Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Utah
THOR #19114
Where are the low point drain valves? (2020 Four Winds)

Hello, I am a newbie here. Bought a 2020 Four Winds 24F a few weeks and am still learning about the motorcoach. I read the manual, download schematic diagram from owner resources website, reach out to the dealer and contact Thor Customer Care. The dealer service department did not reply to my voicemail or email. Thor Customer Care showed me a schematic diagram that I have already found in Owner Resource and I still don't have an answer. I hope the Thor Forum can help me on this question.

I looked at the schematic diagram and it shows there's shutoff valves at the low point drains. See attached schematic diagram 2020-06-08_18-45-01.png & Drainage Layout.pdf.

However, I don't see them in my RV. The water tank is under my kitchen sink behind the cabinets. I took the pictures and I can't find them (2020-06-25_11-26-55.png attached). I have also went underneath and I don't any valves below as well. See 2020-06-25_11-29-25.png.

I am puzzled. It really make me wonder how I have water pressure if there's no shut off valve & the low point drains are open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-06-08_18-45-01.png
Views:	1269
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	24439   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-06-25_11-26-55.jpg
Views:	1291
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	24440  

Name:	2020-06-25_11-29-25.png
Views:	223
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	24441  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Drainage Layout.pdf (290.8 KB, 236 views)

Old 06-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum ericpan. I see no responses to you so far, so even though I don’t know your coach specifics at all, I wanted to say that this is one of the best and most complete “information provided” (newbie or not) questions I have seen on this forum. You should receive the Bob Denman award for that at the very least.......I’ll leave that up to Bob to figure something up, if he reads this.

Now to your problem; based on all you have provided I would say that someone at the factory skipped your drain valves completely and actually installed pex 90 degree elbows instead of valves at first glance.....unless someone with your coach or previous years coach can identify the secret hand shake disclosure of their real hidden location. I assume that when you run your water pump you get water just draining out of the low point drains?

You should go back again to Thor and selling Dealer to advise them (now you have the drawings) that you think the valves were not installed. The Selling Dealer should have done a walk through of all systems with you when you came to pick up the coach so you could see that systems work and where critical items are located. Of course many Dealers are just Stealers in sheeps clothing.

Ironically even though Thor provides spec drawings most coaches come out of production not necessarily matching those drawings exactly......so it might be possible the valves are some where else......but logic would say they should be above (or very close to) the actual low point drain tubes exiting through the floor.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:25 PM   #3

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I have a 2017 24F. The low point drains are under the cabinet drawer below the oven. Open that drawer all the way and lean in and you’ll see the valves.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #4

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
My mistake...the picture is under the oven cabinet. Those pipes are where the hot and cold water come across the coach from under the dinette bench. I bet if you peel back some of the foam in the picture you will find the drain valves. I don’t have all of that foam around my pipes.

Here is a picture of mine. The valve handle is a half inch below the floor.

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	24519
Old 06-29-2020, 03:24 AM   #5

THOR #19114
Javelin,

Thanks for your compliments and your suggestion. I did try to run the water pump and put a bucket underneath the low point drains. I didn't see any water dripping. Therefore, it got me really puzzled.

Yes, the dealer did walk me through when I pick up the new RV. It was just a high school kid who taught me about how to operate the appliances and where all the safety features are. He could hardly answer detailed questions and always seek assistance from his seniors. As for winterization, he simply just brush me off by recommended me to bring the RV in for service. Therefore, he did not show me anything related to draining and by-pass valves.

Due to Covid-19, I am still avoiding any non-essential appointment. That's why I didn't drive my motorhome to the selling dealer and ask them for quick answer.

With Jimbo12's reply to this thread, I've found the answer. I will reply in another post. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Welcome to the forum ericpan. I see no responses to you so far, so even though I don’t know your coach specifics at all, I wanted to say that this is one of the best and most complete “information provided” (newbie or not) questions I have seen on this forum. You should receive the Bob Denman award for that at the very least.......I’ll leave that up to Bob to figure something up, if he reads this.

Now to your problem; based on all you have provided I would say that someone at the factory skipped your drain valves completely and actually installed pex 90 degree elbows instead of valves at first glance.....unless someone with your coach or previous years coach can identify the secret hand shake disclosure of their real hidden location. I assume that when you run your water pump you get water just draining out of the low point drains?

You should go back again to Thor and selling Dealer to advise them (now you have the drawings) that you think the valves were not installed. The Selling Dealer should have done a walk through of all systems with you when you came to pick up the coach so you could see that systems work and where critical items are located. Of course many Dealers are just Stealers in sheeps clothing.

Ironically even though Thor provides spec drawings most coaches come out of production not necessarily matching those drawings exactly......so it might be possible the valves are some where else......but logic would say they should be above (or very close to) the actual low point drain tubes exiting through the floor.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:50 AM   #6

THOR #19114
Jimbo12,

You are right on! I found them once I peel back the expansion foam. Indeed they are about a inch below the elbows and they are the pull-up T valves. See attachments. I was expecting the valves to look like one that you've got. Gosh! This finally solve the mysteries that troubled me for the past few weeks. Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
My mistake...the picture is under the oven cabinet. Those pipes are where the hot and cold water come across the coach from under the dinette bench. I bet if you peel back some of the foam in the picture you will find the drain valves. I don’t have all of that foam around my pipes.

Here is a picture of mine. The valve handle is a half inch below the floor.

Attachment 24519
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7600.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	24540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7601.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	24541  

Old 06-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Glad you found your drain valves. I can't really see them in your pictures, but at least you know where they are located now. Trust "the builders" to make them as inaccessible as possible......especially if they are T pull valves, which usually have a finger ring and need some space to pull open the valve and then push them closed again. At least they are only used occasionally.