Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: British Columbia
THOR #11058
Whistling

I have a 2018 Windsport 29m and am getting an annoying whistle from somewhere outside. Does anyone have the same issue and a fix?
Thanks

Old 09-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I recall folks getting replacement grilles from Thor, and it always seemed to solve the issue.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric27 View Post
I have a 2018 Windsport 29m and am getting an annoying whistle from somewhere outside. Does anyone have the same issue and a fix?
Thanks
Look under Modifications and Updates on the first page for ideas and fixes. I have the same issue but have gotten no help from Camping World or Thor so far but I'm still working on it. keep us updated.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:50 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #11919
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptut View Post
Look under Modifications and Updates on the first page for ideas and fixes. I have the same issue but have gotten no help from Camping World or Thor so far but I'm still working on it. keep us updated.

Same RV. Took it to my dealer; they approached Thor who is going to send an insert to install behind the grill to “change” the shape of the holes in the original grill. Common problem as pointed out in the other replies. Your dealer might have better luck with Thor.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #5

THOR #4735
is it your neighbor?? : )
Old 09-25-2018, 03:15 AM   #6

State: British Columbia
THOR #11058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlleml View Post
Same RV. Took it to my dealer; they approached Thor who is going to send an insert to install behind the grill to “change” the shape of the holes in the original grill. Common problem as pointed out in the other replies. Your dealer might have better luck with Thor.
Thanks. I’m thinking the same thing
Old 09-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I spent about an hour adjusting the engine “hood” for a better and tighter fit, this stopped the whistling sound.

I also called Thor and they sent me a black mesh screen for the grill. Easy to install the screen, remove a few nuts that hold the grill in place, cut the screen to fit in front of the grill and then reinstall. Took about 30 min, really easy.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #8

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I had the same thing, the grill would whistle when it rained. I was still under warranty, so I called Thor and told CW to also call Thor. Thor sent the grill to CW and they replaced it. The new grill is the honeycomb shape holes. You may have to follow up withThor to make sure that CW actually calls them.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Your RV is working hard, to make sure that your trip is enjoyable:

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #10

Model: 29M Windsport
THOR #12172
After calling Camping World after they had it for 40 days and sprayed foam to fix this grill problem I tried Thor again and talked to the right person this time. I told them that CW didn't help and I did my research on line, I removed my grill and that fixed the problem. Thor is sending me another new grill to the house. That will save me another 180 mile round trip to CW. life just got better!
Old 09-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptut View Post
After calling Camping World after they had it for 40 days and sprayed foam to fix this grill problem I tried Thor again and talked to the right person this time. I told them that CW didn't help and I did my research on line, I removed my grill and that fixed the problem. Thor is sending me another new grill to the house. That will save me another 180 mile round trip to CW. life just got better!
Old 09-20-2020, 03:23 AM   #12

State: Florida
THOR #19968
I'm having the same issue with my 2018 Windsport 34J. Thor sent me the mesh screen but I've seen some on here mention that they installed it behind the grill and others that said in front of the grill. Which is it? Do I just remove the grill, place this new mesh in front of it, then reinstall the original grill with the new mesh in the front?
Old 09-20-2020, 03:41 AM   #13

THOR #11919
Do not remove the grill. Simply cut the screen to size, place it behind the grill and attach it to the grill with zip ties. Works well.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:20 PM   #14

Model: 29 M Hurricane
THOR #14300
Check the locks on your drivers and passenger windows. We had a terrible high pitched whistle on our 29M Hurricane. Was really hard to locate. I resealed all around the windows, installed a mesh screen as suggested over my grille, lubricated all the window components and seals. The squeal started at around 35 mph and at 60 was to the point I had to wear foam ear plugs. I always thought the leak was on the drivers side window. On our last trip it popped up again. As we are driving my wife takes her window lock and puts into the unlocked position. Whistle is gone ! Lock the window it’s back. The lock in the closed position pushed the outer pane of glass out less than the thickness of a piece of paper creating a gap between the 2 windows. We’ve not had it come back since and this was after a year of trying to track it down. Worth giving it a try.
RecPro Recliners
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:42 PM   #15

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilobob View Post
Check the locks on your drivers and passenger windows. We had a terrible high pitched whistle on our 29M Hurricane. Was really hard to locate. I resealed all around the windows, installed a mesh screen as suggested over my grille, lubricated all the window components and seals. The squeal started at around 35 mph and at 60 was to the point I had to wear foam ear plugs. I always thought the leak was on the drivers side window. On our last trip it popped up again. As we are driving my wife takes her window lock and puts into the unlocked position. Whistle is gone ! Lock the window it’s back. The lock in the closed position pushed the outer pane of glass out less than the thickness of a piece of paper creating a gap between the 2 windows. We’ve not had it come back since and this was after a year of trying to track it down. Worth giving it a try.
Spray some dry lube silicone on the window track. What's happening to you is the window isn't going in far enough causing the lock to not seat properly. The lube will allow the window to close just a bit further giving the lock the proper clearance
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:34 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Spray some dry lube silicone on the window track. What's happening to you is the window isn't going in far enough causing the lock to not seat properly. The lube will allow the window to close just a bit further giving the lock the proper clearance
Ditto. My windows will whistle when I fail to clean and dry lube the tracks.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:48 AM   #17

State: Massachusetts
THOR #18328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlleml View Post
Do not remove the grill. Simply cut the screen to size, place it behind the grill and attach it to the grill with zip ties. Works well.
Is this something you have to get from Thor? Or is there something aftermarket that is easier to get and would solve the problem?
Old 10-05-2020, 02:13 AM   #18

THOR #11919
I got mine from Thor thru the dealer . I’m told you can get it by calling Thor directly though.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:21 AM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Screen can be purchased at Lowes, HomeDepot, or any hardware store.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote