Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
Water trickles while on water pump

We’re camping in our 2017 Axis 24.1 and the water pump is giving us problems. On city water we’re fine, but if we try using the water pump (while disconnected from city), the faucets will trickle water and barely any will go in the toilet. I checked the filter and cleaned out a little plastic debris, but not much. Also checked all the flex hose connections and they’re all clear and tight. The pump comes on and runs, but not much pressure at all. Tank has plenty of water. What else can I check?

Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Well I dont know for sure. But I think some of the pumps have a pressure adjustment on the top of it (little set screw on top). Look for "4 season" on you tube - seems like that guy talked about this adjustment.... perhaps your is turned down all the way.

Or the water pump is going out (or has something wrapped around the impeller preventing a good pump)?

I was going to tell you to check that filter screen but it looks like you did already. Perhaps you have a ton of debris in the feed line/tank inlet blocking it? Can you blow air in feed line into fresh water tank?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:06 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Since you have cleaned the water filter on the low pressure side of the water pump, you should also ensure there is no air leaking into that side of the water pump also. It is not unusual to have a bad seal on the filter cap or a hidden crack in the filter cap or body after the cleaning procedure. Overtightening the cap can result in having to buy a new filter off Amazon or eBay. They are cheap if that is your problem.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: if we can safely assume that you did get the filter clean...
1. Start looking for air leaks
2. While checking for leaks: look for kinks in the hose someplace downstream from your pump
3. If it's not that obvious or simple: take another look at the
pump, and how it is functioning.

Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:43 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Is the valve between the tank and the pump fully open?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:03 AM   #6

THOR #6523
Thanks for the replies. I don’t see any way to adjust pressure on the pump. Don’t see any kinks in the hoses or visible cracks. Is there a particular way to check for air leaks? I’ll look closer tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:33 AM   #7

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
Water

My bus had a lift up valve for draining water near the pump. Sometimes the ring on top (looks like a key ring) would catch and the valve did not fully seat. This let the pump suck in air and caused little to no water flow.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #8

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I had posted this water pump trouble shooting hyperlink in another post recently. It is a good starting reference. Although it simplifies the solutions without much explanation, it is helpful to see some typical problems and the things to try to fix them.

https://www.smithsrvcentre.com/page/...the-water-pump
Old 09-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
You mentioned you checked the filter. Did you also check the small filter screen on the inlet side of the pump. If not simply unscrew, remove the screen, clean out and reinstall.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #10

THOR #6523
We’ll be stationary for a few days now and I’ll do some more checking now that I know more about what to check. Thanks for the tips.👍🏻
Old 10-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck; please let us know what you find!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #12

State: Kentucky
THOR #9694
We have had the same issues with our 2017 Axis 24.1. Check my post "water pressure issues - solved. Plastic shavings clogged our water line at the tank side of the white flexible hose. Maybe that is causing your problems too.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #13

THOR #6523
Just getting a chance to update this post. When I initially cleaned the filter, removing small bits of plastic shavings, and checked the lines it didn’t appear to make a difference in performance, but after trying the water pump a few more times during the trip it did improve and was working pretty well. Now that we’re home I’ll use my compressor to blow out the lines.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #14

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
I had the same problem when we bought our Thor back in March, it turned out to be the inlet screen/filter that screwed onto the pump had a crack in and was sucking air,so I just removed the screen and hooke line from tank directly to tank and it works great now.

I also forgot about replacing the screen until I saw this post.