Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Whirlpool Residential Refrigerator Door Bins

I've had two of them break in the exact same spot. Replaced one last year for $20. Now they're $28.

The problem is we travel with a full fridge. I fill the bins with condiments, milk, and other similar containers. I don't over stuff them but they are as full as the available space they provide. It appears when the road is rough the weight of the items in the bins "bounces" and breaks the solid white plastic top trim, the part that supports the bin in the door, causing it to separate from the clear plastic bin part. The bin will no longer stay attached to the door when that happens. If you look at the pictures below you can see that there isn't much holding that trim piece to the bin. All the weight is held by that point.

We traveled down I-4 through Orlando last Friday and that's when I think the most recent breakage occurred. (Those in FL will understand what a nightmare that drive is these days) I do not want to spend more money on the same bins that will just break again. I noticed that my 10 year old Kenmore fridge in the house has the exact same size and shape as the bins in the Whirlpool, but they are made of a solid molded piece of plastic, and as such may hold up better. (See second set of pics) I am thinking of either buying those types of bins to replace the ones that will eventually break in the RV fridge, or even just swapping bins between the two refrigerators.

Has anyone else had this happen? What was your solution??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8839.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	9756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8840.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	9757  

Name:	IMG_8841.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	9758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8850.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	9759  

Name:	IMG_8851.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	9760  

Old 04-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
I have found two things when loading the refrigerator for travel. One is the issue you are having and two the refrigerator door wants to sag. So our fix is when traveling (moving) everything gets stored on the shelves and once camp has been made, organize the refrigerator the way you want it. This may cause the shelves to be very full during travel but refrigerator bars keep everything in place.

Best of luck finding a solution.