Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #14070
Where to get service?

I purchased an RV used, and it is still under the factory warranty. However, I cannot find a local dealer who is willing to take me in for service without a 5+ month wait, after summer 2020! I live in the Los Angeles area and am willing to drive within reason to have it serviced. It seems that if I didn't buy from them, no dealer is willing to service it.

I even tried SimiRV, where I purchased TWO new RVs in the past - they wouldn't make an appointment for me, and no exception for having a purchase history.

Is there anyone here who knows of a dealership that will do warranty work without the "did you buy from us" condition?

Old 02-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
When you called Thor and asked if they had mobile guys who are factory authorized, what did they tell you? The western regional Thor warranty rep says they exist in your area.

What type of work do you need?
If it's fixable with a screwdriver or easily within your capability... I suggest you fix it yourself. There are many tales on this forum of Thor shipping parts directly to the rv owner for self installation.
If it is something only a dealer can do, take it in.

And

While my experience is exactly the opposite of what some here say, some here say a purchased used unit isn't covered. Thor and CW covered my, bought used from a private party who bought it 2100 miles from my local cw, 24.1 just fine, with same week parts delivery.
But,
It might be worth asking Thor directly.

Your new vs used coverage might come down to owner attitude. I have an excellent attitude, many here who couldn't get their used coach serviced, might not be so cheery.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:50 PM   #3

THOR #14070
I haven't called Thor, I've just been calling dealerships directly. I suppose that'll be my next call.

Work I need is... the rear A/C unit turns on, but does not blow cold air. Rear jacks seem to not go down all the way; maybe just needs a reset, I tried to reset them, that didn't work. I normally do things myself - the workmanship is always better. However, these two are over my head. Less important, the front driving/parking lights are very faint, and never turn off. I can just unplug those.

Attitude... I was raised in the "say please and thank you" generation, so I'm not getting a cold shoulder there. I'll see what Thor says and update this thread. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:50 PM   #4

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Just tell them you bought it where ever you are. They won’t check
Old 02-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #5

THOR #13932
Hugh is mostly right.
I doubt they'll check, but your service is still months out even if you told them you bought it there.

Just some insights from my rv

My ac turns the fan on immediately. It sometimes takes a minute or two for the compressor to kick in. If it can't get the electrical draw, it will never kick on. Are you hearing only the fan or is the compressor coming on. The fan is immediate, the compressor is a later clunk.

My lights go out after over ten minutes. Another forum members same year 24.1 does not ever go off if he doesn't turn them off.
Are you sure they don't out after what seems like a stupidly long amount of time?
I just leave the lights on always and they do their thing.

Are they jacks or stabilizers?
Stabilizers will touch the ground only and turn off with very little pressure applied, lifting nothing.
Jack's will lift the vehicle off the ground.
Reset should be just a button or two with (I'm pretty sure) at least a dozen 'how to' videos on youtube.

I know my ac info is a bit basic, but I too have owned rv's prior to this one and I swear the compressor came on with the fan in all of them. This one I have now comes on in one to ninety seconds later.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Yes I would call Thor direct and ask why their dealers will not service a coach under factory warranty. I am very interested in seeing what Thor says about that.
Let’s face it we all bought motorhomes to travel. What are we supposed to do if we are 1000 miles from home and need repair that we are unable to do ourselves
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #7

THOR #14070
Yeah, I'm sure the A/C isn't working right. I have two units. The front one kicks on and then the compressor starts and it gets cold. The rear one used to work, now it just turns on, blows air, and the compressor never gets going.

The lights, I noticed they were on one night while it had been in my driveway for a few weeks. It's not a delay - it's either wired funky or the switch is bad or something. When I put the switch in the ON position, they don't turn on either. That's why I figured I would just unplug them.

Anyone have a phone number for Thor handy?
Old 02-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #8

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Yes I would call Thor direct and ask why their dealers will not service a coach under factory warranty. I am very interested in seeing what Thor says about that.
Let’s face it we all bought motorhomes to travel. What are we supposed to do if we are 1000 miles from home and need repair that we are unable to do ourselves
OK, let's say the dealer caves to pressure from Thor.
Now the op would still be months out.
You think throwing a dealer under the perceived Thor bus is the answer?

Thor has a contingency plan for emergency warranted repairs. It's been written of here on this forum many times.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #9

THOR #14070
It never even dawned on me to lie about buying from them. I would be terribly embarrassed to get caught!
Old 02-18-2020, 07:27 PM   #10

THOR #14070
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
OK, let's say the dealer caves to pressure from Thor.
Now the op would still be months out.
You think throwing a dealer under the perceived Thor bus is the answer?

Thor has a contingency plan for emergency warranted repairs. It's been written of here on this forum many times.
Yeah, I feel like if a dealer does cave under pressure from Thor, I wouldn't get the best service anyway. Or they would magically find a reason for it to not actually be a warranty claim. And yes, I don't think they'd be able to move my appointment up anyway.

Emergency warranty repairs. Now that might be the route to go. I wonder what Thor would do about that. If I were traveling the country, there must be some way to service it. I skimmed the topic titles, but didn't see anything about that. If you happen across one, please link it for me.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #11

THOR #13932
They sic a mobile guy on it.
Sometimes you pay the mobile and Thor writes you a check upon your proofs.
Sometimes the guy is an authorized Thor guy and you pay nothing.
You need Thor prior authorization to do this.

I wouldn't lie either unless coached by the service guy who was enjoying the 12 pack of tacos I brought in for the service writers and mechs.

I am a bit of an odd guy when it comes to stuff like that.
I fully believe in nepotism and priveldge of office.

Nepotism makes for very uncomfortable Thanksgiving dinners when I tell my aunt, your grandma, you're a semi worthless sack of crap at work.

Priveledge of office.
It's the service writers discretion as to discounts and line jumping. A prefavor gift of Tacos or pizza is a small price to pay as proof you're not a whiner or incorrigible. Cash is gauche, tacos good.
I'd tell them I'm sorry to be associated with the Thor bus throwers and as my penance for the sins of other Thor whiners... Here's some tacos. (which is exactly what I did and mostly what I said on my first and second trip to cw for warranty work)

The guys who complain of employees at ReStore cherry picking the good stuff should get off of their considerable ass and volunteer there.(a personal issue of mine. Just miasma, but of the essence of this post)

Old 02-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #12

THOR #12125
If you just need service, try Metro RV in Burbank.

I got mine in w/in a few days when everyone else was out several months as well. While not an authorized Thor service center, they may still be able to work w/ Thor for warranty stuff - ask them.

I've had 3 RV's service here over the last 15 yrs, they are honestly the only place where they fixed my problem and I had no issues or additional issues after the fact.

Just recently was for a propane tank leak. Back in 2008 when they were still an authorized Thor dealer they took care of my leaking window (factory hadn't installed the seal). And prior to that was a fridge issue.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #13

THOR #14698
To the OP. I had a similar issue with my old Gulfstream coach. Fan ran but compressor would not run. Turned out that the hard start capacitor went bad. Part was $25 at the time and took me and my neighbor bout 1/2 hour to replace.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 02-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #14

THOR #14070
I found a place to service it, who will take me in on Monday, which is incredible. Unfortunately, according to Yelp it's a hit or miss on the level of service I'll get. So, I'm going to take a crack at diagnosing the A/C issue myself. Gonna start a new thread for that.

Thanks, all.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #15

THOR #13932
I had to cross reference and really read into the reviews for my 4wd install.
All 4wd people were ecstatic. All whoopdie owners who wanted a gear change on credit in their 1984 cavalier z24... Not so happy. A few mechanics liens and a scrap yard sale after six months of storage and the z24 owner and all their friends piled onto yelp.

We drove the axis up there just so we and he could have a look see/handshake. We never signed a contract, we didn't leave a down payment we only had his word and my word.
It was done a week early.

Just sayin'.
Some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy.
Then they write reviews.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #16

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofabio View Post
I found a place to service it, who will take me in on Monday, which is incredible. Unfortunately, according to Yelp it's a hit or miss on the level of service I'll get. So, I'm going to take a crack at diagnosing the A/C issue myself. Gonna start a new thread for that.

Thanks, all.
I personally don’t put a ton of stock in Yelp reviews. Several have posted terrible reviews about my local dealer. My experience has been great. Somebody that goes into a service department with a s..t attitude because they are pissed about the problems with their coach are not going to get the jump through hoop response one gets when one is pleasant and understands the service people are only trying to do their job. A thank you and a smile go a long way, especially these days with a society full of angry at the world peeps!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 02-21-2020, 11:06 PM   #17

THOR #14070
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc62 View Post
i personally don’t put a ton of stock in yelp reviews. Several have posted terrible reviews about my local dealer. My experience has been great. Somebody that goes into a service department with a s..t attitude because they are pissed about the problems with their coach are not going to get the jump through hoop response one gets when one is pleasant and understands the service people are only trying to do their job. A thank you and a smile go a long way, especially these days with a society full of angry at the world peeps!

absolutely!
Old 02-22-2020, 04:04 AM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Mike Thomoson is good with taking non sold by their dealership mhs.

And as mentioned above call thor for mobile tech

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #19

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Ohio
THOR #4541
I have a 2016 Thor ACE that I bought in Virginia. I live in Ohio. I tried to get service locally with very little luck. One shop would take me in but 1st available was 4 months out. Not what I wanted to hear but it is understandable. They take care of customers who bought from them. It's not a case of "you didn't buy from me so we I won't service you." If they have the time they'll get you in. They would be crazy to turn down the business. It's the price I pay for buying 500 miles away.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #20

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
You don’t have to go to cw go somewhere else