Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau Super C Bunkhouse
State: Iowa
THOR #9451
Water Leaks in Cab

I have a 2018 Thor Chateau Super C 35SB and driving home this week in a pouring rain, I noticed water leaking on the driver's side airbag port, in the center header and the passenger's side airbag port. Water seemed to be dripping all over the inside of the cab. It was very windy and the rain was intense. Anyone know how water can get into the roof of the cab and leak in multiple places inside?

Old 03-12-2019, 12:08 AM   #2

Model: 35SB
State: Florida
THOR #12099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
I have a 2018 Thor Chateau Super C 35SB and driving home this week in a pouring rain, I noticed water leaking on the driver's side airbag port, in the center header and the passenger's side airbag port. Water seemed to be dripping all over the inside of the cab. It was very windy and the rain was intense. Anyone know how water can get into the roof of the cab and leak in multiple places inside?
I have a 2015 SB and have heard of bad seals between the overhang and the cab roof. How's it look?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"pstandiford" (as best I remember) on this forum had the same exact issue with his 35. Turned out to be the seal as described above...between the truck cab and the overhang. He had water running in at the same points. You can reach out to him as I'm sure he will be of great assistance to you. There have been a few 35 models with this seal issue. As you unfold this issue, make certain the side curtain airbags have not been breached with moisture. That would be very expensive to repair and faulty deployment underway could ruin a good pair of underwear.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Yep. We had leaks. There appears to be a channel that runs around the cab. Water would get into the channel and leak whenever we would move the MH. It was leaking multiple places. The seal between the cap and the cab, the molding on drivers side where the cap joined the body, the support for the awning over the slide on the drivers side. They fixed all that and we still had a leak. They got a moisture detector and found moisture on the passenger side even though we had never seen any moisture there. The removed the sofa and the cabinet above the sofa along with the bunk and quite a bit of the passenger side wall covering and insulation. They found that the leak was at the awning bracket. Sealed that and replaced all the bad insulation and wall covering. Finally got it back about a week ago.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #5

THOR #11130
WOW....that will sure tax your attitude. More places for me to check now JIC. I didn't realize that dance was so long. I don't see one for sale so all must be good now, huh? What year model chassis/body was yours? Mine is a 17/18.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #6

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
WOW....that will sure tax your attitude. More places for me to check now JIC. I didn't realize that dance was so long. I don't see one for sale so all must be good now, huh? What year model chassis/body was yours? Mine is a 17/18.

Yep. 17/18. I’m just glad we didn’t have plans to winter in Florida. They did all the work between mid-November and March. In addition to the leaks we had a list of about 20 items. Now that we have it back we have found two problems that were not 100% right but they will work on it when we get back from our first trip of the year.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #7

THOR #11130
At least it rides quiet and has power to spare!!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #8

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
At least it rides quiet and has power to spare!!

Hey Don, Curious what MPG you are getting. Mine really isn’t broken in yet but the best I have gotten is 9.6. Average with about 2600 tracked miles is 8.3. Do you think it will get better?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #9

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
Hey Don, Curious what MPG you are getting. Mine really isn’t broken in yet but the best I have gotten is 9.6. Average with about 2600 tracked miles is 8.3. Do you think it will get better?

I've driven around all 4 states around me and made one trip to Indiana. I consistently run 65 MPH on cruise at 2200 RPM...the power is enough to keep it there. It's not downshifted one single time and drops only 1 MPH on the steepest hills and average fuel economy is 11.8 over about 8,000 miles. I did play around once with it, resetting while moving along and tested it at 70 and 75 on flat ground. It dropped below 10 quickly an I could feel a huge difference in wind resistance. I don't have a lot of stuff packed away in the bays so the weight isn't near the max. I've seen some coaches at campgrounds, etc. packed to the max with everything they own, which makes a huge difference in mileage, especially if you drive a lot in mountains. We will set sail this summer for the adventures of the West. I'll get a much truer test of mileage then.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #10

THOR #2020
Thanks Gritz. I guess I’ll just watch and hope it gets better. The last two tanks were against some stiff headwinds. Sure has the power though. And handles just great. Even in 15 - 20 MPH winds.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #11

THOR #11130
If I could change one thing, it's the fuel delivery system. In 2017 Ford eliminated the dash switch that allowed you to manually switch from either fuel tank. Gauges are digital and the engine runs off the front tank only (28 gallons). As it uses fuel, the rear tank (40 gallons) automatically transfers fuel to the front tank. The front tank never drops below 3/4 full. This results over a 300-400 mile run with the rear tank close to empty. The generator runs off the rear tank only and cuts out when it gets down to 5 or so gallons. I always have to refuel before stopping for the night to make sure I have generator fuel in case of a default with shore power, the plan is boondocking for a few days or any other issue. Both tanks have auxiliary ports on them. The dealership said the can run another fuel line from the front tank and install a two-way valve allowing me to use fuel for generator from either tank. So far it hasn't been a real problem but some day I can see having nearly 35+ gallons of fuel on board and not being able to run generator.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:04 AM   #12

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #21130
2018 Chateau 35SB Water Leak

Hi,

I’ve owned my 35SB 17/2018 for about a week and half. After one rain parked outside I moved the couch up a slight grade and heard a tremendous water rushing sound then massive amounts of water poured out of the truck cab roof. Through the lights and sunglasses holder and out both A post grab handles then out the rear of the Ford roof overhead. After reading some of these posts it seems I have the leak. Is this something a shop repairs or can a person do it?
Old 11-06-2020, 01:13 AM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Water Leaks in Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike’sMoneyPit 35SB View Post
Hi,

I’ve owned my 35SB 17/2018 for about a week and half. After one rain parked outside I moved the couch up a slight grade and heard a tremendous water rushing sound then massive amounts of water poured out of the truck cab roof. Through the lights and sunglasses holder and out both A post grab handles then out the rear of the Ford roof overhead. After reading some of these posts it seems I have the leak. Is this something a shop repairs or can a person do it?

It would indeed seem to be a leak! You did check for open windows or roof vents....? If there was a massive amount of water after one rain it should not be terribly difficult locate the source. Usually we find ourselves trying to track down tiny little things! Water is ALWAYS bad news as it can result in structural damage and mold in a very short time. I would waste no time getting up on the roof on my hands and knees looking for cracked or missing sealant around seams, lights, vents etc. Also check the sidewalls in the front. If you are not confident that you have located the problem make haste to get it to a competent RV repair shop. They do this sort of thing all the time. Water in the Ford roof is unusual so study carefully where it might be from. If you’ve only had your unit for a week and a half you need to be sure he leak hasn’t been happening for a longer time with the previous owner. If it has you might have a significant amount of repair to deal with. If you find a suspected leak dry it well and seal it with self leveling lap sealant on he roof or urethane sealant on a vertical surface. Resist all temptation to use silicone. Do it quickly. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #14

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike’sMoneyPit 35SB View Post
Hi,

I have my 2020 Magnitude SV34 Super C having a structural issue addressed with the front cap / cab-over.

This seems to be a common problem with the Super C's. The tech I was working with apparently works on this issue a lot. He said the real issue is a the screws they use to to attach the front cap to the cab and the house box are too small and over-tightened and stripped.

My wife was on Facebook yesterday and saw a Magnitude that look just like our with the molding bowed and screws broken where the front cap attaches to the house box. It is clear this is a failure point dating back to the older Super C's.

As you drive and level the coach, the flexing will start to break screws and over tightened screws start to fall out. I didn't have any water leaks with mine yet but once the screws have begun to fail there will be enough movement that the seal on the cab roof will be compromised. As you drive in rain, the water will driven under the front cap and start to leak in around the roof of the cab. I can just about guarantee that is what happened to you.

I am still waiting for them to finish some other work before I get my coach back to see what they have done but they told me it took a full day to fix.

I just e-mailed Thor to find out what they did to repair my issue because the post my wife found said someone from Thor went to the dealer and installed reinforcement plates on each side of the front cap where it mounts. They also have to repaint the coach in that area. If it only took a day to fix, I doubt they installed the reinforcement because that would have meant painting it too.

If they only installed larger screws, I am sure the issue will happen again the way the cab-ver bounces when driving and from the torque on the body when leveling.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:55 AM   #15

State: Michigan
THOR #24371
Hi Judge,

Is yours still not leaking? I purchased a 2021 Thor Magnitude and today when I pulled the drivers side visor down I was soaked with gushing water. I need to get a resolution on this ASAP. I appreciate any input.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:21 AM   #16

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie664 View Post
Hi Judge,

Is yours still not leaking? I purchased a 2021 Thor Magnitude and today when I pulled the drivers side visor down I was soaked with gushing water. I need to get a resolution on this ASAP. I appreciate any input.

The front cap repair Thor did is still holding. I’m in the middle of a 7-week 7500 mile trip and so far so good.

I had mine front cap mounting issue addressed before I had any leaks
Old 09-25-2021, 03:27 AM   #17

Model: XG 32 Omni
THOR #4243
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ues-27773.html

Thread all about the front cap structural issue.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #18

THOR #24371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
The front cap repair Thor did is still holding. I’m in the middle of a 7-week 7500 mile trip and so far so good.

Hi Judge,

Thank you for the response.

Basically, I have about a month left on the factory warranty and am trying to get all of my ducks in a row before it expires.

What happened with mine is, when I pulled the driver's side sun visor down yesterday, a HUGE gush of water came in and completely soaked me. I don't see any signs of the cap separating like others but I think it must be an issue with the seal for the cap.

Did Thor actually fix yours directly or was it a dealer who knew what to do? I've lost faith in most dealers these days...

I'm putting a detailed report together of all my issues and I hate to bug you personally but if you have 5 minutes to spare, please send me a PM and I would welcome a quick phone call.

Thank you!
Eddie

Old 09-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #19

THOR #24371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

Hi Judge,

Basically, I have about a month left on the factory warranty and am trying to get all of my ducks in a row before it expires.

What happened with mine is, when I pulled the driver's side sun visor down yesterday, a HUGE gush of water came in and completely soaked me. I don't see any signs of the cap separating like others but I think it must be an issue with the seal for the cap.

Did Thor actually fix yours directly or was it a dealer who knew what to do? I've lost faith in most dealers these days...

I'm putting a detailed report together of all my issues and I hate to bug you personally but if you have 5 minutes to spare, please send me a PM and I would welcome a quick phone call.

Thank you!
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3119.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	33865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3126.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	33866  

Old 09-25-2021, 05:40 PM   #20

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie664 View Post
Hi Judge,

Thank you!
Eddie

The front cap issue manifests itself multiple ways; including the screws falling out in the headliner where the cap mounts to the cab roof.

My guess is your screes loosened and then the sealant as broken free from the cap movement. When you drive down the road at 50mph in the rain water is forced under the cab-over and it works its way into the joint where the front cap meets the cab roof. Eventually the headliner fills with water and you get a shower.

I had mine fixed at the Thor Factory Service center in Wakarusa. I would not trust a dealer.