Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2022, 04:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: British Columbia
THOR #2763
Screw tip has penetrated outside

I noticed a small brown spot while waxing the back wall of my 2016 Citation. Running my finger over it, I realized it was the sharp end of a screw from the bed frame inside that has gone right through to the outer skin, and is rusting to boot.

My primary concern is to avoid water damage from this puncture. I haven’t yet dragged off the mattress to see whether I can access the screw from inside to try and withdraw it a bit.

How can I seal the puncture of the exterior? Is there anything I can do from the outside that won’t look totally crappy? Our baby is still immaculate (mostly) and we’d like to keep it that way!

Old 09-19-2022, 04:48 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
I would find the screw, back it out completely and replace with an appropriately sized screw.

Fill any damage on the outside with an appropriate sealer..hopefully color matching.

That's what I would do.. shouldn't be really noticeable if applied carefully and color matches up good.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:28 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1663612083

Good Luck!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	64
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	39505  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:28 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’d fix as above and if there is any mismatched color I’d give some thought to covering the spot - depending on where it is - with a carefully selected decal or sticker.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:17 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Decal or sticker….. Get Screwed.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:15 AM   #6

THOR #2763
“Get screwed”… very funny.

What should I use to seal it? The perforation is really tiny, just a pinprick (fortunately). I’m thinking clear silicone exterior caulking?
Old 09-20-2022, 04:27 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
Depends on what color….
White or black a dab of dicor.
Marine gel coat, or proflex.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:22 PM   #8

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
I would find the screw, back it out completely and replace with an appropriately sized screw.

Fill any damage on the outside with an appropriate sealer..hopefully color matching.

That's what I would do.. shouldn't be really noticeable if applied carefully and color matches up good.
My thoughts exactly. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you have access to the use of a bench grinder, you could shorten said screw a thread or two and reinsert, especially since the hole is mated (threaded to) the said screw.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:20 PM   #9

THOR #2763
I’ll pull the bed frame apart later this week and back the screw out. No bench grinder, sadly, so will probably just pull it back a couple of turns. Then I’ll investigate options to seal it up. Will report back with results!
Old 09-20-2022, 10:15 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I agree with using the same screw. For as much needs shortened on the screw, put it in a bench vise and use a metal file.

For sealing that tiny hole, use Pro Flex RV Sealant. use a toothpick to poke the stuff into the hole without making a mess. Then go with the decal idea...
Old 09-21-2022, 01:42 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Decal or sticker….. Get Screwed.
Terry
Hmmm mebbe "Got Screwed"?
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:33 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygirlscats View Post
I’ll pull the bed frame apart later this week and back the screw out. No bench grinder, sadly, so will probably just pull it back a couple of turns. Then I’ll investigate options to seal it up. Will report back with results!

Or you might take it out and put a flat washer under the head so you can tighten it up again.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:11 AM   #13

THOR #2763
Okay, I pulled the mattress off and found this out: on this model of the Citation (24SR), there is a piece of trim that is laid at an angle along the head of the bed to protect an electrical wire.

If you loosen that piece of trim at the bottom and bend it upward, you’ll find that it was fastened into the back wall with 1-3/4” brads. I pulled out the one that had caused the puncture and found rust most of the way along it. Then I went outside and examined that whole area closely - and found a second place where another of the brads had pushed up against the exterior skin and caused it to crack. I pulled that brad out also and found it was rusted, too. Grrrrrr….. So then I pulled out another one or two just to get them out of the way.

So, since they were just securing a little piece of trim in place I didn’t worry about replacing any of the brads that I pulled. There are plenty of others… oh, goody!… something to look forward to. I did contemplate pulling all of them out and just securing the trim in place with a bit of silicone caulk, but I think I got the ones that looked like they could cause trouble.

Now I just need to dab on a bit of dicor and will probably get a decal to cover the two repairs. Many thanks for the practical advice that I got on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29E5DF01-F409-4F09-BC08-47D5E9F7803B.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	39546   Click image for larger version

Name:	C27C85A9-2258-48B9-837C-AEC44023DF6D.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	39547  

Old 09-24-2022, 12:31 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygirlscats View Post
Okay, I pulled the mattress off and found this out: on this model of the Citation (24SR), there is a piece of trim that is laid at an angle along the head of the bed to protect an electrical wire.

If you loosen that piece of trim at the bottom and bend it upward, you’ll find that it was fastened into the back wall with 1-3/4” brads. I pulled out the one that had caused the puncture and found rust most of the way along it. Then I went outside and examined that whole area closely - and found a second place where another of the brads had pushed up against the exterior skin and caused it to crack. I pulled that brad out also and found it was rusted, too. Grrrrrr….. So then I pulled out another one or two just to get them out of the way.

So, since they were just securing a little piece of trim in place I didn’t worry about replacing any of the brads that I pulled. There are plenty of others… oh, goody!… something to look forward to. I did contemplate pulling all of them out and just securing the trim in place with a bit of silicone caulk, but I think I got the ones that looked like they could cause trouble.

Now I just need to dab on a bit of dicor and will probably get a decal to cover the two repairs. Many thanks for the practical advice that I got on this thread.
Is that a brad puncture in the "Romex" cable in the second picture?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:48 AM   #15

THOR #2763
Sure looks like it. The fun never ends.

Looks like I’ll be re-lifting that trim bit tomorrow to take a closer look. Good thing I hadn’t put the mattress & all back in place yet!

Thanks for the sharp eyes.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:49 PM   #16

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I have done this with the spider web cracks in fiberglass boats before an it works good, you need to get an syringe, like from your local vet, some polyester resin, usually a quart is the smallest quantity and then a couple of bottles of nail polish and try to mix a color to match, most nail polish will mix with the resin, cut the needle short if its a long one and pull out the end an pour in the mix of resin with the color mixed in a very small amount of the harder and force it in the hole, put some masking tape just below the hole in case some leaks back out, as it starts to gel wipe off any excess with a bit of Acetone
Old 09-25-2022, 03:23 AM   #17
MLP

THOR #17478
So are you saying that you were nailed instead of screwed?