Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22b
State: New York
THOR #6388
roof trim leak

I have a 2018 Chateau 22b that leaks from the trim on the front nose of the cabin. The unit is parked on a slight decline , front end down. When I level the RV to prepare for a trip, about 1/2 to 1 gallon of water exits the weep hole in the plastic trim on the front nose of the cabin right above the steering wheel. I can't tell if the channel in the trim is holding water or if it's daylighting from inside the fiberglass. I removed all the cushions from the front bunk over the cab and couldn't see any signs of holding water inside the cabin. I couoldn't find any holes in the roofing to allow water inside to then daylight when the slope of the RV changes. Really is baffling where the water is accumulating, inside the trim or inside the fiberglass? Any thoughts on how to diagnosis?

Old 10-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
If the water is brown, you have a leak that is damaging the wood core somewhere. I had the same problem with my 2015 Four Winds. Look very closely at the seams edges where the outside trim wraps around. I know, you are talking about the plastic trim that runs across under the overhang above the hood, but look to those seams for any possible separation of the fiberglass from the aluminum trim. Also, take a single sheet of paper towel on the inside cab over bunk at the side wall to roof joint. Slide the towel up with the edge as close to the joint as possible. Any moisture will be wicked into the towel and give you a place to look.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #3

Model: Chateau
State: British Columbia
THOR #12743
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pirate View Post
I have a 2018 Chateau 22b that leaks from the trim on the front nose of the cabin. The unit is parked on a slight decline , front end down. When I level the RV to prepare for a trip, about 1/2 to 1 gallon of water exits the weep hole in the plastic trim on the front nose of the cabin right above the steering wheel. I can't tell if the channel in the trim is holding water or if it's daylighting from inside the fiberglass. I removed all the cushions from the front bunk over the cab and couldn't see any signs of holding water inside the cabin. I couoldn't find any holes in the roofing to allow water inside to then daylight when the slope of the RV changes. Really is baffling where the water is accumulating, inside the trim or inside the fiberglass? Any thoughts on how to diagnosis?
I was hoping someone else would chime in as I have the same issue with the same model! Let me know if you find out anything, please, and I'll do the same! Christine
Old 10-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Agree with nosticks...check the side seam above the driver and passenger door. My FE did the same (although nowhere near a gallon. That’s a LOT of water!). In my experience most leaks are not too hard to spot but they often are not where you’d think they “should” be. If you have lots of water behind a panel it will flow unpredictably to the low point. Water can do crippling damage seemingly overnight. I’d spare no effort in getting this fixed. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I had the same problem on my FE took a year and half to trace it down. Ended up having to reseal everything from the cab half way back couldn’t find the cause but that fixed it. There was never any water pooled in the bunk only way you knew there was a leak was from the gallon of water that came from the trim and the mold that was in the bunk.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #6

Model: Chateau
State: British Columbia
THOR #12743
Thanks, everyone! Sounds like a job for my Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure! :-) I did actually tape the front seam on the roof with Eternabond and that seems to have fixed it, but I'll check the side seams over the driver and passenger sides too as you all suggest. I know from my boat that there's rarely just one leak :-(
Thanks again! Christine
Old 04-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #7

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #8596
Same problem

I'm trying to understand how you fixed the problem, because I seem to have the same... Can you send me a picture of the area you repaired?
Mine is a Thor Freedom Elite 29FE and the bunk over the passenger keeps getting wet...

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #8

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Here is what I just went through. http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...24f-16797.html
Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #9

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #8596
Silicone or Geocel Proflex?

Thanks for the link. It is really helpful. My only questions is if I should use silicone or Geocel Proflex. Was told silicone doesn't last long.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:27 PM   #10

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I used ProFlex.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 AM   #11

THOR #6826
It is important to remember that water can move in strange ways. Sometimes the leak on a class C overhead is underneath. Check the side seams like jimbo12 shows and also look at the seal between the roof of the cab and the house above. Look closely at the roof seams on your hands and knees on the roof. Use self leveling RV roof sealant if there is any suspicion of even a hairline crack or gap. If your eyes are not great (like mine!) a second set, attached to a young person can help. (Not implying anything here, just sayin). There’s only so many places it can be but if you keep after it you’ll find it. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:26 AM   #12

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
Use Dicor self leveling RV roof sealant, and Eternabond for larger issues, do not silicone.
Many videos on Youtube on how to apply these products
Old 04-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #13

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
NO SILICONE. Don't even walk within 25' of your motorhome with a tube of silicone in your possession.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #14

Model: 22E
THOR #12119
From the Proflex Geocel Label:
Do not use on extruded polystyrene insulation sheathing (Styrofoam, etc.), TPO, or EPDM [ROOFING].
Old 04-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #15

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
From the Proflex Geocel Label:

Do not use on extruded polystyrene insulation sheathing (Styrofoam, etc.), TPO, or EPDM [ROOFING].

Use that stuff around windows and other sidewall penetrations. Use RV specific self leveling roof sealer on roofs.

Tags
leak, roof, trim