Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #11100
Water pump wiring

My water pump is not working on my new THOR ACE (it never has since I took possession) (I know I should have checked before I took possession, but I didn't and I cant change that now). The light on the panel illuminates but the pump is silent and of course there is no water flowing. I tested the wires coming into the water pump and they are dead, no power!! My water pump is in one of the drivers side bays, same as the sani-flush and external shower head. I have an appointment to get it fixed but not till August and I would really like to have it working before then. My question is: Does anyone know how these pumps are wired?? Does the hot DC wire run through the panel to the pump or does the panel switch trigger a relay of some sort? Looks like there are multiple low voltage relays (not sure but I think they are relays) in the wiring bay under the bed.

HatrackRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
State: Michigan
THOR #11442
Did you pull the monitor panel and look for a disconnected wire?
Old 07-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #3

THOR #11100
yep,one of the first things I did. Ill do it again though to double check.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Power should come from one of the fuses in the DC distribution panel. That should feed the pump switch and maybe the light. Using a volt meter I would check both sides of the pump switch as the switch could be bad. Sometimes there may be a fuse between the switch and pump.
The negative or ground side of the pump should go back to a common ground buss.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
On my 2013 ACE 30.1 there are three small relays co-located with each other and mounted under the bed. One relay I think is for the water pump; one for the awning and I believe the other one is for the slide(s) ignition lockout (guessing at that last one). I have been lucky enough not to have many problems (knock on wood) with this coach to date, so never had to actually troubleshoot these three relays. So while I am not familiar with your coach build, I would check your DC fuse panel for the water pump fuse first (verify it is good). I would bet there is probably an associated pump relay (mounted somewhere) which in turn powers the pump motor when the pump switch is on and water pressure calls for the pump to start.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #6

THOR #2631
Just a followup with a picture of the three relays under the bed in my coach with a snippet of the relay designations from a Thor electrical diagram for my 2013 ACE.....hope it comes through OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Three Relays.jpg
Views:	1157
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	11219  
Old 07-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #7

THOR #11100
Wow very helpful, thx. I called THOR and asked for the wiring diagrams but they wouldn't send them to me. How did you get them??
Old 07-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatrackRV View Post
Wow very helpful, thx. I called THOR and asked for the wiring diagrams but they wouldn't send them to me. How did you get them??
Who at Thor did you call? Most of us got the wiring diagrams by asking Thor for them.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #9

THOR #11100
Dont remember the persons name, just called customer service I think??
Old 07-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #10

THOR #2631
I also just called Thor but that was in 2013 (coach built in 2012; purchased Fall 2012) so be persistent or try the tech support people. I actually don't find the diagrams they typically send out particularly useful to be honest but sometimes there is information on the diagrams that can help with locations or assignments. I am also not sure if the relay assignments on the JPEG that I enclosed are in that order; they might be scrambled.....never had to troubleshoot them......yet.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #11

THOR #11100
Its already great information, looks like the wall switch triggers the relay rather than direct hot wiring to the pump. its a place to go next :-). Thx!!!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:32 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Email Thor with your coach model and serial number. They will verify you are a real owner...not a competitor...and send you all the drawings you wish. They told me a while back they don't send stuff out based on a phone call.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #13
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
THOR #11442
Ask for Ron Baker, he's a CSR at Thor. He sent me my ACE 32.1 drawings.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #14

THOR #11100
Well Javelin, your diagram did the trick. Here's what I discovered today. The water pump works just fine and the water flows when I jump the power leads on the relay. Good news, all i have to do is install a switch temporarily and I can control the water pump until I can get it fixed properly. The problem is in the wiring from the panel to the relay solenoid. Its likely not the relay itself as I switched it out with an identical one in a different circuit and it still didn't work. It must be a break in a wire from the panel to the rely, strange though as the panel LED still lights up, hmmmmm. Sooooo, thanx so much for the diagram, it led me down the path to understanding the problem, even though I couldn't fix it, I at least have a temporary work around!!!!
Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #15

THOR #2631
Hi, glad the diagram helped a bit. So it’s not the relay but either the relay coil is not getting 12v from the switch or not getting a ground. My coach has a separate LED for the pump switch (not one unit) so I would assume if your coach is similar that when the switch is on, 12v is applied to the LED and should also be applied to the water pump relay coil. Was a voltmeter check done at the relay coil for both 12v and a ground? If you have an open or cut 12v feeder wire....... that could be a fuse waiting to blow. Perhaps as a previous poster suggested.....check the back of the switch to see if you have switched power there (maybe the LED and relay feeder are separate pins on the one switch and the relay switch portion is bad). I know it’s a rats nest behind the control panel when I upgraded my thermostat a few years back. It will be interesting to see what you find out; at least you have a work around in the mean time.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:36 AM   #16

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Funny thing is I am having he exact same problem on my freedom elite 30fe. I curious is there a way to test the relays? I have one that appears to be corroded. I can’t find any fuses and it just appears that the wires from the pump go directly to the switch on the panel
Old 07-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #17

THOR #11100
The relays are cheap ($6-12) you might wanna just buy a replacement and see if it solves the problem. On my coach, the wires from the pump go directly to the relay. Jumping the relay posts makes the pump run and pulling the 15 amp automotive fuse from the panel stops the pump from functioning so it all seems to be wired correctly. I am struggling a bit to figure out how the panel is wired to the lower amperage solenoid side of the relay however. The pump light on the panel is also wired to the 15 amp fuse but I have not yet been able to find the problem as to why the panel switch (which I tested with a meter and is working properly) will not activate the relay. I'm gonna install a temporary switch so I can turn the water pump on and off until I can get my coach to Elkhardt Indiana for a proper repair.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #18

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Do you know if there is a replacemt brand of relay? I can only find this NTE brand on the internet not at any of the local places in town
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D8E54551-BC4A-4F1B-A66F-989E62F9F022.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	11264   Click image for larger version

Name:	25264F28-F58A-4CD4-A6A3-48858371785D.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	11265  

Old 07-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #19

THOR #2631
This is my version of a very simple pump schematic. The LED would have a resistor in series (not shown) to limit the LED current. Excuse the crappy drawing package I had to use. Note this is not necessarily what is even in my coach but would be a simple control circuit for a water pump.
Also a utube link to how to test a relay.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #20

THOR #2631
Trying to post the "simple" pump circuit again......converting drawings and posting can be a PIA. Hope it works this time. Note again this may not be what is actually in our coaches but is a simple facsimile.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Simple Pump Circuit.jpg
Views:	2351
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	11266