Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2017, 05:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4767
Axis oil change at Ford Dealership?

Has anyone taken their Axis to Ford to have the oil changed? if so, what were your results? Do you recommend?

Old 07-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yes while I had mine at a Ford dealer getting the shifter cable repaired (see here http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...rive-2308.html) I also had them change the oil.

Was a non-event: They changed the oil. The only thing I'd mention as a possible issue is that they will only change the V-10's oil and not the genny. (For our usage pattern I simply get both engines oil changed at the end of a season--much easier keeping track like that.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I just picked up oil and filter for our Vegas at Walmart. I change oil between 3000 and 3500 miles. Is very simple task. Made an extender out of pvc for refill. I also change generator oil, another easy task.

I check all fluids and lube all grease points.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
If you have a Ford car dealer that will take in your MH you are lucky.

I guess your F350/F450 Class C is not as tall than a class A MH, for
my Hurricane 34E I found a Medium Duty Ford truck dealer in north
Denver that will work on MH's since they work on stuff up to and
including over the road big rigs.

A oil change for my V10 runs about $120.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #5

THOR #5313
Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend was $18.76 and Motorcraft filter was 5 or 6 bucks. I keep 2 quartss in oil bin for RV, trailer and racecar.

The 4k Onan takes 1.5 quarts of 15w-40 Rotella (truck oil) that I also use in racecar. I also have a 4k Champion generator on racecar trailer that also gets 3/4 quart of 15w-40. I use the Chaimpion at track to save hours on Onan.

If you are handy at all, it saves a lot of dough. I use the Cameo yellow leveling ramps to raise front a little to slide under.

There is a good youtube video covering generator oil change.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4767
Thanks for all of the quick feedback. The Ford dealership here will take it, but like Phil Saran said, they too said no all dealerships can handle the MH. I'm lucky they will. All of the RV shops around here are booked for the next couple of weeks and I was getting a little worried that I may have to drive up to a larger city to get it done. I'm too chicken to try it myself, although I may try to change the generator oil myself if I can find the youtube on how to do it.

Thanks again all....
Old 07-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Because of the hotter weather in Texas I would use 5W-30, IMHO. YES, the cap may say 5W-20, but the Ford website says 5W-30. I have been using Mobil 1 just about since it came out, now use Extended Performance. EP is more expensive but I only change once a year and believe better oil is good insurance. Same for generator, Mobil 1 15W-40. Oil is like religion and politics, everyone has there own opinion and no one is necessarily right.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #8

THOR #5313
I honestly do not think there are any bad oils. I prefer not to use full synthetics based on my own experience except when manufacturer requires it.

My Nissan Altima specs 0w-20 full synthetic and 5000 mile interval, now at 70K never needs oil.
My Suburban specs 5W-30 and uses 1 quart between 2000 mile changes. Tried synthetic once and it used a quart in 500 miles. Sticking with dino oil.
The RV gets Ford recommendation Motorcraft oil. I use shorter interval as unit sits too many days without heat cycle. If I used daily, would use Ford interval
The racecar is different as tolerances are extremely loose, did try synthetic once and it killed lots of mosquitos. Loose internals need thick oil.

From what I have heard from Ford guys, modular motors need clean light oil. I cannot see where using full synthetic in anything can be a negative if there is no change in consumption.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeletaD View Post
Thanks for all of the quick feedback. The Ford dealership here will take it, but like Phil Saran said, they too said no all dealerships can handle the MH. I'm lucky they will. All of the RV shops around here are booked for the next couple of weeks and I was getting a little worried that I may have to drive up to a larger city to get it done. I'm too chicken to try it myself, although I may try to change the generator oil myself if I can find the youtube on how to do it.

Thanks again all....
I noticed some motorhomes behind the local Ford dealer when I was purchasing a vehicle... Asked what service they performed - and after checking said oil changes only... Was hoping they might have done alignments... but looking like a longer drive for that when needed...

Honestly if you are going to try changing the genny oil - the V10 is even simpler... just more oil - but easy access...
Several here have installed Fumoto valves to replace the drain plug - and make future oil changes even easier:
https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106N.../dp/B003T7XUE4
I have one sitting on shelf to install next oil change.

I do it myself as it is cheaper... I know its done right (or at least have no one to blame but myself) - and gives me a chance to check things out underneath... Draining oil, changing filter, greasing steering linkages, general checkout and refilling is under an hour of my time.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote