Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2022, 06:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Coach Window Sealers

I'm attempting to fix a leak in the small kitchen slider after a big storm two weeks ago and I've watched no less than a dozen videos on youtube. I have a basic idea of "how to" just wondering about the consensus of brand of sealer to use. Some swear by Dap Dynaflex Ultra others say Proflex RV. Anyone care to chime in on what works for you?
Thanks.

RS

Old 01-15-2022, 11:26 PM   #2

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I had a cabover window leak that no matter how much goop I put on it still leaked. Then I went this route and no more leak. I also did my kitchen window since there was enough of the kit left over to do it.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:19 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Proflex
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:07 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
What jimbo said. I also had a cabover window that no amount of any brand sealant would stop it from leaking. It took removing and re-installing to stop the leak.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Pro flex RV.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
What jimbo said. I also had a cabover window that no amount of any brand sealant would stop it from leaking. It took removing and re-installing to stop the leak.
In my experience with almost anything that leaks, this is the case. Pretty much anything put on top of an opening is temporary at best.

And that's whey I'm not convinced that frequent re-caulking of RV windows is anything more than a cash cow for caulk manufacturers.

Now I have zero experience actually removing any RV windows,
but I do know that at least most of these windows are sealed with butyl deep down inside the joint which if installed well entirely fills and seals any void...and then they have some sort of elastomeric ('rubber') weather stripping to trim it out and make it look nice.

The most caulking from the outside has a chance of doing is to hold that weather stripping down which might help things to some very minor level but mostly just makes it look bad.

And if it's leaking that primary seal of butyl has either failed for some reason or just wasn't installed well from the start...and unless you can get something to penetrate deep down into that opening, the only fix is to take it apart.

The closest thing I've ever seen that seems like it might be a plausible solution is "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure". I bought some once and to my eye it's like a very low viscosity elmer's glue...the idea is it's like a penetrating oil you'd spray on a rusty screw but in sealant form. And I have doubts that even this will do much most of the time....because by the time water has leaked through, it has carried dirt down in there which works against sealing efforts.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:22 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
My leak was not actually the window. Mine has small bullet cab clearance lights. The rubber grommets had hardened allowing water intrusion to run down the wiring , found the window frame, and entered under the window causing bubbles in wall paper. Also the satellite radio antenna was magnetically attached to the sealed metal plate on the roof. However, when lifting the little magnetic antenna off the base, there was water intrusion into the wirining hole. We surmised that since this was directly over the drivers window, it was finding its way down the frame as well. These were found after pulling the window and resealing. Then completely replacing the window. Neither of these fixed the water intrusion. My point is that it may not be your window leaking.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:37 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
that's a great point. Leaks can be extremely misleading.
The only leak I've had in my RV so far was like that...not what it appeared to be
Old 01-16-2022, 05:55 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Some great information here and thanks. I agree it seems unlikely water is entering from around the outer seals and more likely a buildup of crud blocking the weep slots at the bottom. I've cleaned them and used compressed air in hopes of dislodging any obstructions. The test today with a water hose will tell if I was successful.

Since this rig is new to me I'm on the lookout for anything that might cause future issues. The countertop under this one kitchen window show signs of previous water damage and water had overflowed the bottom channel last rain so I'm checking all windows now.