Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2015, 01:33 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Where do you find info on the Ford Chassis?

HELP!!??

We are heading out tomorrow on our first short road trip and I looked thru the THOR Motor Coach bag of goodies I got at time of purchase, and I find no owners manual for the actual Chassis.

I was wanting to get some motor oil, some transmission fluid and radiator fluid but I find no manual. It's dark so I do not plan on going outside and searching high and low in the engine compartment for information (hard to see in there at high noon, much less at night).

Hopefully the manual for the Chassis is out there somewhere, but until then those of you in the know on the V-10, any suggestions on the basic requirements of oils and transmission fluid specifications?

I have had to find all other manuals online, may have to search the web during lunch tomorrow.

Thanks.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
HELP!!??

We are heading out tomorrow on our first short road trip and I looked thru the THOR Motor Coach bag of goodies I got at time of purchase, and I find no owners manual for the actual Chassis.

I was wanting to get some motor oil, some transmission fluid and radiator fluid but I find no manual. It's dark so I do not plan on going outside and searching high and low in the engine compartment for information (hard to see in there at high noon, much less at night).

Hopefully the manual for the Chassis is out there somewhere, but until then those of you in the know on the V-10, any suggestions on the basic requirements of oils and transmission fluid specifications?

I have had to find all other manuals online, may have to search the web during lunch tomorrow.

Thanks.
The chassis owners manual should have come with the vehicle along with the chassis warranty info. When I took delivery of my rig the chassis manual was in the cabinet above the driver's head. It was not in the Thor black bag.

If not you should be able to go to Ford's web site and download the manual for your particular chassis.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:44 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
different coach, but mine specs 5w-20, 6 quarts with filter change. I just did it a couple weeks ago.
I can't help off the top of my head with the other stuff.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:48 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Here is the owner's manual's for the E-350:
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...016/Ford/E-350

Here are some incomplete vehicle manuals: (Although these seem to be more for the body builder than the end user)
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS/topics/incomp.html

Here is the E Series cutaway and stripped chassis specifications:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS...Cutaway_SB.pdf

I think all our Axis has in it is the very first link above: E-350 owner's manual.

This link is what came up when I typed in our VIN into owner.ford.com:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_03_2014.pdf

Our E-350 manual was inside the Thor black bag.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:15 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Owner's manual should be in the Thor black bag. That's where mine was also.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:17 AM   #6

THOR #2142
Thanks to all. I will get some 5-20 W and search in the RV for more manuals. The downloads are some 350 pages long.

This Forum is an outstanding way to share info and data. I am so very glad it is available as I believe I am the only Vegas owner around here so finding a kindred spirit around here to bounce ideas off...it just ain't gonna happen.

BTW: Getting ready for tomorrow's trip I made my second small upgrade (I installed a gun safe next to the DVD hook-up in the bedroom last Friday) . I took a plastic coke crate and attached it in the storage bay under the driver's seat (lots of wires and panels on the aft section of that area) so as to store antifreeze, oil, transmission fluid, windshield wiper fluids and some towels. Used two screws into the frame of the door panel and some liquid nails under the crate. Now I can bungie cord things in place an not have them tumble around.

I appreciate you all sharing and helping.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
I took a plastic coke crate and attached it in the storage bay under the driver's seat (lots of wires and panels on the aft section of that area) so as to store antifreeze, oil, transmission fluid, windshield wiper fluids and some towels.
On ours, since that is the closest storage to the sewer, that is where all our sewer stuff goes--except the hose (the hose is underneath the rear as mentioned in the http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-3-go-820.html thread).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Louisiana
THOR #625
Google Ford F-53 Chassis motorhome manual...............
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
MRS JARHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:55 AM   #9

THOR #2142
Thanks for the Google info. I did find my chassis owner's manual and all the info was in there.

We are heading out for a second weekend (short range) trip next Friday and prior to that I plan to pickup a 30 Amp Surge protector as the only real change since the last trip.

I did get a Camp Chef Lumberjack Over Fire Grill (16X24) for cooking at the campsite...last time someone had stolen the site's metal firepit. So I built one out of rocks and some scrap steel rods (the ones used to hold the stolen firepit in place). I'll be prepared this time.

Thanks again for all the info shared on this site.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:28 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Virginia
THOR #2449
Open glove compartment and there is a latch on top of it that has the manual behind it.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
The Vegas 24.1 is built on a Ford E350 chassis, not the F53 chassis, so make sure you downloaded the correct manual.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #12

THOR #2142
No problem, I got the one for the E350.

With all the "dashboard" area the Vegas has no glovebox!

Anyone find a store that carries the Good Governor Digital 3-in-One Volt Meter? I was watching the "RV Education 101 Seminar Series" and it looks like a great gizmo to have to keep an eye on line Voltage into an RV.

I have requested my local Camping World to notify me when they get the Surge Guard 30 AMP Surge Protector back in stock.

I'd hate to fry the electronics and what not in the RV due to improper Voltage from the campsite.

Thanks again for all the shared info available on this Forum.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I use this one:

Its made by Prime Products and available on Amazon for about $30.

Another option is to buy one of the better surge suppressors that monitor the voltage, such as the Surge Gard units. They will automatically disconnect your rig. Afterall, if you are away from the rig when you experience a brownout, no voltage monitor will help.

Last weekend while camping in 90deg weather, all of the rigs in the park had their AC going, and I was watching my meter. At night, the meter would read 117~120VAC which is more or less normal.

But in the daytime with all of the AC units running more or less at their maximum, it got down to 108VAC, which is around the point I had cause for concern. I did shut down the microwave so as to prevent it from damage due to a possible brownout, and moved the Fridge over to GAS for the same reason.

But it didn't go any lower, so I didn't take any further action.

The definition of a brownout is a 10% drop in voltage. Since the normal voltage can be anywhere between 110~120VAC, this means the danger area starts around 99VAC. Surge suppressors such as the Surge Gards cut out at <102VAC, which is probably a good point to watch for.

I accuracy tested this meter with my Fluke multimeter and they read about the same, so the accuracy is sufficient.

This meter will not do frequency, but other than a generator, the frequency of the US grid should not be too much of a concern. And I believe the Onan generators will shut down if they go too far off frequency. I'd check the manual for sure though.

Monitoring the voltage in my view is the big issue.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #14

THOR #2142
l appreciate the information and will be going online later today to see about getting one before this weekend...it is anticipated to be in the 98+ temp range all weekend so the RV site will probably have it's electrical supply stretched a bit.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
One other thing I noticed, that when turning off other appliances when the rig was at 108VAC, the voltage increased to around 110VAC.

It is normal for some voltage loss due to current flowing through the wire. This is mostly an issue with DC, but AC can exhibit the same thing at a less drastic rate.

So it can be beneficial to also shut down other items in the rig in marginal power situations.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #16

Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
I have requested my local Camping World to notify me when they get the Surge Guard 30 AMP Surge Protector back in stock.
You may want to check Amazon. I was able to get my 50 amp surge protector much cheaper than my dealer or CW were selling them.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:55 AM   #17

State: Louisiana
THOR #2309
Ford Customer Service

the Ford Customer Roadside Assistance number is 1-800-392-3673. I've called them once and they were very helpful in providing information, more so than Thor customer service.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #18

THOR #2142
Thanks for the hone #. It goes into the Travel Bag!