Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

State: Alabama
THOR #19048
Water in lower storage containers

When I drive my Thor Class A motorhome in heavy rain one of my lower storage containers gets lots of water. The doors are locked. Is there some type of sealant that we should use to stop the water from coming in? We looked underneath and there is no leaks or holes.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If you don't know the source of the leak where would you put any sealant?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schembre04 View Post
When I drive my Thor Class A motorhome in heavy rain one of my lower storage containers gets lots of water. The doors are locked. Is there some type of sealant that we should use to stop the water from coming in? We looked underneath and there is no leaks or holes.
The newer gas coaches have "slam latches", meaning the bulb seals must be compressed to about half their resting diameter to seal properly. The hinges are not easily adjustable, but the latch's catch is properly adjusted the basement doors will seal properly. You should not be able to push the doors so they hatch with a hand, but should have to slam them hard to latch. For me, I push the door closed and then use my knee to force the door to latch. The leak is usually at the bottom.of the basement door. You can use a 1 inch wide piece of paper trapped between the bulb seal and the door to check for seal. If you can pull the paper out the seal is not compressed.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:51 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
I had the same problem, but only with the hatches that are hinged on the bottom; water got in through the not-very-tight top of the hatch. One one hatch, it was solved by bending the latch pieces slightly to form a tighter seal when closing the hatch. The other one was solved by installing slightly thicker weatherstripping along the top and sides of the hatch opening.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote