Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2020, 04:00 AM   #121
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
It's not hard. 50 amps is 2 legs. 30 amps is one leg. !A 30/50 dog bone uses one leg only and applies it to both legs of your 50 amp main. It is just one leg.

50 amps with no dog bone is 2 legs to you panel. I don't know how else to explain it!!
We may need another 120 posts in this thread.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:02 AM   #122

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
TF, I was responding to 16’s comment about not knowing my system. I have 2 sub panels with a 50 amp breaker, and one sub panel is connected to my 2800 watt inverter., which has it’s own control panel for settings and monitoring. I have a main input/output meter/panel for lack of a better description. It shows available amperage and ac’s, wh, etc. Another meter/panel displays various electrical status, but I leave it on L1/L2. As I’ve always stated, I have a pretty good basic understanding that works for me, but I usually learn a little more when the experts start to debate.
What we have here is a failure to communicate! It all comes back to the lnguage.

I have figured out why all this is so confusing. Most of it is the use of the wordPanel. When you talk to an electrican and say Panel he is thinking a box holding Circuit Breakers. Circuit breaker panel. Not and Electronic read out control panel.

You don't have 2 sub panels, you have a main panel with a main breaker and a sub feed breaker to a sub panel. I think you said the bottom panel is the main beaker panel with most of the breakers in it and the second panel is the inverter sup-panel. How am I doing? By the way, this is the first time you mentioned Inverter. Not everyone has an inverter. Pic's please. doors open. need to read the labels.

WE WILL GET THRU THIS!
Old 01-27-2020, 04:32 AM   #123

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
It's not hard. 50 amps is 2 legs. 30 amps is one leg. !A 30/50 dog bone uses one leg only and applies it to both legs of your 50 amp main. It is just one leg.

50 amps with no dog bone is 2 legs to you panel. I don't know how else to explain it!!
It may not be hard, but I don't follow the statement?

A 30/50 dog bone uses one leg only and applies it to both legs of your 50 amp main. It is just one leg.

I am looking at the input to the RV. It is very clear that incoming for 50 amp has 2 legs at 120v and combined it is 240. What is NOT clear is that given the 30/50 dogbone only uses 1 leg; coming out of the female portion of the 50 amp receptacle of the dogbone it has 120v on both of the legs that go to the RV. I accept because I have seen it on voltmeter that if you try to cross the legs you do not get 240v, you get 0vdc.

I concede to drop, but I was just trying to get a understanding from the RV's electrical perspective as to what it sees differently when the source power is via a true 50 amp source, or through a converted 30/50 dogbone? It just seems to me, you still have two legs coming in both scenarios and they are both 120vac?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:50 AM   #124

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
It may not be hard, but I don't follow the statement?

A 30/50 dog bone uses one leg only and applies it to both legs of your 50 amp main. It is just one leg.

I am looking at the input to the RV. It is very clear that incoming for 50 amp has 2 legs at 120v and combined it is 240. What is NOT clear is that given the 30/50 dogbone only uses 1 leg; coming out of the female portion of the 50 amp receptacle of the dogbone it has 120v on both of the legs that go to the RV. I accept because I have seen it on voltmeter that if you try to cross the legs you do not get 240v, you get 0vdc.

I concede to drop, but I was just trying to get a understanding from the RV's electrical perspective as to what it sees differently when the source power is via a true 50 amp source, or through a converted 30/50 dogbone? It just seems to me, you still have two legs coming in both scenarios and they are both 120vac?
Try this. Leg A and leg B. 50 amps with no dog bone you use A and B. That is 240 volts. Going all the way to your RV panel 50 amp breaker.

30 amps uses leg A only which is 120 volts.

30/50 dog bone uses Leg A. 120 volts. Dog bone puts leg A on leg A AND leg B of your main breaker. Think of it as being wired together with a wire nut. One wire in 2 wires out. All leg A. 120 volts to ground. A to B will be O-volts Because they are both leg A.

A to ground/neutral 120 volts.
50 amps is leg A and Leg B 240 volts.

I'm done with this part of this thread.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:07 AM   #125

THOR #13058
Quote:
Try this. Leg A and leg B. 50 amps with no dog bone you use A and B. That is 240 volts. Going all the way to your RV panel 50 amp breaker.

30 amps uses leg A only which is 120 volts.

30/50 dog bone uses Leg A. 120 volts. Dog bone puts leg A on leg A AND leg B of your main breaker. Think of it as being wired together with a wire nut. One wire in 2 wires out. All leg A. 120 volts to ground. A to B will be O-volts Because they are both leg A.

A to ground/neutral 120 volts.
50 amps is leg A and Leg B 240 volts.

I'm done with this part of this thread.

Got it, your statement A to B will be O-volts Because they are both leg A. A to ground/neutral 120 volts. is what I was missing to understand the why. I will add this section to bottom of my RV SOP & Procedures Electrical section.

Thanks
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-27-2020, 05:10 AM   #126

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Got it, your statement A to B will be O-volts Because they are both leg A. A to ground/neutral 120 volts. is what I was missing to understand the why. I will add this section to bottom of my RV SOP & Procedures Electrical section.

Thanks
opcor n:

time for a Nija nap!
Old 01-27-2020, 05:12 AM   #127

THOR #15553
Now I'll mess with you head. They could both be the B leg!
Old 01-27-2020, 05:28 AM   #128

THOR #13058
Quote:
Now I'll mess with you head. They could both be the B leg!
I actually follow that. Remember I wired it all and it was quite the experience. I learned what to do; not necessarily why it would work as it did. I guess if I had torn the dogbone apart, I would have slowly and eventually figured out a key part in your last statement which turned a light bulb on for me Think of it as being wired together with a wire nut. One wire in 2 wires out.

I tend to try to be a perfectionist, I fall short; but I always end up in a good place. Too bad you were not around when I used one of those surge monitors between my portable 3500 KW generator and RV. I got a floating ground After a lot of research; I made a grounding plug that fixed that warning.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:32 AM   #129

THOR #15553
Old 01-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #130

THOR #2121
Deleted
Old 01-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #131

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
... a way to simplify what the 30amp 120v to 50amp 240v adapter is doing is this:

since there is only a single 120v power wire coming from the 30amp outlet, but the 50amp side of the adapter has two, an internal cross-wire on the 50amp side of the adapter is used to connect these two, so that both have access to the 120v power from the 30amp outlet.

it doesn't matter which 'side' of your RV's Main Panel then uses the power, since all of it can be used by one side, some from both, or all from the other side - regardless, there is 120v power to both, up to 30amp of usage between them.

for testing:
If you use your voltmeter and touch both HOT LEGS on the 50amp side of the adapter, you'll get nothing because you are essentially only touching a single 120v wire, but you are not touching a ground or neutral to complete the circuit.
You'll get 120v if you touch either of the HOT LEGS and the ground or neutral, showing you that both 'legs' are getting the 120v power from the 30amp outlet, just as the adapter is designed to do.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #132

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
... a way to simplify what the 30amp 120v to 50amp 240v adapter is doing is this:

since there is only a single 120v power wire coming from the 30amp outlet, but the 50amp side of the adapter has two, an internal cross-wire on the 50amp side of the adapter is used to connect these two, so that both have access to the 120v power from the 30amp outlet.

it doesn't matter which 'side' of your RV's Main Panel then uses the power, since all of it can be used by one side, some from both, or all from the other side - regardless, there is 120v power to both, up to 30amp of usage between them.

for testing:
If you use your voltmeter and touch both HOT LEGS on the 50amp side of the adapter, you'll get nothing because you are essentially only touching a single 120v wire, but you are not touching a ground or neutral to complete the circuit.
You'll get 120v if you touch either of the HOT LEGS and the ground or neutral, showing you that both 'legs' are getting the 120v power from the 30amp outlet, just as the adapter is designed to do.
Thanks, I added this along with with some few other notes that Cavie sent me via PM to my RV SOP Notes & Procedures. I am good as a gold electrical contact now

Hey that reminds me... have you ever did any gold plating on RV contacts I am just playing I am all good to go. Thanks very much to you and Cavie