Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Colorado
THOR #11850
Whistle noise in Miramar 34.4

We had a irritating whistle while driving our new Miramar. It started at about 35 mph and continued. We were at a loss to evaluate it. We decided on our trip home to use blue painting tape to try to locate the whistle. Worked well with some patience. We taped various areas, drove for a while, if noise continued we taped another area. Took us some time but we located the whistle coming from the bottom seal on the windshield. Felt great to locate it. Now I need to seal it. Any suggestions as to the best product to seal between the rubber and the metal on the front of the vehicle??

Old 09-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #2

State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I've had good luck with Flex Seal caulking. I used it on all my slide trim, around the hot water heater and outside TV. It doesn't seem to dry out or get brittle and is very simple to apply.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #3

State: Virginia
THOR #5560
I have used flex seal on different areas to seal water out, but have not tried the flex seal caulking for anything yet. I am sure that that product is as good as the rest of the flex seal products then it should do the job. On the other hand I have used the Gorilla brand caulking and that worked well too.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #4

State: Virginia
THOR #5560
*** On a side note***

Have either of you had a problem with the outside kitchen door popping open while you are driving? Mine has come open twice and each time I know it was shut and locked. The second time, I unfortunately hit a sign on the side of the road and have a big dent in the leading edge of the door, it still closes but I have to get it fixed.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I’ve dealt with this problem before. Go to an auto glass shop and have them reseal your windshield. The shop will have a special tool to inject sealer under the rubber gasket, normally very inexpensive to have done.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #6

State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiramarVA View Post
*** On a side note***

Have either of you had a problem with the outside kitchen door popping open while you are driving? Mine has come open twice and each time I know it was shut and locked. The second time, I unfortunately hit a sign on the side of the road and have a big dent in the leading edge of the door, it still closes but I have to get it fixed.
I haven't had that problem. I would try backing off the screws maybe half turn and see if that helps. My guess is the latch is too tight and not allowing the latch to fully engage.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I had the same problem on my Windsport, fortunately no damage. I had to spend some time adjusting the latch mechanism along with some silicone spray, no problems now. I used a couple of short pieces of paracord with a knot on the end, I put the knotted end inside the compartment, closed the door and pulled on the cord to see if the door would pop open. After several adjustments and cord pulls to simulate bouncing down the road I think I got door fixed. I used the cord to test all of my doors but only had one that popped open.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #8

State: Colorado
THOR #11850
Whistle followup

After locating the whistle coming from the bottom seal on my windshield I took it to a glass shop here. They resealed the bottom on the windshield and the whistle is gone.