Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Rubber seals on slide(s)

My wife and I just bought at 2013 Thor Motor Coach 31F that has two slides, one for the bedroom at the back and a larger one for the dinette/oven/sink. In doing my spring cleaning I noticed that the flat rubber strip on the top of the slide was folded under about midway on the slide. I didn't attempt to free it up so that it would lay flat like the other flat seals on the sides and those on the smaller bedroom slide. But I did watch what happened as the large slide retracted and saw that all of the top rubber slide "buckled/turned under" as the retraction occurred. I'm new to this forum and this Motor Coach, so I'm asking whether this turning under is wrong (should the top rubber seal remain flat) and what I might do about it if it is wrong.
Second, I noticed that the rounded rubber seal that lies on the interior, motor coach side of the large slide was about a foot shorter than all of the other slides rubber seals. I'm thinking that this needs to be replaced with a seal of the proper length and ask if anyone knows a source for this type of seal?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
John
Athens, GA

Old 02-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
That flat rubber seal on the top of the slide is suppose fold over and come in on top of the slide when you pull the slide in. It is suppose to fold over and point out when the slide goes out. It seals the top that way.
I watch mine every time in and out. They have a tendency to buckle some where along the line and not go in or out evenly/flat. Whether it's right or wrong, I have a stool I can stand on and I use the awning hook to either pull or push it into the correct position. I use that awning hook very carefully. You don't want to damage or pull the flap loose or off.

As far as the bulb seal, if you can see space where it's not sealing, then yes I would replace it.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

THOR #631
Thank you!

This is very helpful information. I thought about trying a thin aluminum yardstick to help flatten the part that was still tucked under but then realized that I probably needed more information. Now I'll watch the operation of the slides and try doing as you suggest.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #4

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHoge View Post
This is very helpful information. I thought about trying a thin aluminum yardstick to help flatten the part that was still tucked under but then realized that I probably needed more information. Now I'll watch the operation of the slides and try doing as you suggest.
You might also consider buying a can of Rubber Seal Conditioner and spraying the rubber seals a couple times a year. This keeps the rubber soft and pliable. The rubber has a tendency to harden and deteriorate with time. When that starts, you'll start seeing it lose it's sealing ability. Don't get any of the lubricant on the slide mechanisms, though - they need to stay clean and dry.
2014 Thor Tuscany XTE 40GQ
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #5

THOR #631
Thank you, Ed and Becky. Even though it's only 1 year old, it's never too early to start doing preventative maintenance. Do you recommend any particular product?
John
Athens, GA
Old 02-08-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
303 Aerospace Protectant 32oz : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 02-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #7

Model: Rushmore Monticello
State: Ohio