Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2017, 12:57 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenb2560 View Post
I was bothered that my 31' ACE did not have side turn signal markers so I also added these chrome LED side turn signals. It now gives other drivers warning that I'm changing lanes, especially on the busy 3 lane interstate highways.

Great safety addition! Thanks for sharing that!

Old 05-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #22

THOR #2830
Thanks for the kudos, happy to share. Glad I found this blog so I could pick a few brains. Yes, both sides are painted, all edges including inside circle cuts as well. I used Rustoleum satin black containing acetone, which attacks plastic, creating a permanent bond. I find Lexan to be a great material for many projects. Affordable and virtually indestructible. Have fun with your project.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #23

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
I am also perplexed why their are no turn signals anywhere on the sides of our Axis. I thought this was a DOT requirement. I found a combination marker/turn signal LED fixture from etrailer.com. Unlike another on the market, it is a surface mount and does not require a big cut out. When I get them installed, I'll post a picture. I want as many people on the road as possible to know what my lane changing intentions are....
Old 05-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #24

THOR #3483
Very nice looking. LED are the way to go. I may copy your improvement in the future. People need to also know that if you install the LEDs in the rear, probably should leave the regular incandescent bulb turn signal lights in the front alone and not swap them with some kind of plug in LED. It will confuse the turn signal controller because not enough amps are drawn.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #25

THOR #3483
Side Turn Signals Axis

The Axis also does not have side turn signal lights????? I just replaced mine with combination marker/turn signal lights that are LED. Picture to be posted soon. Quite an improvement and a bit larger than the stock. Only one extra screw hole to drill too.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #26

THOR #3483
Tail lights Replacement

Still frustrated with moisture getting into the stock tail lights on our '16 Axis. The very slight gasket that comes with the center back-up light is especially a pain.
So, I found that the same company, Command Electronics out of Michigan now sells a sealed all LED model. Company was very good to deal with email so far. I will post pictures of them when they arrive. Oh yes, same dimensions as the originals so no cutting will be necessary.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Still frustrated with moisture getting into the stock tail lights on our '16 Axis. The very slight gasket that comes with the center back-up light is especially a pain.
So, I found that the same company, Command Electronics out of Michigan now sells a sealed all LED model. Company was very good to deal with email so far. I will post pictures of them when they arrive. Oh yes, same dimensions as the originals so no cutting will be necessary.
A-Earl...Can you provide more details on where to get them? Link? Website?

I prefer the brighter LEDs.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #28

THOR #1249
Yes, I would be interested in changing mine out for led's also especially if they come with real gaskets and not the crappy ones on the originals.

Leaking taillights has been just one of the more serious problems with the Axis- Vegas if not taken care of before rot sets in. My fix and others have been to remove the gaskets, dry out the plywood sockets, poly coated the sockets and re-install lens with sealant.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #29

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I used butyl tape on mine in place of the foam gasket. Also sealed the removable white reverse light lens with the butyl tape. It comes out with no gasket at all...at least mine did....just a micro bead of it around the lip....didn't take much.

I too would like to make note of the LED option. I'll go that way if I have any future problems.
....but keep in mind sealed LED units like that often get condensation inside them.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #30

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
A-Earl...Can you provide more details on where to get them? Link? Website?

I prefer the brighter LEDs.

Thanks
003-30 / 003-30L / 003-30LE: COMMAND ULTRA MODERN RECESSED TRIPLE 12 VOLT TAIL LIGHT — Command Electronics
Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #31

THOR #2830
Am I missing something?

I checked this link, am I missing something? They look like the same exact thing as stock. There is no info on that site that offers any further information.

We attended an RV show recently and I found it interesting that many manufacturers are still utilizing these cheap failing taillight configurations. All about the margin.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #32

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
What I found was that in the options pull down, you can select a couple different LED options.

I didn't see any different pictures or details....& I actually wonder if they are truly sealed units and not just the same housings with LED bulbs or modules. I'm guessing the OP might have talked to someone to confirm.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of their new lights and the installation.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:24 AM   #33

Model: 2017 Quantum
THOR #9015
2017 Quantum - same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Wonder if Thor has changed the design and upgraded the tail lights in the later models? Maybe some late model owners could comment on this. I would think after having some serious issues with water damage Thor would take notice.
As of the 2017 models they have not changed anything on the Quantum. We have condensation / moisture in our tail lights and will have to look into this issue as well.

Just got it back from the the first round of warranty repairs. Now this too. I think I will seal it up myself to avoid dealer headaches.

Thank you all for your posts. I was not too worried about a little condensation in the lenses but now I will take it seriously.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #34

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
What I found was that in the options pull down, you can select a couple different LED options.

I didn't see any different pictures or details....& I actually wonder if they are truly sealed units and not just the same housings with LED bulbs or modules. I'm guessing the OP might have talked to someone to confirm.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of their new lights and the installation.
I have received the new LED models and getting ready to swap them. They are total LED including the model I got that has LED back-ups. They are using a large gasket made out of the same spongey material so I am thinking that I will start out with butyl sealing tape around the edges instead.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #35

Model: 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #12332
Hi, I just ordered the replacement LED lights as well, and wondering how the install gasket worked out for you. Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #36

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #1393
I did not use any of the gaskets and used silicone caulking as both a gasket and as a sealant around the tail light after installation. I have found the gasket simply does not work over time and water will eventually get in there.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:06 AM   #37

THOR #2830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkers View Post
Hi, I just ordered the replacement LED lights as well, and wondering how the install gasket worked out for you. Thanks
I used this gasket

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Buil...1033/100175299

Works great. It is intended for marine use which includes submerged. Being that the LEDs I used are completely sealed, the gaskets don't necessarily have to protect them but keep water out of the cavity. I also polyurethaned inside the cavity to protect the wood from any moisture.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #38

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkers View Post
Did not use the sponge gasket. Used butyl rubber tape around the entire edge to seal the unit. Used RV Flex sealant around the outside edge as well. Stainless screws with o-rings. So far, no moisture drops showing inside. Still like the LED look because they are so much brighter. Replaced the rear roof marker lights with Grote brand LED models.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #39

Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #11670
ACE Tail Lights

The tail lights in my 2018 ACE 30.4 were the exact same as the ones in my 2005 Class-C. Thor must have bought a million of them. The cheapest light on the market. I replaced mine with Bargman horizontal LED's and added the same lights (minus the backup light) up high so they could be seen when I'm towing. Bought from trailerparts.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0798.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	13249  
Old 10-05-2018, 11:18 PM   #40
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How did you fish the wires down to the existing lights for the high mounted ones? (A really good idea!)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote