Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-27-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 28h
State: Colorado
Posts: 6
THOR #16027
What sealant to use between coach and chassis

Hello, we purchased a Thor freedom elite 28h this last year. It's a 2015 and the sealant that is between the chassis of the e450 and where the coach is is starting to crack. This is the area right behind the doors of the e450.

Has anybody resealed this before? If so, what did you use? Or, maybe it's something not worth worrying about.

Thanks in advance for your input.
__________________

__________________
Compnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:01 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
Posts: 824
THOR #13362
I have same issue on my Vegas.
So, lookin’ for answers too
__________________

__________________
'17 Vegas 24.1
taylorbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:26 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 1,986
THOR #13932
I've thought a bit about this and I can't come up with a concern.
But
Its not structural so the choice of filler isn't important.
I'm imagining it's there just to fill a gap.
__________________
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:54 AM   #4
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,362
THOR #1469
About five years ago I had an issue on the Challenger and Thor suggested I use Geocel 2300. That is what they said they use for all exterior areas. Not sure if it would be the same for you but that is what they had me use to seal around a trim piece where the walls were attached.

https://www.geocelusa.com/product/2300-mhrv-sealant/
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 1,926
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
About five years ago I had an issue on the Challenger and Thor suggested I use Geocel 2300. That is what they said they use for all exterior areas. Not sure if it would be the same for you but that is what they had me use to seal around a trim piece where the walls were attached.

https://www.geocelusa.com/product/2300-mhrv-sealant/
Geocel is CRAP. Thor has been using it on DRVs and it DOES NOT hold up at all. Cracks after just months. And if you read the technical sheet on it, you can not reapply. You have to strip it down and start over. Most DRVers have been using Lexel. It has been holding up extremely well and is super clear.
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:49 PM   #6
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,362
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Geocel is CRAP. Thor has been using it on DRVs and it DOES NOT hold up at all. Cracks after just months. And if you read the technical sheet on it, you can not reapply. You have to strip it down and start over. Most DRVers have been using Lexel. It has been holding up extremely well and is super clear.
Held up on the Challenger for over 4 years with no discoloration.

To each their own.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 28h
State: Colorado
Posts: 6
THOR #16027
Thanks for the input. After looking around some on other sites, I did find multiple hits for geocel for use on rvs. Most seem happy with the results. I couldn't find much on lexel for rv use.

I also don't think there is anything that will be structurally harmed by the cracked sealant but I want to make it look better. It's a little cold now to try it but going to buy some geocel and get it done in the spring.

Happy camping!!
__________________
Compnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: Kansas
Posts: 18
THOR #11164
Also 28H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compnerd View Post
Thanks for the input. After looking around some on other sites, I did find multiple hits for geocel for use on rvs. Most seem happy with the results. I couldn't find much on lexel for rv use.

I also don't think there is anything that will be structurally harmed by the cracked sealant but I want to make it look better. It's a little cold now to try it but going to buy some geocel and get it done in the spring.

Happy camping!!
Hi Compnerd,

My 2015 28H has not has this challenge, yet We also purchased our motorhome used and did a lot of improvements. It has been a great unit for us! Happy travels. Dave
__________________

__________________
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×