Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yeah I decided yesterday afternoon I was done with this tread.

I keep trying to explain but it falls on deaf ears. They are NOT the same.... end of story. Buy what you want , believe what you want to believe and move on. I have.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #42

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
I finally gave up on the rarely anything worth reading.
User CP, Edit Options, Edit Ignore List, , Save Changes
Old 07-16-2020, 12:07 AM   #43

Model: Hurican 34P
State: Maryland
THOR #17588
I haven’t installed either yet on my current rig, but I have had a steering damper on my 4x4 Winnebago Brave (yes, we converted a 79, she was a beast) and the steering stabilizers on a Class C 4x4 Quigley converted RV.

The damper is just that, a steering damper (basically a shock absorber).
The steering stabilizers (Safe-T-Plus, Roadmaster, etc.) has the absorber, PLUS opposing springs to obtain a return to center. So, the steering stabilizer does double duty. Therefore, in some cases it’s considered a much superior product.

The Steering stabilizers with opposing springs will do a much better job of preventing loss of steering control during a blow out, hitting a pothole and/or running off, or returning to, the pavement.

I didn’t beat a horse, and no animals we hurt in my testing…. Well except for that critter crossing the road and someone’s feelings once…
Old 07-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #44

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
Steering stabilizers and dampeners do the same thing. What is the value of spending $400 for Saf-T-Plus vs. $120 for Bilstein???
I can't comment on the Saf-T-Plus, but I did install the Bilstein 5100 not long after I bought the Vegas. It is a major improvement over the Ford OEM part and seems more than adequate. I noticed a big improvement "lane wander".
Old 07-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #45

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Alabama
THOR #18612
I made the trip out to Safe-T-Plus in west Georgia yesterday for the install. After waiting for a few big rigs, they installed it on my 24.1 pretty quickly and spent time with me road testing it. We would stop along the way and the tech would hop out and make some adjustments. It took 3 tries to get it right. I immediately noticed the reduced land wandering, the way that the rig adjusted to the semis going past me on the highway, and the reduced “play” in the steering. I am happy with the improvements and the Safe-T-Plus folks were great.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:27 PM   #46

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
I can't comment on the Saf-T-Plus, but I did install the Bilstein 5100 not long after I bought the Vegas. It is a major improvement over the Ford OEM part and seems more than adequate. I noticed a big improvement "lane wander".
I purchased the Bilstein 5100 off Amazon over a year ago.
Was an ez install, plug n play.
I paid $92.
It's $87 now.

I really like the results and highly recommend
A totally different feel vs the stock/OEM Ford steering damper
Old 07-17-2020, 12:12 AM   #47

State: Colorado
THOR #12345
I added my Bilstein Steering Stabilizer yesterday. My steering is now night and day...I no longer feel like I am steering a boat.

Now... it feels like I am driving my Honda Ridgeline truck when I drive my 32 foot Class C.

In addition to the Bilstein I have front black Sumo Springs. While driving on a two lane highway the wind was blowing fairly hard, and a semi truck passed me going the other way...I barely felt them both!!!

It literally feels like I am driving a different RV!!!! Each item took about 30 minutes to install and together they cost less than $300.00.

Do it if you haven’t done so already. Also, I am not experiencing any issues with pulling to the left...my coach is driving straight and true!!!
Old 07-17-2020, 12:29 AM   #48
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduff View Post
I added my Bilstein Steering Stabilizer yesterday. My steering is now night and day...I no longer feel like I am steering a boat.

Now... it feels like I am driving my Honda Ridgeline truck when I drive my 32 foot Class C.

In addition to the Bilstein I have front black Sumo Springs. While driving on a two lane highway the wind was blowing fairly hard, and a semi truck passed me going the other way...I barely felt them both!!!

It literally feels like I am driving a different RV!!!! Each item took about 30 minutes to install and together they cost less than $300.00.

Do it if you haven’t done so already. Also, I am not experiencing any issues with pulling to the left...my coach is driving straight and true!!!
Bilstein doesn't make Steering Stabilizers, they make Steering Dampeners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilstein Website
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Bilstein B8 5100 (Steering Damper) is designed as an upgrade to factory steering dampers on trucks and SUVs. Utilizing our proven design, these steering dampers are able to dampen minute movements in the steering and reduce steering vibrations that naturally occur, especially in older vehicles. These steering dampers are zinc coated for resistance to harsh elements and match to all B8 5100 series products. B8 5100 (Steering Damper) will offer a significant improvement in steering, handling and comfort.
Calling a dampener a stabilizer confuses some people.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:27 AM   #49

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Thanks for clarifying
The Bilstein damper is bigger & better than the undersized Ford OEM damper.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #50

State: Colorado
THOR #12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

I agree, however, I still called it a stabilizer because it is a term that more people are familiar with.

Personally, I still believe it still stabilizes even though it does not have the return to center properties of the Safe T Plus or the Roadmaster.

Before I installed it my steering squirrelly and all over the place...now it is stable and not all loosey goosey lime it was before.

Hmmmm maybe I will refer to it as a dampener that stabilizes the steering?
Old 07-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #51

State: Indiana
THOR #4813
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Ducksface; It seems you like an argument just for the sake of arguing. I don't know of any $80 spring assisted steering device; and I don't know of any $5000 one either. The two premier devices are Safe-t-plus and roadmaster, both in the 4-600 range. It's certainly not a "chrome adds horsepower" thing. It's a "I'm safer on the road with this" thing. It gives the steering a firmness that aids in correcting from wind gusts and trucks passing. It gives peace of mind if/when you have a tire blowout, that the device will help recover the steering back to neutral. There are many testimonies that tell of the advantages to having one when a tire lets go.
Thank you for the post to Duck Face. I agree with you. It seems when someone comes to this forum to ask a question, there’s always a “know it all” or someone that feels they are superior to everyone else or argumentative. It gets old.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:00 AM   #52

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Since I can't get anyone to give the answer I'll break it down to two different questions:

Whats the real difference in performance between a 80 dollar stabilizer and a 500 dollar stabilizer?

What's the real difference between a 80 dollar damper and a 500 dollar damper?
The difference is $420

Man this thread was a tough read

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote