Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Keep in mind with a water leak the problem can be anywhere along the roof line. What seems like a slide seal leak could be an cap to roof seal failure that you can't see unless you're on your hands and knees. Unfortunately for the OP both mobile techs did know that there are alternatives to just adding addition sealant in the area that the leak might be and hoping the problem is now corrected. A bit like throwing darts blindfolded and the cost of missing the dart board can be painful.

Next time find a service center that has a Sealtech leak tester. I have seven near by including a mobile tester that will do a test for about $150 last time I checked a few years ago. Haven't had a need as yet but something I keep at the ready if the day ever comes.

https://rvleaks.com/
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sealtech

The unfortunate part of this thread is the OP could have bought a Sealtech blower for 1/2 the cost of the repairs.

For anyone who stores their coach off site you need to check on it at least every month. Between leaks, thieves, urban outdoor people, animals and the dozen other potential problems that left unchecked will quickly destroy any rig be it a pop up or a 45' custom conversion.

X2. Check it often. I try to visit mine once a week and drive it monthly while I’m exercising the generator.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
X2. Check it often. I try to visit mine once a week and drive it monthly while I’m exercising the generator.
Gee... I exercise mine by turning on the TV, sitting down, and cracking open a Barley-Pop...
You are FAR more ambitious; than I could ever hope to be!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #23

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:

When we use to keep a boat at the Marina, some folks would go years before coming out to their boat!!! One guy two slips down from us had his boat actually sink because the bottom paint was gone. He had one of those older wood boats

Another guy would come out maybe once year, but only fish. Never EVER saw him start or take the boat out on the water He was there before we got there and after we left; which was 14 years for us.

I am so thankful we are able to keep our RV at home. As long as I own a RV, I don't think I will ever use one of those outdoor storage unless it is very close to home or temporary.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #24

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Keep in mind with a water leak the problem can be anywhere along the roof line. What seems like a slide seal leak could be an cap to roof seal failure that you can't see unless you're on your hands and knees. Unfortunately for the OP both mobile techs did know that there are alternatives to just adding addition sealant in the area that the leak might be and hoping the problem is now corrected. A bit like throwing darts blindfolded and the cost of missing the dart board can be painful.

Next time find a service center that has a Sealtech leak tester. I have seven near by including a mobile tester that will do a test for about $150 last time I checked a few years ago. Haven't had a need as yet but something I keep at the ready if the day ever comes.

https://rvleaks.com/
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sealtech

The unfortunate part of this thread is the OP could have bought a Sealtech blower for 1/2 the cost of the repairs.

For anyone who stores their coach off site you need to check on it at least every month. Between leaks, thieves, urban outdoor people, animals and the dozen other potential problems that left unchecked will quickly destroy any rig be it a pop up or a 45' custom conversion.
OP may have his hands full and not able to get back, because a lot of the advise is too late for him, but I will say this is very good information

I had no idea about this technology, I almost broke my monitor trying to get the CW guy to quit talking and show how the machine works

What I have learned is that the 2 repair companies for OP could not have known what they were doing if they were simply looking for an obvious visual leak. Poor, little, innocent, Thor Motor Coach corporation is once again getting bashed To me this is the type of stuff you spend your money on versus relying on $5k - $7k extended warranty to fix stuff that was not properly maintained.

I will ask my dealer about this technology, or if they do something similar.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-15-2021, 09:38 PM   #25

THOR #6826
I’d like to know more....I’ve heard of this but always been skeptical. Outside water is not pressurized. Depending on how much pressure the $4,000 air pump puts on the seals it might just overpower them. Would a RV repair company that makes its money repairing leaks have any incentive to MAKE leaks? My inclination is to inspect frequently and fix it IF there’s water intrusion.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:20 PM   #26

THOR #13058
Quote:
I’d like to know more....I’ve heard of this but always been skeptical. Outside water is not pressurized. Depending on how much pressure the $4,000 air pump puts on the seals it might just overpower them. Would a RV repair company that makes its money repairing leaks have any incentive to MAKE leaks? My inclination is to inspect frequently and fix it IF there’s water intrusion.
Excellent point. Now that I think about it; my Mfg manual and the Roof Mfg manual all say to NOT use a pressure washer on the RV. Of course while at some dealerships; they were using high pressure washer service companies to come in and wash all of the RVs

Despite my temptation, I have never use my pressure washer on my RV. Make you wonder if leak was the result of some degradation that may have been sourced to a dealer's on lot cleaning, or after sale cleaning by OP?
Old 01-15-2021, 11:25 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I use my pressure washer on the rig ...
But I set the spray pattern to the widest possible pattern.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:33 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I use my pressure washer on the rig ...
But I set the spray pattern to the widest possible pattern.
ok, go park it outside in Seattle for 6 months, I bet you may start to bash Tiffin too

My RV is never really that dirty; so I don't know why high pressure is really needed? I use regular water hose and jet spray setting. You really only need to rinse loose dirt, wash, and rinse off soap. No chance of breaking a seal.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:43 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. Really?
Old 01-20-2021, 08:21 PM   #30

Model: Palazzo
State: Alaska
THOR #20592
THOR slide issue

Along with the previous posters, I've got a big slide problem that is out of control. After all the problems THOR has had with their 20ft slide on the older Palazzo's(mine is a 2014) mine is back in the shop for the three rail replacement kit that THOR came out with. Guess what. They sent the same 2 slide replacement and now claim there is no three rail replacement kit, but all their new units have it!!!!

I'll have $5000 in this problem now and will still have the same issue where the slide comes in and tilts down to hit the floor and hang up.

Anyone else had this problem, and what was the cure. I'm sure I will have the same problem.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:25 PM   #31

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parne View Post
Along with the previous posters, I've got a big slide problem that is out of control. After all the problems THOR has had with their 20ft slide on the older Palazzo's(mine is a 2014) mine is back in the shop for the three rail replacement kit that THOR came out with. Guess what. They sent the same 2 slide replacement and now claim there is no three rail replacement kit, but all their new units have it!!!!

I'll have $5000 in this problem now and will still have the same issue where the slide comes in and tilts down to hit the floor and hang up.

Anyone else had this problem, and what was the cure. I'm sure I will have the same problem.
I see you are from Alaska.... so having the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa, IN handle your repair is unlikely.... unless you are up for a roadtrip. They would be the only ones I would trust fixing this type of problem.

I would contact Lippert. They handle most , if not all, of the slide parts. They may be able to provide what is necessary to retrofit your slide to the 3 Trax system. I would also see if you could find a good RV resporation place in your area.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:26 PM   #32

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Ohio
THOR #4541
Quote:
I use mine as a man cave while in storage. A friend and I go out there at least every 2 weeks and sip on a little bourbon while I exercise the generator.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:35 PM   #33

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprun View Post
I use mine as a man cave while in storage. A friend and I go out there at least every 2 weeks and sip on a little bourbon while I exercise the generator.

I like your plan better than mine!
Old 01-21-2021, 01:24 AM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Get a few more guys, and a card game might break out...

Go fish!!