Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5819
Wheel and tire questions

Greetings-- I have two questions that I bet have been asked and answered in the past, but not by me. My rig is a '13 Siesta.
What magic tricks do you have to seat your wheel covers without playing "Whack-A-Mole?" I know to orient the cutout in the front cover around the valve stem, but I'm unaware of any need to orient the rear covers. I have been using a rubber mallet and my leg to hold the cover as I work my way around. One rear cover never quite seats, so I've been using zip ties to keep from losing it.
Second question: I want to install a TPMS system. Do I need to extend the wheel sensors outside the covers? It'd be a tight fit to position the front wheel sensors in the wheel cover holes. Can I install the rear sensors behind the cover and still get a good signal? Please post photos of your successful installation and the brand of TPMS you are happy with.
Thanks, Peter

Old 07-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Sometimes the wheel weights on the rim edge will cause issues. Just make sure it's seated well on both sides of the weights (if present).
Old 07-07-2021, 08:56 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I don't know what your covers are like. Mine had very small hand holes for access to the tire fill valves + I Had a bunch of trouble with the extensions the factory provided leaking.
Eventually I put my wheel covers in my attic and I removed the extensions. The rig doesn't look as nice but I can easily pass my hand through the holes to remove or install my TPMS sensors, and can easily get the gauge or chuck on the valves.
I wished I'd have done it long before I did. By then I had scratched up the wheels putting the covers off and on, and had to repaint them. Never did get them looking very nice.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:23 AM   #4

State: New Hampshire
THOR #5819
Thanks, friends, for your advise. Regarding the wonky seating of the covers and the possibility of interference with wheel weights, a few well-directed blows with a 2lb hammer to coak the weights closwer to the rim seems to have solved the problem. Filling tires and using TPMS sensors without covers would certainly be convenient, but I'm not ready to give up the bling!
Happy trails
Peter
Old 07-08-2021, 02:33 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013NHSiestaowner View Post
Thanks, friends, for your advise. Regarding the wonky seating of the covers and the possibility of interference with wheel weights, a few well-directed blows with a 2lb hammer to coak the weights closwer to the rim seems to have solved the problem. Filling tires and using TPMS sensors without covers would certainly be convenient, but I'm not ready to give up the bling!
Happy trails
Peter
My wheels are white and I have polished aluminum covers. It's a pain removing the two rear covers to reach the inner dually tire valve. But I've got it down to a routine using a removable extension.

I can't do the "commercial truck" look either... or I would consider leaving the covers off. Maybe I could paint them with some yellow wrinkle paint? Yep... the missus would love that...