in them. I called Thor and got the brand of the lights. Found them for sale on the internet. Replaced the original ones and sealed them properly.

Second issue. Thor put a spacer between the outside fiberglass body and the drivers side window unit where it bolts together. The spacer had fallen down and the water leaked in between the outside window frame and the fiberglass exterior. I duct taped the spacer in place and resealed the frame to the fiberglass. No more leaks!
Please share more detail about the window reseal. How exactly did you reseal the window? Did you take it completely out? Did the hole cut for the window seem much larger than it needed to be?
Old 06-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Please share more detail about the window reseal. How exactly did you reseal the window? Did you take it completely out? Did the hole cut for the window seem much larger than it needed to be?
Why do people just disappear from this site to never be heard again? It happens every time I ask a question hoping for a reply.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
He only had a couple of posts in February, one in April, and one earlier this Month...
Old 06-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #7

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
I had a serious leak in my cab over window. Heavy rain and the water poured in. I final broke down and resealed the window based on this video.

I purchased the kit from Seal-Tite website and reinstalled the window. Once the window was out it was obvious where the leak was - cheap foam core.

No leaks now and I have enough left over to do every window on my 24F. It was a straight forward task - Mark Polk makes it look easy...and it was. Took me about 2 hours and 2 beers.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #8

Model: Windsor 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #17511
Sorry Jimbo56, we have been gone for while. I haven't check in lately. Some else posted a link on how to remove and replace said window. The foam core was the main reason for the problem. That info should really help to fix the issue. Again, sorry I disappeared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Why do people just disappear from this site to never be heard again? It happens every time I ask a question hoping for a reply.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #9

THOR #19030
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Did you check the status of the sealant between the roof and the front cap? Cracks in it are a common entry point for water. I put Eternabond tape on mine and it's been dry ever since.
Thanks! We are going to try and use the Butyl Sealing Tape. Everywhere that it is screwed in is cracked - and caulked over, which is doing absolutely nothing. I will let you know if we're successful. I appreciate your assistance.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #10

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Sometimes the slide motors get out of sync and dont go as tight on one side. Resync. Also keep your seals pliable with conditioner. Check even for the slightest of gaps/holes and seal. Flashlight in the dark with someone inside looking for a glimpse. It takes diligence but Normally can be found.