Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2017, 10:08 PM   #1
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We Dropped Ours Off Today...

After compiling a 25 item "Punch-List": I know that's it's called a punch-list because you want to punch the salesman in the mouth...
So we took our Outlaw back to Camping World (Kingston) today, so that they could tackle our list, winterize the rig, and add some "goodies" to it for us.
(A couple of vent covers, and a sewer hose caddy)

My question: How large does the punch-list have to be; before you start getting worried?
We had two major items: no hot water, and the refrigerator would never cool down...
Everything else was minor, but annoying...

Should a list of this size be the norm??

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
LOL, I love your description of punch list in regard to salesman. I have felt the same many times. Best of luck. Remember, keep hands in pockets, for more than one reason when it comes to C.W.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:36 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
With the water heater it can be something as simple as an igniter or a basic electric component. The fridge is another story. I am glad we have a residential fridge as they are simpler and more common (with the drawback of not running on either propane or 12v.) Absorption fridges have a direct vent to the outside and can be affected by weather and direct sunlight, among many other factors.

Best of luck and hope your list gets completed successfully!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:44 AM   #4

State: California
THOR #8323
When we dropped our new unit off at the dealership 6 weeks ago we had a punch list with 36 items on it. They will have it for another week before it’s supposed to be completed.

Good luck with yours
Old 10-29-2017, 03:55 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Mike View Post
When we dropped our new unit off at the dealership 6 weeks ago we had a punch list with 36 items on it. They will have it for another week before it’s supposed to be completed.

Good luck with yours
Hey Mike, which model do you have? We had a punch list when we first bought ours. Anything major on the list?
Old 10-29-2017, 04:03 AM   #6

THOR #8323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
Hey Mike, which model do you have? We had a punch list when we first bought ours. Anything major on the list?

We have a 2017 Miramar. Most of the problems were cosmetic inside and out. The biggest issue was a major water leak that the dealership was able to trace back to a faulty compression joint coming from the ice maker. Another cosmetic issue that has turned into a major repair was a puncture hole in the headliner just below the drop down bunk bed. They dealership plans on replacing the entire bed. That will take a while
Old 10-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
From what I read on this forum & every other rv forum regarding CWs service departments, don't make any reservations til about June/July. Also 25 items, 23 will be fixed wrong or worse than when you brought it to them.
The 1st time you hear "waiting on authorization" or "waiting on parts" call Thor to confirm they've been contacted by your dealer, "waiting" is code for "we haven't done anything yet".
I'm being sarcastic, but CWs service centers have a very poor track record, hopefully yours will go smoothly.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
Quote:
We have a 2017 Miramar. Most of the problems were cosmetic inside and out. The biggest issue was a major water leak that the dealership was able to trace back to a faulty compression joint coming from the ice maker. Another cosmetic issue that has turned into a major repair was a puncture hole in the headliner just below the drop down bunk bed. They dealership plans on replacing the entire bed. That will take a while
We have a 2017 Miramar 34.4. Same issue with the ice maker. It damaged the cabinet the fridge sits in pretty bad and as a result they replaced the cabinet. Took awhile fighting with Thor, but they made it happen.

I hope your expeience is smooth and quick.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
I’m wondering if Thor got a bad batch from Whirlpool last year. Our 2017 Challenger came with a residential refrigerator that had two non-operating fans. So the freezer got cold, but the fridge did not and it wouldn’t make ice.

Thor referred me to Whirlpool, who sent a tech from a local appliance repair shop out. I had to remove the fridge, as they said they won’t do it because of liability (scratching the cabinet or whatever).

The tech said it’s rare for a fan to fail, and he’s never heard of both failing, but that’s what we had. I’ve read a number of other posts from owners of new rigs that have faulty refrigerators.

Thor also failed to properly mount our microwave (oh the noise it made on the road!) and did not connect the shower drain (first shower I took had the water runnng down into the basement).

But everything seems to be fixed, corrected or replaced now and we are going out to NASCAR for a week soon. That’s going to be the real test!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:

Good luck with yours
I thought that our list was too long: the best of luck with yours!
Old 11-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Quantum
THOR #9015
Sounds Normal Based on Our Experience

We have a similar situation on our 2017 Quantum. Our dealer list was quite long - 20 items or so. And I fixed SEVERAL items myself before we took it in for those remaining items. We have 2 major issues (hot water consistency and poorly plumbed fresh water tank) and the rest are less critical but necessary repairs never the less. Hopefully more major issues do not surface after we get it back.

To answer your question, based on our experience and what I read on this forum I think your situation is not unusual. Thor quality assurance and workmanship are both very poor in my experience and based on what I read in this forum.

My only hope for both of us is that we can get our issues ironed out in the warranty period and things smooth out after that.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I DID get an email from the Service Manager this morning... They haven't gotten it in the shop yet; but HOPE to the next week!

Old 11-04-2017, 10:26 PM   #13

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I think in reality Thor is taking advantage of their dealers, using them for the final QC. In the process the dealers are passing it on to us. I would rather have fewer issues but I am enjoying the heck out of this thing while I work the bugs out. My check list was under 10 items.

I have wondered if folks that purchase outside their area are getting good service. I have always thought it would be ideal to pick up an RV at the factory, but in that case who do you take the punch list to for that first year.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
We dropped ours off October 2nd, with a punch list of about 10 to 12 fairly minor final warrantee items, plus some major component additions, like a second AC, a permanently installed surge protector, and an automatic leveling system. Its supposed to be done and ready for pickup next Tuesday. There have been so many delays, I can only hope its true.
I agree Thor and other manufactures are using their dealer network to essentially complete and correct assembly deficiencies, which is why dealers are all so swamped. Unfortunately, financially this method of inexpensive labor assembly pencils out best for manufactures.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
We dropped ours off October 2nd, with a punch list of about 10 to 12 fairly minor final warrantee items, plus some major component additions, like a second AC, a permanently installed surge protector, and an automatic leveling system. Its supposed to be done and ready for pickup next Tuesday. There have been so many delays, I can only hope its true.
I agree Thor and other manufactures are using their dealer network to essentially complete and correct assembly deficiencies, which is why dealers are all so swamped. Unfortunately, financially this method of inexpensive labor assembly pencils out best for manufactures.
Good luck! I hope that they have it ready for you, with all systems "GO"!
Old 11-05-2017, 12:00 AM   #16

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #8264
We purchased our Windsport 29M at CW Kingston mid July. I am definately not a fan of CW.You did the right thing by waiting until the end of the season for your repairs. We returned ours the end of August telling them we had an end of Sept trip planned. Aaron new this and did not see a problem which he now denies. The work order showed the repairs out side of having Safe-T-Steer installed and alignment done took a total of eight hours. They kept our RV for two months thus missing our trip. CW installed the Safe-T-Steer incorrectly and returned it to the alignment shop for them to correct the problem. Aaron blamed it on Albany Ave Garage in Kingston, but I spoke to them and they explained that CW did not follow the proper procedure for adjustment. When we picked up our RV all repairs still were not done. On the bright side there is a tech there named Alan. Ask for him when you pick up yours. He spent the entire day with us fixing any remaining problems and teaching me how to winterize.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #6635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
After compiling a 25 item "Punch-List": I know that's it's called a punch-list because you want to punch the salesman in the mouth...
So we took our Outlaw back to Camping World (Kingston) today, so that they could tackle our list, winterize the rig, and add some "goodies" to it for us.
(A couple of vent covers, and a sewer hose caddy)

My question: How large does the punch-list have to be; before you start getting worried?
We had two major items: no hot water, and the refrigerator would never cool down...
Everything else was minor, but annoying...

Should a list of this size be the norm??
These coaches are complicated machines with lots of pumps, motors, and components. It should be expected to have some issues - is 25 too many? Probably not, if you can get them repaired and that be it. I recommend building a log, keeping track of all maintenance items, time in the shop, outcomes, etc. Get a copy of all warranty maintenance from CW. I had tons of problems with my new Tuscany, and had to resort to extreme measures to get it right. It took a full year, but I finally have a coach that is 100% reliable. The better your records, the better off you will be if you continue to have problems and have to take it to the next level.
My experience with CW was not good - it took me 6 months to figure out they did not have the expertise to repair much. There are two there options you might explore: you can work with Thor Tech support team to have a Thor tech work on your coach, or get authorization to have your coach repaired at a facility of your choosing (if they are on Thor's list). You pay the service facility for repairs and Thor reimburses you. I used both options successfully with much less frustration and downtime.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #18

THOR #8264
I agree with your approach to get authorization from Thor and take it to a repair facility of choice. I personally will never go back to CW. Two month wait for 8hrs of repair is not acceptable. They basically did nothing until I told them I was coming for our RV on a specific date. It turns out after almost 2 months they didn't work on our RV until two days prior to our deadline, with the exception of an incorrect Safe-T-Steer install and two trips for alignment.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #19

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I dont agree with taking to an autorized repair shop unless it is understood be all three parties that the repair shop will accept payment directly from the manufacturer.

Three years ago our furnace went out on our then 6 month old Rockwood fifth wheel. The dealer was three mountain ranges away so I asked Suburban if they would accept repairs from a repair shop where I stored my FW. They agreed, I was to pay up front and they would reimburse me.

The repairs were made. A circuit board had failed. Total bill $181.00. Suburban would only refund $110.00 saying the 1.25 hrs the repair shop charged was more than they would pay. $71 bucks didn't break me and I was glad to have heat back in the 5er.

But, this experience sure made me leary of paying forward for warentee work.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #20

THOR #8264
For me it would be well worth $71 to of had my repair done expeditiously instead of returning it to CW even if it was close.