Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2018, 11:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Texas
THOR #12364
AC shudders won’t run.

We went to the Ozarks last week, it was hot every day, we ran AC 24/7 in our Thor ACE 29.3. It ran constantly during day but in the night the coach cooled down and the AC would cycle off and on. During the night the AC made a loud noise and shook the motorhome, I turned it off at the thermostat but could still hear a humming sound, flipped the breaker off. Next morning turned back on, ran ok all day same problem again next night. I am thinking that the starting capacitor is going bad, any thoughts from the group?

Old 07-28-2018, 11:31 PM   #2

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead206 View Post
We went to the Ozarks last week, it was hot every day, we ran AC 24/7 in our Thor ACE 29.3. It ran constantly during day but in the night the coach cooled down and the AC would cycle off and on. During the night the AC made a loud noise and shook the motorhome, I turned it off at the thermostat but could still hear a humming sound, flipped the breaker off. Next morning turned back on, ran ok all day same problem again next night. I am thinking that the starting capacitor is going bad, any thoughts from the group?
Does the "bang" happen at start up or while running? The capacitor, I believe, is either good or bad, not intermittent. If it happens while running, it would not be the start capacitor. Another question is, how many cycles before it does that? Same number or does it vary?
Old 07-29-2018, 01:49 AM   #3

THOR #12364
Running then bangs

It was running then made bang and coach shuddered and then AC was makeing a humming noise.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:58 PM   #4

THOR #12364
AC Shudder

Took to dealer they found the thermistor was positioned to high on the coil causing the unit to freeze up, haven’t had it out yet to see if that cures the problem.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:32 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead206 View Post
Took to dealer they found the thermistor was positioned to high on the coil causing the unit to freeze up, haven’t had it out yet to see if that cures the problem.
That was going to be my suggestion, if the freeze sensor is not positioned correctly the unit will freeze up and have exactly the same symptoms you had. Warmer daytime temps prevented freezing, cooler nights allowed it. Hope they got the sensor in the correct position, if so you shouldn’t have any more problems.