Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2020, 11:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #17462
Where would you look for the LP Gas Detector Fuse?

I blew the fuse when adding a brand spankin new LP gas detector and I'm clueless as to where to look for the fuse. Here's some diagrams I got with the rig and here's the fuse box view I've got... any ideas?

Old 05-06-2020, 12:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Got to be another fuse panel for the house loads. I don't see things like furnace, fridge, water heater, etc.

And depending on your coach, the fuse may not even be on the house fuse panel; it may be inline wired directly from the house batteries.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:44 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Are you sure it’s a 12 volt fuse and not a 110 breaker? Check the panels on the bed pedestal.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:42 AM   #4

THOR #17462
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Are you sure it’s a 12 volt fuse and not a 110 breaker? Check the panels on the bed pedestal.
Absolutely sure. Showed solid 13.1 before I blew the fuse. These need to run 24/7.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:57 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Can you follow the wires from the LP detector?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:37 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Let's go with the facts.

1. We know it is 12vDC by your verifying previously. The back of unit will also confirm,
2. You have found the 12vDC Distribution Panel, actually covers both batteries
3. The Gas Detector is not on the panel so it does not have it's own fuse on the panel.

So what would I do?

1. I would first confirm that all DC fuses are working (not blown)
2. Assuming all DC fuses are good then you 100% no doubt about it have to have a inline fuse for the Gas detector or do you have 12VDC Circuit Breakers
3. Go to House batteries and look for separate leads coming off the positive posts, that inline should be within 18 inches of batteries or so if it was done professionally.

If it is inline is not seen near battery you will need to go back into coach to trace the wire to see it's power source. Also don't discount a 12v transformer somewhere that is off 110AC. Not too hard to check the AC breakers just for sanity sake and to add one more known fact to the equation.

My coach a Winnebago has 12vDC fuses and two 12VDC circuit breaker panels. It is nice to just need to push reset button and keep going.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:42 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You don't mention what type of rig this is in. It would help if folks knew what model coach because they might be able to tell you where the fuse panel is.

On my electrical schematics it shows my LP detector using Fuse 12, which is a 15 Amp fuse, located in the 12VDC fuse panel on the base of the bed. I am sure your model is different but you should have a 12 Volt fuse panel and the fuse should be in there.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Remove the base plate. Pull on the wire. Probably has an inline fuse in the wall. These things have power on them all the time.These thing stay hot all the time.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #9

THOR #17462
Thanks everyone for the amazing thoughts!

I'm going to synthesize all these and then get to work and will report back.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:14 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHTP View Post
Thanks everyone for the amazing thoughts!

I'm going to synthesize all these and then get to work and will report back.
Don't fall asleep in the RV until you report back with the resolution
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-07-2020, 01:35 AM   #11

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You don't mention what type of rig this is in. It would help if folks knew what model coach because they might be able to tell you where the fuse panel is.
The OP mentioned in another post: 25 year old RV (30' Hurricane)
Old 05-07-2020, 01:46 AM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
The OP mentioned in another post: 25 year old RV (30' Hurricane)
did they even make fuses 25 years ago

It has to be inline fuse now, no doubt about it.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #13

Model: chateau
State: Ohio
THOR #783
We have had fuses needing replace in our Thor and looked in the book. It tell you what all the fuse numbers go to. Also was shown by RV repairer there is an extra fuse box hidden beneath one of the seats in the booth. You can't find it without taking the seat out. We know know where all the fuses are when needed.

Dianizon
Old 05-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianizon View Post
We have had fuses needing replace in our Thor and looked in the book. It tell you what all the fuse numbers go to. Also was shown by RV repairer there is an extra fuse box hidden beneath one of the seats in the booth. You can't find it without taking the seat out. We know know where all the fuses are when needed.

Dianizon
What book would that be?
Old 05-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #15

State: Michigan
THOR #16909
I have a 2009 31' Hurricane and My LP detector is somehow connected to the ground fault plug above the sink. If we plug in one too many electrical items in the vicinity of the sink the GFP will blow and the LP detector does not work. I unplugged the toaster or whatever, reset the button and LP detector comes back with a beep. I did have to replace the GFP once because it would not reset.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #16

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
I have a 2009 31' Hurricane and My LP detector is somehow connected to the ground fault plug above the sink. If we plug in one too many electrical items in the vicinity of the sink the GFP will blow and the LP detector does not work. I unplugged the toaster or whatever, reset the button and LP detector comes back with a beep. I did have to replace the GFP once because it would not reset.
You LP detector is SHOULD be 12 volts . Not 120. If you were boon docking and not running the generator you would not have a working detector. It defiantly should NOT be on GFI circuit. Only 120 outlets within 6' of a water supply are required to be on a GFI. It would be unsafe to put a LP detector in the GFI circuit.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:14 PM   #17

State: Michigan
THOR #16909
That is probably true but I am just relating my experience. Could the older RV LP detectors have a 9v battery backup in the detector and run off 120 like my one I have in my house? And could the 9v battery have been bad on mine at the time? The GFP is above the sink area and is mounted in an external box between the sink and stove. It also controls the plug on the other side of the Stove. I am not original owner of RV and previous owners may have added the GFP.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #18

THOR #15553
Quote:
That is probably true but I am just relating my experience. Could the older RV LP detectors have a 9v battery backup in the detector and run off 120 like my one I have in my house? And could the 9v battery have been bad on mine at the time? The GFP is above the sink area and is mounted in an external box between the sink and stove. It also controls the plug on the other side of the Stove. I am not original owner of RV and previous owners may have added the GFP.
'09 is not considered an older unit. GFI would have been factory. Detector would be 12 volt. Look at the date on the back of the detector. They do time out. Should be replaced every 7 years. You can learn alot about your RV from Google. Just ask.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
GFCI don't trip on overload, they trip on ground faults. And as Cavie said and pointed out by the OP in this thread, propane detectors are 12 VDC powered devices.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #20

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
GFCI don't trip on overload, they trip on ground faults. And as Cavie said and pointed out by the OP in this thread, propane detectors are 12 VDC powered devices.
Let me clairify that a little. GFI outlets trip on ground faults. GFI breakers trip on overload and ground faults. You only find GFI breakers on the higher end MH.