Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Washington
THOR #8026
No, I've always got water in mine.

I had the sulfur smell problem in my hot water too--one time when I first got the rig. I bought it used so I have no idea how long the water was in the system before I took possession, or what the water source was. Different parts of the country have high sulfur levels naturally. The central valley in California has some areas that have such smelly water, you really have to wonder if taking a shower did you any good.

Anyway, once I got my initial sulfur smell problem taken care of with the peroxide treatment, it never came back again, even though I always keep water in the system. (I repeat the peroxide treatment once per year anyway.)

--Don

Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #22

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It could always be worse...

Who took my picture this morning?
Old 09-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Who would stare stand in there with you? :eek

Whenever I make a point of showing my Missus that scene: she threatens to mount a large monitor on my gravestone, and...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #24

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKarstedt View Post
I drain my tank until I have a gallon or two of water left in it. Then I drive the rig to Wallmart , get 4 of the large peroxide bottles (pint size), dump them in and let them slosh around the tank on the way home.

At home, I run all fixtures both hot and cold so the peroxide can get in to every pipe and the water heater. Let it sit for an hour, then run everything dry, then run clean water through every fixture a time or two.

Even if a little residual peroxide stays in the system, it won't hurt anybody, and it definitely does not stink like bleach.

Thank You for the tip & update.
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #25

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
Thanks for all of the inputs
Old 09-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #26

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I had the rotten egg smell once. It happened because I filled the freshwater tank with water from a well and stored the RV with that well water in it. When I use "city" water that has been chlorinated, I don't get the smell no matter how long the RV is stored.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip 500 View Post
Thanks for all of the inputs
Skip,
Did you get it all cleared up?
Old 09-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #28

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Get Rid of that Smell

Here are three great ideas to help you out.

1. Drain your tank into a bucket. Bottle it up and sell it in the Appalachians as Moonshine.

2. Loan your rig to a hairdressers convention for on the spot dye jobs. When they return it the smell will have been replaced by an ammonia smell.

3. Let your dear mother-in-law stay in it over a weekend. Call the cops and tell them she is running a meth lab.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:28 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Ooh...

Number Three has definite possibilities!
Old 09-30-2018, 12:42 AM   #30

Model: View
State: Nevada
THOR #7987
Drain It!

Quote:
Do you let your water heater tank sit empty when you store your unit for a couple of months?
Thanks for the tip DonKarstedt. I will try that instead of bleach the next time it is due for tank sanitizing.

Skip, we were taught to empty the hot water tank after every trip if it was going to sit for more than two weeks before the next trip, when we bought our first travel trailer a number of years ago. We have just always adhered to that policy with every RV we have owned since that time, and have never had a problem with getting stinky water. We have had a relative discover though, that the amount of time that you can let water sit depends greatly on the quality of the water that you put in. (I know, duh, right?!?) My cousin has a well at their home, and the water has some iron content. They found that if they leave water in the hot tank for two weeks, it will rot and get a heavy sulfur smell. Ughhh! Good luck figuring out what works for you.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #31

State: Texas
THOR #12533
It isn't the water "rotting." It's a chemical reaction of the sacrificial anode that reduces the corrosion of the hot water tank and impurities in the water. Forms smelly sulfur compounds that dissolve back into the water.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #32

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by houche View Post
It isn't the water "rotting." It's a chemical reaction of the sacrificial anode that reduces the corrosion of the hot water tank and impurities in the water. Forms smelly sulfur compounds that dissolve back into the water.
That is very interesting. But as I recall, when I had a rotten egg smell in our motor home, it was with the cold and hot water. Since we don't get the rotten egg smell unless we leave untreated well water in the plumbing and tank (did that only once), do you think the city water treatment prevents the sulfur compounds from dissolving back into the water?
Old 10-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #33

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
ROT:
"gradually deteriorate through lack of attention or opportunity"

Nothing scientific here...rotting is rotting...when things go bad...they rot!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
ROT:
"gradually deteriorate through lack of attention or opportunity"
So THAT's what has happened to me!
Old 10-12-2018, 01:28 AM   #35

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKarstedt View Post
No, I've always got water in mine.

I had the sulfur smell problem in my hot water too--one time when I first got the rig. I bought it used so I have no idea how long the water was in the system before I took possession, or what the water source was. Different parts of the country have high sulfur levels naturally. The central valley in California has some areas that have such smelly water, you really have to wonder if taking a shower did you any good.

Anyway, once I got my initial sulfur smell problem taken care of with the peroxide treatment, it never came back again, even though I always keep water in the system. (I repeat the peroxide treatment once per year anyway.)

--Don
Yeah I lived in central California a long time ago. I can attest to that sulfur smell in the water. Had to change the house water filter EVERY month. One good thing? Well, when we went to the movies, the ice for the sodas used filtered water, so we just bought the ice... then we smuggled in canned sodas... then we added those little booze bottles. Extremely Northern California water was very good though. And around El Centro in Southern Ca.? Drink the Beer.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:22 AM   #36

THOR #8223
Follow up to rotten eggs

I’ve read the various posts on this forum and elsewhere and figure I have bacteria in my hot water tank. But here’s my conundrum…

I’m on day one of an eleven day trip. I have no idea how I can rain my HW tank and disinfect it when I’m at a campground. I doubt they’ll appreciate me draining 50 gallons at the campground. I figure tomorrow I’ll let it drain as I drive the next 275 miles, then fill it with the freshwater from the fresh tank that contains some chemicals to kill the bacteria and sludge. But I don’t have the ability to fill it and drain it all at a campground.

Any ideas on a course of action? ��
Old 10-06-2019, 04:40 AM   #37

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Put in your chemical, Clorox or HP in and let it slosh around. You can always use your pump to drain the Fresh water into the campgrounds sewer via the gray and/or black tank.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #38
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoeg View Post
I’ve read the various posts on this forum and elsewhere and figure I have bacteria in my hot water tank. But here’s my conundrum…

I’m on day one of an eleven day trip. I have no idea how I can rain my HW tank and disinfect it when I’m at a campground. I doubt they’ll appreciate me draining 50 gallons at the campground. I figure tomorrow I’ll let it drain as I drive the next 275 miles, then fill it with the freshwater from the fresh tank that contains some chemicals to kill the bacteria and sludge. But I don’t have the ability to fill it and drain it all at a campground.

Any ideas on a course of action? ��

If you are just draining the HW tank, it is only 6 gallons. Turn off the input to heater (winterizing valves), and remove drain plug from outside... You can refill/flush from your fresh tank which you said already has chemicals in it.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #39

THOR #8223
Thank you all! I will try this tonight at our destination.

I actually meant our fresh tank had 50 gallons and I was worried about having to dump all of that! It was late and I was tired and stressed. So my wording was poor! LOL
Old 10-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #40

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
This weekend while camping, found out that the hot water smelled like rotten eggs. I had not drained the water heater since our last excursion in April.

Is it better to leave the water heater empty when sitting for a few months or better to leave it full and flush it good before using it?

During the summer months it regularly gets up to 115 to 120 degrees!
Hydrogen sulfide is often produced from the microbial breakdown of organic matter in the absence of oxygen gas, such as in swamps and sewers; this process is commonly known as anaerobic digestion which is done by sulfate-reducing microorganisms. The answer to your question is yes. Water trapped in the waterlines will also smell after a month or so.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote