Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2022, 10:26 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Let's face the truth: NONE of these things handle any better than a 300 pound hooker in a featherbed.
Slow down and take your time. You'll never notice that it's there...
That's something you heard from a friend... right Bob?

And I ONLY carry 40 gallons of fresh water... and not a drop more... otherwise the tank overflows.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:03 AM   #22

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Checked OCCC - Bob's 300 # Hooker and the feather bed could be a go with 1/2 tank fresh water.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:09 AM   #23

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
Checked OCCC - Bob's 300 # Hooker and the feather bed could be a go with 1/2 tank fresh water.
That feather bed is key... memory foam would bust the weight limit.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:52 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
That feather bed is key... memory foam would bust the weight limit.
You know, I got to thinking maybe if they were to build these RVs on Truck Chassis these concerns would not persist? and to really bring it home; as a bonus why don't they make them provide a yellow sticker near the driver seat that tells you the ADDITIONAL Occupancy Cargo Carrying Capacity that is Pre- calculated based on your water tank being filled 100% with water?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:09 AM   #25

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Let's face the truth: NONE of these things handle any better than a 300 pound hooker in a featherbed.
Slow down and take your time. You'll never notice that it's there...

we have a winner for a great analogy

we generally run empty from the start of each day with the black and grey tanks
if its a long day ahead or questionable water at the next location, i tend to run 1/2 water which is a tad over 50 gallons, if not then about a 1/3 rd on water , we also carry a case of bottled water just in case

when we camp close to the house at our favorite state park
i come home with a full bag of water and 1/3 in the two waste tanks
this way the 1/3 sloshes and helps to clean the gunk out

the 108 gallons of fresh water is pumped out to the BIG rain barrel to use to water the plants because out water at home is more money than a 300 lb hooker dancing with feathers
Old 03-17-2022, 03:24 AM   #26

THOR #16721
We are on municipal water, but the original well is still functioning. I replaced the tank and had a new pump dropped in last year. It's unfiltered, and I only use it for garden watering (I love my sweet corn). Our municipal water isn't cheap, but I figure it would cost a substantial amount to soften/filter the "free" well water for RV use...
Old 03-17-2022, 08:45 AM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
For me, if we're 'wildcamping' then, of course, fresh water tank is full, but when using campsites, its about a third full for travel. Waste tanks are always emptied before travel, she drives pretty much the same full or empty, so, don't worry......
Old 03-17-2022, 01:40 PM   #28

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
No issues with handling with, or without, water on board. Same goes for fuel.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:53 PM   #29

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
We have been driving a MH of one sort or another since the 90's. In all that time I never worried about water weight, Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, suspension upgrades etc. etc. Heck I never had a coach weighed before I joined this site. We just loaded up, filled up, checked the tire pressure and boogied.

They say ignorance is bliss. I suppose it is.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:24 PM   #30

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
We have been driving a MH of one sort or another since the 90's. In all that time I never worried about water weight, Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, suspension upgrades etc. etc. Heck I never had a coach weighed before I joined this site. We just loaded up, filled up, checked the tire pressure and boogied.

They say ignorance is bliss. I suppose it is.
Relatedely:
Paranoia will destroy ya.
(Bob, insert song here)

I haven't read much tire pressure 1psi adjustment fluff since I explained how the sun on one side changes the temp. by 10 or 15° and the pressure by about the same from the shady side as you drive.

We've pretty much debunked the:
6v batteries are superior

Five star does miracles

Silliness of aftermarket air
cleaners adding .6hp at 6,500rpm on an engine stand.

Rv toilet paper is worth buying.

I have a perfectly centered steering wheel. (The crown in the road will never let your steering wheel be prefect centered at all times,)

Jeeps are gods, not to be questioned.

There is real need to have your rv towed to the nearest rv dealer for an oil change if you'll go over 3,000 miles while enroute.(No matter what your dad said, ford hasn't recommneded 3,000 mile oil changes since 1962 on some of their dinosaur multiple carburetor cars.)

Now if we can get this 1/3rd tank saves real world, measurable to the point of being an asset, guff sent to the halls of inanity,...

Some of you really confuse newbs and instigate what will become their odd rituals based on nothing,

I've asked many times, we've asked many times, logic dictates:
Why 1/3rd of a tank since you can't post the real world advantage/cost savings to such? Why would anyone follow the path you follow without advantage to them being addressed?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #31

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Relatedely:
(Bob, insert song here)

I haven't read much tire pressure 1psi adjustment fluff since I explained how the sun on one side changes the temp. by 10 or 15° and the pressure by about the same from the shady side as you drive.

Five star does miracles

I have a perfectly centered steering wheel. (The crown in the road will never let your steering wheel be prefect centered at all times,)

There is real need to have your rv towed to the nearest rv dealer for an oil change if you'll go over 3,000 miles while enroute.(No matter what your dad said, ford hasn't recommneded 3,000 mile oil changes since 1962 on some of their dinosaur multiple carburetor cars.)

Now if we can get this 1/3rd tank saves real world, measurable to the point of being an asset, guff sent to the halls of inanity,...

Some of you really confuse newbs and instigate what will become their odd rituals based on nothing,

Why 1/3rd of a tank since you can't post the real world advantage/cost savings to such? Why would anyone follow the path you follow without advantage to them being addressed?
Duck, you are truly one of a kind, and that is a good thing in many ways
Always interesting to read your take on anything
Old 03-19-2022, 03:39 PM   #32

State: Florida
THOR #15410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallvegasdad View Post
New to this - do you typically try to keep water levels low while driving, do they slosh around or affect driving handling if the are too full?
i always carry full fresh water and empty waste tanks. Sometimes you may need water on the road,and sometimes campground pumps break down,resulting in no water,boil water notice.
Old 03-19-2022, 04:14 PM   #33

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Relatedely:
(Bob, insert song here)

Five star does miracles

Duck,

You make a really strong and compelling argument, but respectfully; I am inclined to agree 300% with the position that says to put in 1/3 tank before trip. I actually do it 3 times before every trip and never had a problem
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:45 PM   #34

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Duck,

You make a really strong and compelling argument, but respectfully; I am inclined to agree 300% with the position that says to put in 1/3 tank before trip. I actually do it 3 times before every trip and never had a problem
Now were getting somewhere!