Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2019, 02:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: RS26
State: Virginia
THOR #16795
Where is the slide out control module?

Hello all, I’m new to the forum and looking for some help.
I just purchased a 2017 Thor Quantum RS26. I’ve been looking over the motor home trying to familiarize myself with all its features prior to my first camping trip this coming weekend. I’ve seen posts here relating to the slide out control/override module. If the slide gets stuck in the open position, you can reset it or override it in order to bring the slide back in. I have looked everywhere for this module, in all outside storage compartments, under drawers, inside cabinets, under seats, etc. but I can’t find it. Does anyone have this particular model motor home who knows where it could be?

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Slide Controller

On our ‘17 Chateau 31W the controller is in an outside compartment on the drivers side. Here is a picture for you for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1937D2BB-34F9-4FF2-BFF1-E488932041FE.jpg
Views:	1552
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	20414  
FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #3

THOR #14057
Oh and welcome to our campground ⛺️ and pull up a chair.
FMCA F496287
Old 09-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: welcome aboard!
On my Outlaw: it was on the inner wall of the left rear storage compartment...
Old 09-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbryan View Post
I’ve seen posts here relating to the slide out control/override module. If the slide gets stuck in the open position, you can reset it or override it in order to bring the slide back in.
Thanks for any help.
Pressing the open/close switch twice in rapid succession will reset the controller. It can also be reset by pushing the button on the controller once. To put the controller in override, you press the button six times and hold the button on the seventh push of button. The red and green LED will flash alternately as opposed flash together when the controller reset. When you move the slide to its limit, holding the switch in for 3 to 5 second forces the controller into reset and the LEDs will flash together showing the controller is reset. The LEDs in the controller flash alternately while the slide is moving and go out when the slide is stopped. Just remember all safety protocols are removed when controller is put in override. This means the motors are not synchronized and the slide will cock with one side moving faster. It is usually necessary to push hard on the slow side to help the slower motor to get the slide in. If you get a slide cocked in mid-travel, it takes many skillful button presses to un-stick the slide and get it all the way in/out to re-sync the motors.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #6

THOR #16795
Thanks everyone. I still can’t find it though. I thought it might be inside the storage bay under the slide out but that isn’t the case. I’m not having any issues with the slide out at this time, I just want to be prepaired in the event I do have issues.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #7

State: North Carolina
THOR #15887
inside the storage compartment if you look to the left, do you see something like an access panel with 4 screws ? if so it may be behind that.
Current coach: Itasca Navion IQ 24V
Former coach: Thor 22FE
RVwithDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #8

State: South Carolina
THOR #7629
Schematics

We have a Hurricane and it is in the left cabinet above the driver’s seat.

If you contact Thor they will email schematics of your coach. It can come in very helpful so it’s good to have on hand before you have a problem.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:50 PM   #9

THOR #16795
Thanks again for all the responses. I called Thor and they did email me a schematic showing the apparent location of the controller. They said it would be under the slide out in the outside storage bay. They also said it would be easily excesable. Well, it’s not there. The entire storage bay is paneled and the panels are stapled not screwed. I don’t feel comfortable pulling paneling and staples out, that doesn’t seem to be easily excesable to me. I’ll keep looking though...
Old 09-24-2019, 03:57 AM   #10

THOR #6411
The motor to controller cables Thor MC uses on gas coaches are 20 ft long. So, the in-wall slide controller will usually be in in the upper back of the center basement compartment, not convenient but up, out of the way. The cables will run down the wall beside the slide in a chase, under the floor to the basement compartment. So in a 18 foot slide there in not enough cable to mount the controller any where else, but in a basement under the center of the slide. There are 40 ft cables but the list is $60 more than the 20 footers so Thor MC only uses them of the full wall slides.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbryan View Post
Thanks again for all the responses. I called Thor and they did email me a schematic showing the apparent location of the controller. They said it would be under the slide out in the outside storage bay. They also said it would be easily excesable. Well, it’s not there. The entire storage bay is paneled and the panels are stapled not screwed. I don’t feel comfortable pulling paneling and staples out, that doesn’t seem to be easily excesable to me. I’ll keep looking though...
Hmmmmmm...
I found a video that showed off the 2017 RS26 (By the way: nice RV!
That Mega Storage compartment under the bedroom slide is panelled!
Does your bed lift up? If it does: try looking in there.
My Tiffin has a rear slide, and that's where they hid it in mine: under the bed...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #12

THOR #14057
Just saw a floor plan for that model. Bob, I bet you are correct on that location.
FMCA F496287
Old 09-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #13

THOR #16795
Bob,

The bed base does not lift up. I thought it might be under there also so I removed the mattress to check. The plywood base moves some at the foot of the bed but will not lift up. I'll take another look under the mattress this evening.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good luck, and happy hunting!
Old 09-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I found a link that might be helpful...

https://www.justanswer.com/sip/rv?r=...iAAEgIvv_D_BwE

To be honest: I don't know if they charge anything, and I don't know if they are any good...
... But it might be worth a peek.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:56 PM   #16

THOR #16795
EUREKA!!! I found it... It’s inside the outside storage compartment under the slideout. I had to remove the left side paneling along with the staples that held it in place. There was also a compartment light attached to the paneling that had to be unwired. I cut my own access panel in the paneling and then replaced the paneling and rewired the light. I truly believe they forgot to include the access panel during the manufacturing process. There is no way that was easy access. Thanks to everyone for your help on this, I truly appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:10 PM   #17

THOR #14057
Yay,,,,how about some pictures. That was most likely an oversight. Paneling in an outside storage area? All our storage compartment are cast polymer of some sort.
FMCA F496287
Old 01-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #18

State: Washington
THOR #11895
I developed an issue with the slider motors getting out of sync. I've reset the controller several times and it still won't sync. One side opens while the other one closes. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #19

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbgooch View Post
I developed an issue with the slider motors getting out of sync. I've reset the controller several times and it still won't sync. One side opens while the other one closes. Any other suggestions?
The only way that could occur is if one ends of the cable from controller to the motors is reversed. The plugs into the controller and the motor are keyed but it is possible to override the key with some force. I guess the controller could fail in that mode but I would think it was as likely as a miss wire.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #20

State: Washington
THOR #11895
Angry Quantum Slider Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The only way that could occur is if one ends of the cable from controller to the motors is reversed. The plugs into the controller and the motor are keyed but it is possible to override the key with some force. I guess the controller could fail in that mode but I would think it was as likely as a miss wire.
There's never been any work done in this area. It's worked fine up to this point. I've used it many times without any problems. I am so frustrated. It's in my driveway and I want to get it put back in its storage area.