Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
Posts: 5,573
THOR #11130
Eat a Snicker Bar...you'll feel better. I will directly address the OP based on what he said. If he's wrong...so what...it's his issue. Quite dissecting fleas. It's just a forum.

__________________
Now an SOB
Traded Thor for Melbourne Prestige 24NP
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Winnebago Travato 59G
State: Alabama
Posts: 4,831
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Eat a Snicker Bar...you'll feel better. I will directly address the OP based on what he said. If he's wrong...so what...it's his issue. Quite dissecting fleas. It's just a forum.


__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #23
Member
 
steveha's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta 24SR
State: Arizona
Posts: 45
THOR #1894
Here is a link I gave to my electrician because we wanted to both be on the same page. I only needed 30A but wanted 50A installed... I like it because I need pictues.....

The 50-amp 120/240-volt 3 pole 4
__________________
steveha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 22,195
THOR #8860
"Friendly and helpful", can sometimes get in the way of a perfectly decent argument...
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 1,422
THOR #15553
It don't get any plainer than that
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
Posts: 2,585
THOR #4735
I don't use the elaborate 'campground' box for the outlets just for my simple hookup at home, I use 6/3UFB direct burial stranded wire run from the home's own electrical panel to a plain 50amp receptacle box outside near the motorcoach...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_southwire UFB.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	22272   Click image for larger version

Name:	50amp box.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	22273  

__________________
the Turners...
two Campers, two Electric cars
former diesel pusher traveler
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 4,131
THOR #12751
What is voltage of 50 amp service?

Unless you intend to run both A/C units at home, you can also install a 30A RV receptacle and get an adapter if that is an easier option for you.

I installed a 30A receptacle for my last coach. When I moved up to a Super C I just bought an adapter because I really only need it for charging and to run aim A/C when we are preparing for a trip.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:42 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 1,422
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Unless you intend to run both A/C units at home, you can also install a 30A RV receptacle and get an adapter if that is an easier option for you.

I installed a 30A receptacle for my last coach. When I moved up to a Super C I just bought an adapter because I really only need it for charging and to run aim A/C when we are preparing for a trip.
Nothing easier about it. Both require the exact amount of work. OP WANTS a 50 amp receptical.

Maybe it's a B&B for family during the holidays. He may live in TEXAS or FLORIDA.
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:19 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 22,195
THOR #8860
It would make one heck of an awesome "man-cave"..
__________________
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:22 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 2,424
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
How is he supposed to know if he never has hooked one up? It's really not a popular item. I owned my business for 30 years before I wired my 1st RV outlet. He would probably know when he look at the RV he was installing a receptical for.
He's supposed to know because he has the license. He is supposed to have the knowledge to support his license.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:52 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 1,422
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
He's supposed to know because he has the license. He is supposed to have the knowledge to support his license.
That's where you are wrong. I am the owner of 2 business and 8 employees and nobody but me has any kind of license. Not even a Journeyman. It all depends on what State you live in and how the laws are written.

Like I said before, it was 30 years (20 with a Master license ) before I saw my first RV service.
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
Posts: 5,573
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveha View Post
Here is a link I gave to my electrician because we wanted to both be on the same page. I only needed 30A but wanted 50A installed... I like it because I need pictues.....

The 50-amp 120/240-volt 3 pole 4

Good link...the key statement here:




"Almost ALL 50-amp wired RV's use both sides of the service separately as 120 volt on each leg. Only a few mostly high-end coaches utilize the 240-volt from this same service."
__________________
Now an SOB
Traded Thor for Melbourne Prestige 24NP
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Winnebago Travato 59G
State: Alabama
Posts: 4,831
THOR #6826
Iíve never had a 50A rig and hadnít ever thought about that particular point. Of course it makes no difference to the wiring of the shore plug but it itís an interesting bit of knowledge. Never fail to learn things from your posts, Gritz!
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:16 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
rynosback's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
Posts: 2,271
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Nothing easier about it. Both require the exact amount of work. OP WANTS a 50 amp receptical.

Maybe it's a B&B for family during the holidays. He may live in TEXAS or FLORIDA.
There is a little more work, you have to connect one more wire.
So about 1 minute more labor. Just busting your chops. But if there is space and capability in the main panel, I would run 50 over 30 amp receptical.
__________________
2016 DRV38RSB3
2015 Ram 3500 Regular Cab DRW CTD Asian trans 410 rear
rynosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:35 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
Posts: 336
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
Perfectly stated, This is supposed to be a friendly helpful forum.

Agreed!
GVP
__________________
GVP-The Boxcar Children is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 4,131
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Nothing easier about it. Both require the exact amount of work. OP WANTS a 50 amp receptical.

Maybe it's a B&B for family during the holidays. He may live in TEXAS or FLORIDA.

Maybe easier was a poor choice of words...... but with 30A service you only need a single 30A breaker and 10-2 wiring.... which ends up being a little less expensive in terms of 8-3 or 6-3 depending on the length of the run. You also take up an extra space for a breaker so depending on the panel that may or may not be an issue.

Also pulling 10-2 can be much easier than pulling 8-3 or 6-3... depending on the length of the run and how it is being run.

Again... all depends on specific needs but 30A is all I need for my 50A rig at home. A 50A outlet would be overkill for my needs at home.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 2,292
THOR #6903
Since this thread is still alive and well I use my 50 amp welder receptacle in the shop. It is a new style and is the exact same plug as the 50 amp RV

If I were to install any new panel and receptacle I would definitely go 50/60 amp as it will also work as and EV charger station down the road
__________________
lwmcguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:26 PM   #38
Cwp
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 5
THOR #17639
50a 220v

The quotes 30A or 50A on US RVs is based on the 120v single phase US system.

Electricians will be familiar with the simple equation P=VxI (Power = Volts x Amps).

So 120v at 50A gives a max power of 6Kw. 110V at 50A gives 5.5Kw

Using UK 220 v and the same power demand then current draw max would be around 27.2 Amps, single phase or at 240v around 25A.

You will find cables supplied with US RVs are much thicker than the equivalent EU cables as the total amperage is higher is the US.

But its not just out voltage and amps, the frequency supply in the US is 60Hz whilst in EU and many 220-240v systems the frequency is 50Hz. This can affect some AC and other systems in your RV that are designed for 60Hz (microwaves, etc). So using a straight forward step up transformer (120v - 220v) may be question as the frequency is still 60Hz. Some AC units simply don't like 50Hz.

I dont know the reason behind the question but if your importing an RV from the USA for the EU (eg to the UK) you must also comply with the 18th Edition of the EU electrical regulations.

This is just my view, no liability. Always consult a competent qualified electrician relevant to your country of registration of the RV.
__________________
Cwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
Posts: 1,422
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwp View Post
The quotes 30A or 50A on US RVs is based on the 120v single phase US system.

Electricians will be familiar with the simple equation P=VxI (Power = Volts x Amps).

So 120v at 50A gives a max power of 6Kw. 110V at 50A gives 5.5Kw

Using UK 220 v and the same power demand then current draw max would be around 27.2 Amps, single phase or at 240v around 25A.

You will find cables supplied with US RVs are much thicker than the equivalent EU cables as the total amperage is higher is the US.

But its not just out voltage and amps, the frequency supply in the US is 60Hz whilst in EU and many 220-240v systems the frequency is 50Hz. This can affect some AC and other systems in your RV that are designed for 60Hz (microwaves, etc). So using a straight forward step up transformer (120v - 220v) may be question as the frequency is still 60Hz. Some AC units simply don't like 50Hz.

I dont know the reason behind the question but if your importing an RV from the USA for the EU (eg to the UK) you must also comply with the 18th Edition of the EU electrical regulations.

This is just my view, no liability. Always consult a competent qualified electrician relevant to your country of registration of the RV.
The US system is 120/240. 110/220 went the way of the pay phone years ago.
RV 30 amp 120 volts = 3600 watts. RV 50 amp 240 volt = 12,000 watts.

50 amp RV service has 240 volts delivered to the RV via 2 hot 120 volt legs.
__________________
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:02 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
Posts: 118
THOR #7174
Also another reason I have an online built in Another reason to always use a surge protector...no matter how bad things could get screwed up I'm never blowing up anything in the coach.
__________________
djcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2