Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2019, 02:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
What gauge wire is used VEGAS/AXIS Batteries

I am getting ready to add two (2) 12v batteries to my existing two (2) 12v batteries in my 2016 VEGAS.

I want to match the cables used to PARRALLEL the existing batteries, but not sure what the existing cable's gauge is.

I am guessing it is 2/0, but any confirmation of that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:28 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #14807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I am getting ready to add two (2) 12v batteries to my existing two (2) 12v batteries in my 2016 VEGAS.

I want to match the cables used to PARRALLEL the existing batteries, but not sure what the existing cable's gauge is.

I am guessing it is 2/0, but any confirmation of that would be greatly appreciated.
I just did a lot of battery work & I used 2/0 welding class cable with 2/0 lugs.
Got the wire, lugs, cutter & crimper on Amazon.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:20 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I wish I had my RV outside (in storage) but when I changed over to my 6 volts it seems like the were either 2.

I know 4 gauge was the largest wire that I could fit in the OEM Converter when I installed my inverter.

Looking at the picture of the batteries below Im thinking 2 g? I would be surprized if they were any larger than 2g.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4777.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	16863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4529.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	16864  

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:06 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

On my coach Thor used number 6 wire (55 amp) from the battery compartment to the power center and from the converter to the battery bank.. The store /use relay is only rated for 55 amps continuous. For the leads to the jack pump and generator start, Thor used number 2 wire and for the 1,000 watt inverter Thor used 0/0 wire. Connections between the two batteries are 0/0 wire and the leads to the 100 amp and 50 amp circuit breakers. Wires need to be sized for the max amperage load on that circuit. 0/2 wire is rated for 200 amps.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #5

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
On my coach Thor used number 6 wire (55 amp) from the battery compartment to the power center and from the converter to the battery bank.. The store /use relay is only rated for 55 amps continuous. For the leads to the jack pump and generator start, Thor used number 2 wire and for the 1,000 watt inverter Thor used 0/0 wire. Connections between the two batteries are 0/0 wire and the leads to the 100 amp and 50 amp circuit breakers. Wires need to be sized for the max amperage load on that circuit. 0/2 wire is rated for 200 amps.
I agree here.
To support present battery system & parallel more, I would use no less than #6.
But the line doing the load needs to be heavier, dependent on what that amperage is to be.

Tags
battery, cable, vegas/axis