Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2022, 11:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: Florida
THOR #14489
What is this?

This is on the top of my 2019 Chateau. The small black square, on the roof, near the front of my awning. Approx size 1/2 " high 2 " Sq. Held down with a plate and 4 screws. What is it?
I tried to upload a Pic, but couldn't.

Macaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Sounds like a GPS antenna?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:09 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Sirius xm antenna?
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:38 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroon View Post
This is on the top of my 2019 Chateau. The small black square, on the roof, near the front of my awning. Approx size 1/2 " high 2 " Sq. Held down with a plate and 4 screws. What is it?
Ah man, I wanna see

Click on FAQ on brown bar and type ATTACHMENTS" in FAQ search box.

You should get the below link
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/fa...l&titlesonly=0

It is very easy once you have done it once
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:36 AM   #5

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Sirius xm antenna?
We have the same and it is the Sirius Radio antenna.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:46 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
We have the same and it is the Sirius Radio antenna.
Never used Sirius and I am sure it is on the Pioneer radio, but never seen anything like that? Is Sirius antenna combined with AM/FM antenna? Of course I would just settle for a better AM/FM Antenna, both work but range seem limited to me versus the SUV, they always cite the roof interference as to the reason?

So to get around I use my phone as radio when traveling from afar using WiFi from T Mobile when no suitable local radio is found

All of this to learn if I can get a better low profile AM/FM antenna that works better range wise than my existing OEM 12" - 15" tall black rubber antenna, that I call a motorcycle antenna?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-19-2022, 03:13 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Okay dk... sounds like you are "Sirius' about your radio listening... but Siriusly, I just added extra lap sealant around a roof protrusion I'll never use...
Old 11-19-2022, 03:41 AM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Okay dk... sounds like you are "Sirius' about your radio listening... but Siriusly, I just added extra lap sealant around a roof protrusion I'll never use...
My OEM radio is a Pioneer; so I have to be sirius about radio. I just get concerned with unknown small black plates 2" square & 1/2" thick mounted down with 4 screws Whatever it is, don't think it will just fly off the roof.

I use manus bond for anything that looks like a crack in my sealant on roof. One day, I guess I will need to have it all removed and start with new sealant around the perimeter.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:12 AM   #9

THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Never used Sirius and I am sure it is on the Pioneer radio, but never seen anything like that? Is Sirius antenna combined with AM/FM antenna? Of course I would just settle for a better AM/FM Antenna, both work but range seem limited to me versus the SUV, they always cite the roof interference as to the reason?

So to get around I use my phone as radio when traveling from afar using WiFi from T Mobile when no suitable local radio is found

All of this to learn if I can get a better low profile AM/FM antenna that works better range wise than my existing OEM 12" - 15" tall black rubber antenna, that I call a motorcycle antenna?
This is the subject of this thread:
https://tinyurl.com/2zvvn9ly

If you have a Sirius ready radio and the RV manufacturer installed the Sirius receiver module they would have installed this small antenna on your roof. Even if your radio is Sirius ready, meaning it has a receptacle on the back where the Sirius radio receiver plugs in, the manufacturer may not have installed the Sirius receiver module and antenna.

We dropped our Sirius subscription because it did not seem worth the monthly cost considering how much time we actually are in the motorhome. As you say you can just Bluetooth your phone to the receiver and listen to Podcasts or what ever.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:34 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
If it is indeed a Sirius XM antenna, a small black square on a metal plate, it’s magnetic. Seal it with Dicor or it will be a potential entry point for water. If you pull it up you’ll see there’s a hole through the roof with a wire .
Old 11-19-2022, 02:50 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:

If you have a Sirius ready radio and the RV manufacturer installed the Sirius receiver module they would have installed this small antenna on your roof. Even if your radio is Sirius ready, meaning it has a receptacle on the back where the Sirius radio receiver plugs in, the manufacturer may not have installed the Sirius receiver module and antenna.

We dropped our Sirius subscription because it did not seem worth the monthly cost considering how much time we actually are in the motorhome. As you say you can just Bluetooth your phone to the receiver and listen to Podcasts or what ever.
Clear, I certainly don't have that (mounted on roof anyway). It seems to be sirius radio only, so I will keep on using my internet radio from T Mobile black box.

Thanks for link. I need pictures
Old 11-19-2022, 02:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

If this is what the OP saw:

Wouldn't it have been obvious what it was and hence, no reason for this thread?

But since the OP has not been back to the Forum since the minute he posted his question we just don't know if that is the subject of this thread.

It doesn't really seem to match the description of " The small black square, on the roof, near the front of my awning. Approx size 1/2 " high 2 " Sq. Held down with a plate and 4 screws."
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:51 PM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
If this is what the OP saw:

Wouldn't it have been obvious what it was and hence, no reason for this thread?

But since the OP has not been back to the Forum since the minute he posted his question we just don't know if that is the subject of this thread.

It doesn't really seem to match the description of " The small black square, on the roof, near the front of my awning. Approx size 1/2 " high 2 " Sq. Held down with a plate and 4 screws."
Ace, his description matches a Sirius XM antenna perfectly. He probably has the same Axxera pos I have that has Sirius built in. Hence the little magnetic box on a metal plate with 4 screws. But, alas. I give up.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:27 PM   #14

THOR #21926
Some XM radio antennas are third party and don't have the Sirius logo on them. Thor is not known for installing quality components and most likely installed a non Sirius trademarked antenna. They put a cheap aftermarket keypod system in our E450 instead of the Ford OEM stuff.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:05 PM   #15

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroon View Post
The one on my roof is the bracket for the solar panel!