Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2016, 01:21 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
What Have Others Done with a small chip in the Windshield?

I was spending the day getting the Vegas all nice, shiney and finishing up on some quick little projects (finally installed the Tornado Black Tank Rinser).

When I worked on RainX for the big windsheild when I found a chip in the glass. It is about the size of a tomatoe seed, shaped more like a check mark not a star burst shape.

Should I call the vacuum seal people, the Windshield Warranty people or just keep an eye on it (unit is 13 months old now)?

I have seen lots of posts on the Windshield so anyone that has been there, done that and got the T-shirt please feel free to advise.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:53 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
I was spending the day getting the Vegas all nice, shiney and finishing up on some quick little projects (finally installed the Tornado Black Tank Rinser).

When I worked on RainX for the big windsheild when I found a chip in the glass. It is about the size of a tomatoe seed, shaped more like a check mark not a star burst shape.

Should I call the vacuum seal people, the Windshield Warranty people or just keep an eye on it (unit is 13 months old now)?

I have seen lots of posts on the Windshield so anyone that has been there, done that and got the T-shirt please feel free to advise.

Doc
We had a rock thrown up on a recent trip and it put a star about the size of a dime in our windshield. I called a glass shop to "repair" it.... he did a poor job and at first I didn't think he actually did anything. I had a guy from SafeLite look at it and he said it was the poorest repair he had ever seen. Unfortunately it can only be "repaired" once. He didn't charge anything to look at it. If you go for a repair, make sure the repairman really knows what he is doing. I paid $40 for nothing. Maybe I will turn it into my insurance company at some point, but I fear another rock so I think I will wait...too many claims equals a raise in rates...
Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 AM   #3

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
You need to get chips repaired as soon as you can. If you wait, dirt can get into the crack and it is much more difficult to fix. If you see a chip it is a good idea to cover it with a piece of plastic held on by tape until you can get a glass man in. There are a lot of "fly by night" glass repair people out there so you need to research and make sure you get one who knows what they are doing. Florida has a zero deductable on glass repairs (if you have comprehensive coverage) so I always go thru my insurance company and let them pick the glass guy and pay for it. That way they are liable if the repair fails.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:21 AM   #4

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
You need to get chips repaired as soon as you can. If you wait, dirt can get into the crack and it is much more difficult to fix. If you see a chip it is a good idea to cover it with a piece of plastic held on by tape until you can get a glass man in. There are a lot of "fly by night" glass repair people out there so you need to research and make sure you get one who knows what they are doing. Florida has a zero deductable on glass repairs (if you have comprehensive coverage) so I always go thru my insurance company and let them pick the glass guy and pay for it. That way they are liable if the repair fails.
Very good advice. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:22 AM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Doc, can't say about Vegas windshield in particular, but I ignored two chips in my original Ford E-Series windshield, and it led to a replacement.

I normally get chips fixed right away, but this time put it off due to van being out of state (not an excuse). Last Fall in cool weather in Canada, one of the chips started a crack which grew fairly fast. Even though van passed state inspection, I got the windshield replaced last week. In my case I paid for the replacement because it was less than the deductible. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the chips fixed promptly.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:25 AM   #6
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Windshield chip

We just had a rock hit our 3 month old windshield. Had Safe Lite do the repair and was happy with the results. Just be aware you will still have a small blemish after the repair. Ours looks like a small bug splat. Fortunately ours isn't in the drivers view which helps.

Kev
Old 07-07-2016, 03:27 AM   #7

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
We just had a rock hit our 3 month old windshield. Had Safe Lite do the repair and was happy with the results. Just be aware you will still have a small blemish after the repair. Ours looks like a small bug splat. Fortunately ours isn't in the drivers view which helps.

Kev
I wish I had used Safe Lite. The guy who "repaired" mine is a Bozo.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:33 AM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
I just had Safe Lite repair my crv that had a star( insurance payed it all) they were out and done within two hours from initial call.
I also had them fix my Saturn windshield years ago ...couldn't even tell there was a dime size star at one point.
I will call them Monday to look at the RV due to a rock hitting me on this past Tuesday.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #9

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
All,

Thanks. Just called my ins company and to Safe Lite will be here Monday to fix it, covered 100% under insurance...no deductible.

DOc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Usually insurance will completely cover windshield chip fixes (no deductible) because it is far cheaper than replacing the entire windshield (especially for RVs).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #11

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Doc, can't say about Vegas windshield in particular, but I ignored two chips in my original Ford E-Series windshield, and it led to a replacement.

I normally get chips fixed right away, but this time put it off due to van being out of state (not an excuse). Last Fall in cool weather in Canada, one of the chips started a crack which grew fairly fast. Even though van passed state inspection, I got the windshield replaced last week. In my case I paid for the replacement because it was less than the deductible. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the chips fixed promptly.
Windshields are covered by comprehensive, not collision. My deductible for comprehensive is $50. My collision is $500. What is yours?
Old 07-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #12

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
All,

Thanks. Just called my ins company and to Safe Lite will be here Monday to fix it, covered 100% under insurance...no deductible.

DOc
Please post how the repair looks. Thanks.