Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
What is this loose cable hanging down?

I have contacted Thor Customer Care about this, but while I am waiting for them to respond I thought I would shout out to the Forum.

While crawling underneath my new Axis (to check out Taylorbob's suggestion as to how to mount my spare tire) I saw this cable hanging loose. See attached pic. It is about #4, black with a ring terminal on the end. It looks like it is coming from the generator compartment.

I just noticed that the pic below is reversed and upside down, but when you click on it, it is correct. Weird.

And another issue. I don't get any power from the two cigarette lighter outlets on the dash, either with the chassis engine running or the coach battery switch on. Anyone know which fuse serves them or why they might be dead?

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loose cable left rear.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	29464  

Old 03-29-2021, 03:42 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
That looks like the Chassis 12VDC ground or Black for the Genset. I can see the 120VAC flex (gray), the fuel hose (black) and the black flex is most likely the 12VDC POS and the control wires in the same conduit.

Does the GENSET start? It may if there is ground somewhere.

Look for a ground stud on the chassis somewhere within the perimeter of where that cable is, my guess is a loose nut that is now gone. Should be several wires at the same point and that may be why you don't have power to the outlets if the wires run back to the same point.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #3

THOR #20289
Yes the genset starts fine. I agree that it is probably the negative, ground side of the starter circuit. I will wait for Thor's response and then look for a missing screw and ground it. If I can't find a missing screw there are a couple of framing screws nearby I can ground it to.

I suspect the starter is grounded through its case, then the engine and the framing around it, so it really doesn't need a separate ground. That is why it starts fine.

David
Old 03-29-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Where does the other end go?
Old 03-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Go grab the electrical schematic for your coach. It should tell you what it is.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:26 PM   #6

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Go grab the electrical schematic for your coach. It should tell you what it is.
How do I get electrical schematics. I am a retired engineer and a schematic of the DC system would be great for troubleshooting.

David
Old 03-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #7

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
How do I get electrical schematics. I am a retired engineer and a schematic of the DC system would be great for troubleshooting.

David
At the thor website you can register as an owner. It will want your vin. Once registered it will have all sorts of good info.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:41 PM   #8

Model: 2018 Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #14061
loose cable

I just took a look at mine, and that cable attaches to the frame. You should see a hole in the frame close by.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
David,
Have you tried back-tracking it?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:40 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:

David
Go here and create an account--have your VIN with you:
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owner-resource/

Then you'll be able to download all kinds of info.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:44 PM   #11

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
sure looks like the genny ground cable, but its weird its just hanging out . Mine runs out of the bottom of the genny cowlings to a chassis ground point.

good luck

back trace it is very sound advice
Old 03-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 35m
THOR #13505
Have you put a meter on it and frame and see it shorts to ground to confirm it is Negative connection?
Old 03-29-2021, 07:32 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
I have contacted Thor Customer Care about this, but while I am waiting for them to respond I thought I would shout out to the Forum.

And another issue. I don't get any power from the two cigarette lighter outlets on the dash, either with the chassis engine running or the coach battery switch on. Anyone know which fuse serves them or why they might be dead?

David
Ford labels them as "power ports". There are fused in the Ford box under the hood. The Ford owners manual should have the fuse listed
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:04 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Look for a hole in the Chassis with some paint scraped off... you maybe missing the bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Ground Stud.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	29472  
Old 03-29-2021, 08:34 PM   #15

THOR #20289
Thanks for all of your inputs. I only had a few minutes when I found the hanging cable. I will go back to the RV tomorrow and follow the cable back, probably to the ground on the starter. I will also check its continuity to ground which I suspect it will have.

Then unless I hear otherwise I will connect it to one of the screws you see in the pic. I suspect it was never connected at the factory.

Anyone have any thoughts about the dead cigarette lighter sockets in the cockpit?

I did find the "schematics" in the Owner's Resource section of Thormotorcoach.com where I did register. The plumbing schematics were the most useful. The electrical schematics were pretty simple.

The one thing it cleared up for me were the three pos cable connections to the coach batteries. One #2 goes through a 100A breaker and then to the generator starter. It is that circuit that probably represents the hanging minus cable. Another cable #6 goes to a 50A breaker, the on/off switch and then to the converter panel. The third is a #2 and goes to the BIM.

That all makes sense now.

David
Old 03-30-2021, 05:00 AM   #16

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Do you have a transfer Switch? My generator has a green wire that connects to the ground buss bar inside the switch. Don't think you would need both and the ground inside ATS is in compartment and not exposed to elements. But I will look to see if I have a ground local to the genset.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #17
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:

David
I Just emailed Thor and gave the the last 4 of my VIN # and they sent me them by email. wsupport@tmcrv.com

FYI. Don't expect too much in the way of details
Old 03-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #18

THOR #20289
Well, it has been more than 24 hours and no reply from Thor. But I went back to my MH today and looked more closely. The cable is an Onan part number and is tied to the generator chassis and that point is labeled Ground. So obviously it was meant to be tied to the coach's chassis to provide the minus circuit for the starter. The starter only has a single orange #2 conductor going to it.

So I connected the open end to a convenient spot on the coach's chassis framing that supports the generator. That cable isn't necessary at all since the generator and coach chassis are tied together at multiple points. Obviously Thor forgot to connect it during assembly.

But I am still waiting to hear back from Thor about the dash cigarette lighter sockets being dead.

David
Old 03-30-2021, 06:41 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm glad that you solved the mystery to your satisfaction...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:50 PM   #20

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
Well, it has been more than 24 hours and no reply from Thor. But I went back to my MH today and looked more closely. The cable is an Onan part number and is tied to the generator chassis and that point is labeled Ground. So obviously it was meant to be tied to the coach's chassis to provide the minus circuit for the starter. The starter only has a single orange #2 conductor going to it.

So I connected the open end to a convenient spot on the coach's chassis framing that supports the generator. That cable isn't necessary at all since the generator and coach chassis are tied together at multiple points. Obviously Thor forgot to connect it during assembly.

But I am still waiting to hear back from Thor about the dash cigarette lighter sockets being dead.

David
the onan ground is required for proper function of said genny. Yes it more than likely has several shared grounds, some may be smaller gauge wire and may not like the heavy current draw to start the genny, then it may not ever become an issue.

my power management is sensitive to grounds and will trip out. its also very sensitive to the returns as well on the 120 volt side.

good you figured it out .